HELP---Should I buy a 6.4 08'? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP---Should I buy a 6.4 08'?

Need to make a decision tonight...

Looking to get back in the Powerstroke world, I use to have an 07 F250 Turbo Diesel, Found a 2008 with less than 20k miles for $32k. Just sold my GMC Sierra 6.0L Vortec because of the horrible MPG (getting 11.7 avg).

Upon my research, it sounds like 6.4L owners are not happy with their truck MPG. I don't expect to much, but I hope I can get over 17 MPG hwy and hopefully 14-15 avg.

I'm seeing people report from 10 to 18 MPG, seems like there's no consistency.

1. What should I expect on a 6.4 if I chip it with and exhaust with stock wheels?

2. What should I expect with a 6" lift and 37" tires?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Warheads on Foreheads

these trucks tuned with DPF delete can get great MPG, tons of power, and better reliability then stock. With stock wheels people are getting any where from 12-16 city and 16-18 highway or better. Now deleting the DPF will void your warranty if caught by Ford, but it might be worth the risk to get the results you want out of these trucks.

I'm sure others will chime in with more/better info. Just look around the site there's tons of good info.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, when you mean tune, are you referring to just a chip? Also, how do you delete the DPF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutydixie View Post
these trucks tuned with DPF delete can get great MPG, tons of power, and better reliability then stock. With stock wheels people are getting any where from 12-16 city and 16-18 highway or better. Now deleting the DPF will void your warranty if caught by Ford, but it might be worth the risk to get the results you want out of these trucks.

I'm sure others will chime in with more/better info. Just look around the site there's tons of good info.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Best ever stock has been 16mpg if I don't hit a regen cycle. Average about 13 mpg all highway. About 8 mpg towing 7k lbs.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:09 PM

MPG sucks DPF on, with DPF off i get 12.5 for city driving and 16 mpg highway.

love the truck otherwise
Old 04-08-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny9r View Post
MPG sucks DPF on, with DPF off i get 12.5 for city driving and 16 mpg highway.

love the truck otherwise
hmm not much difference from what I get with the dpf on. Mind you, my 35" tires don't help.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:10 AM

If your only reason to upgrade from the Chevy gasser, to the Ford 6.4 PSD is MPG's, then DON'T!!!

If you want to add a programmer and DPF delete because of any other reason other then MPG's, then do it, and a great side benefit is better MPG's. But if your are doing it for only MPG's, then save your money and buy 15 extra fill-ups.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelendy View Post
If your only reason to upgrade from the Chevy gasser, to the Ford 6.4 PSD is MPG's, then DON'T!!!

If you want to add a programmer and DPF delete because of any other reason other then MPG's, then do it, and a great side benefit is better MPG's. But if your are doing it for only MPG's, then save your money and buy 15 extra fill-ups.

Good advice
Old 04-09-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:

But on the 16th fill up, you can translate that into savings. Keeps fuel out of the crankcase, and in the event you want to burn the tires off, you can.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:

+1 on that.

I havent seen where the tuned trucks with the dpf delete are getting much better mileage than a stock truck. Most of the posts I've seen are reporting 14-16 mpgs. As my engine is getting broke in, I'm seeing my mpgs go up. My last tank was 14.4 mpg hand calculated on 70/30 hwy/city mix (non-tow), and I'm completely stock. As stated earlier, if you want a power boost get the tuner, not for mpg's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.