Did I make a mistake buying a 6.4? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 08:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did I make a mistake buying a 6.4?

A bit late now, but man, the more I read on these forums the more I can't help but think I might have made a mistake.

I had a paid-for F-150 that just wasn't cutting it pullng a travel trailer I bought in December. I bought the trailer specifically spec'ed for the 150 to handle it, but it just wasn't working. 1000 pounds under rated capacity and completely unstable on the road even after professional setup assistance. so, a 3/4 ton was in the stars I suppose. I looked at all the brands and actually prefered the overall package of the super duty. Look, feel, etc. My plan was then to find a gasser, but the V10 models on both new and resale market around here seem rare. Almost went for the Dodge...found a left over 2009 hemi gasser and a 6.7 cumins. Problem there was the wrapper those motors are in.

sorry, long story short, I ultimately went to Huntington Beach Ford to look at a used unit from their incredible selection (70 used units on the lot!) but the one I went there for was gone and the rest were mostly 6.0 motors and I've heard way to many stories about those. In the end, we struck a good deal on a new 2010 unit with the 6.4 and the new car scent won me over! It's also nice having warranty for any isuses.

Anyway, I've been thrilled with it so far. I have high expectations for my first tow, and hope it brings years of good service. Maybe I need to just stop reading these forums and enjoy it. who knows. But man, I can't help but question my decision with so many problems being reported here and elsewhere. I know the other two big brands have issues too, but ...

I know there are one or two threads here with people loving their trucks. I hope to hear more of that here I suppose. Help me shake this mild case of buyers remorse!

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you will see alot more people writing about there problems then there succeses and think about how many are on the road just stay up on service and you will love your powerstroke
Old 04-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
what issues do you think your going to encounter? the 6.4L is a great platform... only thing your going to hate is the MPG.. but that can easily be fixed with a dpf delete tuner and exhaust...

-Raul
Old 04-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Can you reasonably put on a dgf delete and a tuner in Southern California - Huntington Beach?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1macarr View Post
Can you reasonably put on a dgf delete and a tuner in Southern California - Huntington Beach?
i know plenty of people with it deleted youll just have to put it back on for inspection...

-Raul
Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What about routine service at the dealer?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sleep well at night. I think Kingranch89 hit the nail on the head. People only type when they gripe. On the other hand, if these trucks weren't so reliable, we wouldn't have so many unrelated Forums like, shooting, RV's, camping, Girls & guns, Stupid pics, what do you tow, family friends, etc...etc...These guys certainly are not experiencing any problems with their Fords.

Relax, you got the warranty, enjoy. Go
Old 04-19-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
what issues do you think your going to encounter? the 6.4L is a great platform... only thing your going to hate is the MPG.. but that can easily be fixed with a dpf delete tuner and exhaust...

-Raul
Thanks. I'm still learning what that whole dpf process even is. I don't think I'm ready to start messing with that just yet, but maybe at some point. I have no idea what's even involved. I really don't know what problems I'm expecting. None I hope! I guess I'm just reading the wrong sections. It is a bit discouraging to be reading about all the different issues people are reporting. I willtake care of therig and hopefully the rig will take care of me.

Cheers

mike
Old 04-19-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1macarr View Post
What about routine service at the dealer?
I would be worried about that too. I suspect if they notice something modified heavily (and I really have no idea what the whole dpf delete thing even is) they would notate it in the records.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch89 View Post
you will see alot more people writing about there problems then there succeses and think about how many are on the road just stay up on service and you will love your powerstroke
Good point. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.