About to lock horns with Ford. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
About to lock horns with Ford.

About to lock horns with Ford on a long shot & I need some ammo. 2008 6.4 high pressure fuel pump has failed, resulting in a quote of over 9,000.00 for full replacement of all fuel system components past the pump. Fine metal shavings have been distributed through the system to the injectors. The truck has 90k on the chassis, but it had a motor at 50k. (we found out later - bought it used). Here's my problem. My husband in a rush brought it down to the dealer for another, unrelated problem. When he parked it he forgot to take the stacks home and deprogram the chip before he left the keys. So after he got in a pissing match with the tech (who was wrong btw) , they were sure to void the warranty in the system.
Now a diff dealer mech has backed me a little saying the stacks did not cause the failure, give it a shot with Ford warranty. If they ask him, that's his story (and it's the truth). Anyone have any successes, failures, advice on a warranty battle? Letters, faxes email, a person? What worked, what didn't? I need tsb's, anecdotal stories, prescidences, anything. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I do feel for you and hate that you got a bill for such an outrageous amount BUT......if the HPFP failed it CAN and WILL be blamed on the truck being tuned!

Just my .02

Good Luck
Old 04-27-2010, 06:27 PM

Perfect example of the risks involved with messing around with the truck while under warranty. I'd love to get a Spartan set up, but you can be damn sure that I'll be taking the system out if I ever need to bring it in for anything.

I hope things go in your favor. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to ididntdoit5150 Send a message via Yahoo to ididntdoit5150
the tuner can absolutely be the cause of your problem and ford will say that. if you did not have a tuner and just had the stacks they might try to say they aren't going to warranty it and void your warranty but in that case obviously the stacks alone would not cause that problem and to truly deny you your warranty they would have to prove in a court of law that the stacks where the direct cause of the failure. but being that you have the tuner they would be able to prove that pretty easily
Old 04-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The pump failed due to water in the fuel. The mech & I both agree on that. I saw what came out of the seperator. But that's a long story. He assured me if I so much as mentioned water or even said the word to them I could kiss any chance of winning that one goodbye. I'm not sure what's in the computer system at Ford, if they even noticed the chip (he saw the codes were cleared, but assumed that was from the other shop) - everyone's seen the stacks. But then there's the radiator and the idler pully.... We had a '03 7L dump truck and a '99 V 10 dump. They did more work than this 08' has ever even thought about. No problems - really - NONE. What a tangled web we weave - when we cant wait for the 100 k warranty to be up. Bah - I could get an older gas job super duty (the WHOLE ENTIRE TRUCK !!!) for the price of the repair on this 08. I agree - spend your time under warranty planning for the fun after. Don't risk it, it's foolish.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:10 PM

The new ULSD is TERRIBLE for absorbing water, which is usually the case for a failed HPFP. To save yourself, you really need to drain your water separator every oil change and even use another separator system like an AirDog or FASS.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezmarelda View Post
The pump failed due to water in the fuel. The mech & I both agree on that. I saw what came out of the seperator. But that's a long story. He assured me if I so much as mentioned water or even said the word to them I could kiss any chance of winning that one goodbye. I'm not sure what's in the computer system at Ford, if they even noticed the chip (he saw the codes were cleared, but assumed that was from the other shop) - everyone's seen the stacks. But then there's the radiator and the idler pully.... We had a '03 7L dump truck and a '99 V 10 dump. They did more work than this 08' has ever even thought about. No problems - really - NONE. What a tangled web we weave - when we cant wait for the 100 k warranty to be up. Bah - I could get an older gas job super duty (the WHOLE ENTIRE TRUCK !!!) for the price of the repair on this 08. I agree - spend your time under warranty planning for the fun after. Don't risk it, it's foolish.
Water came out of the separator? Has it been drained at least once a month? Did your water in fuel indicator come on?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good question but NO Light!! And that was a stunner too. It was one big tank of crap - - I think fish could have swam in the very bottom okay!! It should have come on at some point but didn't. The problem started in the morning (with the bad fuel). It was running rough on the 1 1/2 hr trip to the job in the AM. On the way home it got progressively worse & Husb. suspected water, drained seperator couple times & got some additive at the truckstop on the way just to get home. Said it really ran okay over 1900 - 2000 rpm at first, but by the time it was home here it was really running bad. He knew when he shut it off to start draining the tank & filters ect it was bad fuel but NEVER saw a light on the dash. In the truck's life it was a three hour decline after that tank. The codes it carried at the first shop were low injector & low fuel rail pressure. Seems sensible. Now it's just a code RED!!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you are sure you got bad fuel......you may try to go after the station that you bought said tank of bad fuel from.........

Most stand up big name stations will stand up and accept the blame if you can prove that you bought the bad fuel from them
Old 04-28-2010, 08:09 AM

If it was bad fuel, then I'd claim it with your insurance company. I seem to recall that others have successfully used this approach. Let the insurance company go after the fuel station. Its worth a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.