08 F350 Fuel tank question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-15-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 F350 Fuel tank question

I have a 30 gallon tank and after filling it up all the way to the cap it only says I have like 328 miles to E does this seem wrong? What does every one elses say.

Thanks
NO J.O.B. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 04-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Emergency Services

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO J.O.B. View Post
I have a 30 gallon tank and after filling it up all the way to the cap it only says I have like 328 miles to E does this seem wrong? What does every one elses say.

Thanks
Think it depends on what your avg. mpg's are. That is what I noticed. Do you reset your average mpg's everytime you fill fillup? That may make a difference in the DTE but not initally because it seems like you have to put some miles on it first.

2008 F-350 6.4 Power Stroke 4X4
CC LWB SRW Auto 3.73's
BigIslandBoy is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 04-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
mdavis203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nederland, TX
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine's an '08 250, but I noticed something similar. Except the first couple of tanks (had 17K on it when I bought it), I filled up when it got to about 50 MTE, but the truck only held 20 gallons. I was about to take it back to the dealer to get the gauge recalibrated. Anyone got info on this?

"Did you see the size of that chicken?!?"

'08 F250 King Ranch: Spartanized! +250HP tune, AFE Stage II Cold Air Intake w/ PG7 Filter. Harley Headlights. Recon Mirror Lights, Tail Lights, and 3rd Brake Light.

mdavis203 is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 04-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I can never put more then about 26-27 gallons in mine. My dte says 500 when I fill it up. It goes down a lot faster then that and it also says I get 15+ mpg.

F250 reg cab short bed
JMart is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 04-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Premium Member
 
mor4wd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Texas
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The DTE is calculated based off the internal MPG meter, not the one you can reset. The PCM keeps a continual track of MPG throughout the life of the truck that can't be reset and uses that to calculate DTE. My guess is the previous owner got bad MPG by driving too fast and has skewed your internal meter. Give it time, it'll come up. I had to put 12,000 miles on mine before it started to read more accurately based off the way I drive instead of the previous owner.

2011 F350 Lariat SRW Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 6.7 H&S Mini Maxx DPF Delete EGR Delete running 265/70/19.5's

Quote:
Originally Posted by magzne1 View Post
Chevy comercials are like OBAMA, ALL B.S. over promise and under deliver
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor73402 View Post
This stuff isn't as simple as tuning your TiVo to record your Jerry Springer re-runs while your out cruising Wal-mart parking lot for transexual hookers.
mor4wd is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 04-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mor4wd View Post
The DTE is calculated based off the internal MPG meter, not the one you can reset. The PCM keeps a continual track of MPG throughout the life of the truck that can't be reset and uses that to calculate DTE. My guess is the previous owner got bad MPG by driving too fast and has skewed your internal meter. Give it time, it'll come up. I had to put 12,000 miles on mine before it started to read more accurately based off the way I drive instead of the previous owner.
Really? Mine is all screwed up then. It says 500 miles to empty but I usually only get about 300.

F250 reg cab short bed
JMart is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 04-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Premium Member
 
mor4wd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Texas
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
JMart: Did you buy your truck used? If so then the previous owner probably drove it slower than you. I notice your sig says you get 11.8 MPG. I typically get 18-20 MPG by keeping it under 70 mph or under 2000 rpm. I know they drive faster in Texas, but you can save big money by going slower. Even if I drive 72 mph, my MPG drops to 11-13.

2011 F350 Lariat SRW Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 6.7 H&S Mini Maxx DPF Delete EGR Delete running 265/70/19.5's

Quote:
Originally Posted by magzne1 View Post
Chevy comercials are like OBAMA, ALL B.S. over promise and under deliver
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor73402 View Post
This stuff isn't as simple as tuning your TiVo to record your Jerry Springer re-runs while your out cruising Wal-mart parking lot for transexual hookers.
mor4wd is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 04-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mor4wd View Post
JMart: Did you buy your truck used? If so then the previous owner probably drove it slower than you. I notice your sig says you get 11.8 MPG. I typically get 18-20 MPG by keeping it under 70 mph or under 2000 rpm. I know they drive faster in Texas, but you can save big money by going slower. Even if I drive 72 mph, my MPG drops to 11-13.
Nope I bought it new 2 years ago.

F250 reg cab short bed
JMart is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 04-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
rodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southwest CO
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine usually says 650+ and I consistantly get 530+ actual... THANK YOU SPARTAN!!!!!!

-2008 6.4l FX4 CC
-2010 F150 4X4 CC
rodo is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 04-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
mdavis203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nederland, TX
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What bugs me is that it'll get down below 50 miles to empty and the light will come on. But it will only hold 20 gallons. Meaning I get a low fuel light with 10+ gallons still in the tank.

"Did you see the size of that chicken?!?"

'08 F250 King Ranch: Spartanized! +250HP tune, AFE Stage II Cold Air Intake w/ PG7 Filter. Harley Headlights. Recon Mirror Lights, Tail Lights, and 3rd Brake Light.

mdavis203 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome