When do you change oil and which oil do you use? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When do you change oil and which oil do you use?

At what miles or kilometers do you change oil? What do you use, 10-30 or 15-40. My dealer says they got a notice from ford in early 2008 that you can use 10-30 all year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

2006 6.0L. Change oil and filter every 5K. Use Motorcraft Filter and Mobil 1 5w40 Full Synthetic (Turbo Diesel Truck) Oil.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to Dusten
skanjo, he posted this in the 6.4 forums.
I change mine at 5-7k and use 15-40
Old 04-10-2010, 08:23 PM

5k, 15w-40 Rotella
Old 04-10-2010, 08:54 PM

5-7 K. 5w40 Rotella Full Synthetic
Old 04-11-2010, 04:47 AM
Serving Our Country!

5K. 5W40 Rotella Full Synthetic.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:50 AM

7k Motorcraft Full Synthetic with BG DOC additive .
Old 04-11-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
2006 6.0L. Change oil and filter every 5K. Use Motorcraft Filter and Mobil 1 5w40 Full Synthetic (Turbo Diesel Truck) Oil.
skanj0....as the owner of a 2006 6.0 you should know better than posting a comment in a 6.4 forum. Owners of 6.4 don't use the same oil or maintenance change schedule as the 6.0 engine…the 6.4 is a radically different design over the 6.0…”nothing” is the same. If I’m not mistaking the 6.4 uses its own oil of a completely different oil weight and change schedule so the relevance between the two are not the same and would simply confuse the matter.

I would be surprised if any one of them used 5w/40w Full Synthetic or would even consider changing their oil at the 5k intervals as you have described as part of your maintenance schedule with your 6.0 engine.

Also last night, I stood corrected by receiving a PM after I posted about cleaning leather seats that was posted in the 6.4 forum. I did not realize that there was a difference and that the 6.4 has a special leather seat much different than the 6.0 leather seats in our trucks.

Well you learn something new every day….like don’t post on a 6.4 forum if you own a 6.0. It kind of makes you feel like you have the..

6.4 vrs 6.0 oil changes….apples and oranges…
Old 04-11-2010, 12:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to Dusten
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBoss View Post
skanj0....as the owner of a 2006 6.0 you should know better than posting a comment in a 6.4 forum. Owners of 6.4 don't use the same oil or maintenance change schedule as the 6.0 engine…the 6.4 is a radically different design over the 6.0…”nothing” is the same. If I’m not mistaking the 6.4 uses its own oil of a completely different oil weight and change schedule so the relevance between the two are not the same and would simply confuse the matter.

I would be surprised if any one of them used 5w/40w Full Synthetic or would even consider changing their oil at the 5k intervals as you have described as part of your maintenance schedule with your 6.0 engine.

Also last night, I stood corrected by receiving a PM after I posted about cleaning leather seats that was posted in the 6.4 forum. I did not realize that there was a difference and that the 6.4 has a special leather seat much different than the 6.0 leather seats in our trucks.

Well you learn something new every day….like don’t post on a 6.4 forum if you own a 6.0. It kind of makes you feel like you have the..

6.4 vrs 6.0 oil changes….apples and oranges…
I love how the 6.0 guys always get their feelings hurt when people point out that the question is different. And FWIW, if the 6.4 has the DPF in place and is in regen, its oil changes are going to be different than that of a 6.0. That is unless your 6.0 is dumping raw fuel... than we're even
Old 04-11-2010, 01:35 PM

5k miles. Motorcraft filter and Motorcraft 15w-40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.