08 F350 Fuel tank question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 F350 Fuel tank question

I have a 30 gallon tank and after filling it up all the way to the cap it only says I have like 328 miles to E does this seem wrong? What does every one elses say.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO J.O.B. View Post
I have a 30 gallon tank and after filling it up all the way to the cap it only says I have like 328 miles to E does this seem wrong? What does every one elses say.

Thanks
Think it depends on what your avg. mpg's are. That is what I noticed. Do you reset your average mpg's everytime you fill fillup? That may make a difference in the DTE but not initally because it seems like you have to put some miles on it first.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine's an '08 250, but I noticed something similar. Except the first couple of tanks (had 17K on it when I bought it), I filled up when it got to about 50 MTE, but the truck only held 20 gallons. I was about to take it back to the dealer to get the gauge recalibrated. Anyone got info on this?
Old 04-15-2010, 06:01 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I can never put more then about 26-27 gallons in mine. My dte says 500 when I fill it up. It goes down a lot faster then that and it also says I get 15+ mpg.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

The DTE is calculated based off the internal MPG meter, not the one you can reset. The PCM keeps a continual track of MPG throughout the life of the truck that can't be reset and uses that to calculate DTE. My guess is the previous owner got bad MPG by driving too fast and has skewed your internal meter. Give it time, it'll come up. I had to put 12,000 miles on mine before it started to read more accurately based off the way I drive instead of the previous owner.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mor4wd View Post
The DTE is calculated based off the internal MPG meter, not the one you can reset. The PCM keeps a continual track of MPG throughout the life of the truck that can't be reset and uses that to calculate DTE. My guess is the previous owner got bad MPG by driving too fast and has skewed your internal meter. Give it time, it'll come up. I had to put 12,000 miles on mine before it started to read more accurately based off the way I drive instead of the previous owner.
Really? Mine is all screwed up then. It says 500 miles to empty but I usually only get about 300.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

JMart: Did you buy your truck used? If so then the previous owner probably drove it slower than you. I notice your sig says you get 11.8 MPG. I typically get 18-20 MPG by keeping it under 70 mph or under 2000 rpm. I know they drive faster in Texas, but you can save big money by going slower. Even if I drive 72 mph, my MPG drops to 11-13.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mor4wd View Post
JMart: Did you buy your truck used? If so then the previous owner probably drove it slower than you. I notice your sig says you get 11.8 MPG. I typically get 18-20 MPG by keeping it under 70 mph or under 2000 rpm. I know they drive faster in Texas, but you can save big money by going slower. Even if I drive 72 mph, my MPG drops to 11-13.
Nope I bought it new 2 years ago.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:40 PM

Mine usually says 650+ and I consistantly get 530+ actual... THANK YOU SPARTAN!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:37 PM

What bugs me is that it'll get down below 50 miles to empty and the light will come on. But it will only hold 20 gallons. Meaning I get a low fuel light with 10+ gallons still in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.