"Motors Need To Be Run Hard"..What Does This Mean? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
"Motors Need To Be Run Hard"..What Does This Mean?

I've read here and on various other sites that diesel motors need to be run hard. Does this mean an extended period of time, pulling a load, above a certain speed, or exactly what? This is my first diesel and I'm still learning about it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 10:23 AM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

All it means is not to be afraid to mash on the go pedle every once and a while. It helps clean out some of the carbon that might be clogging up the turbo.

Its nice to stay under 2k rpm all the time to save on fuel, but these trucks love to be used like they were designed. Load it up to its max and make it work don't be white haired grandpa all the time.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERED SPARKLESS View Post
All it means is not to be afraid to mash on the go pedle every once and a while. It helps clean out some of the carbon that might be clogging up the turbo.

Its nice to stay under 2k rpm all the time to save on fuel, but these trucks love to be used like they were designed. Load it up to its max and make it work don't be white haired grandpa all the time.
Exactly.....these are technically work trucks and they need to be driven like work trucks every once and while, ever wonder why a old work truck runs forever. Running hard means giving it hell when getting on the freeway or from a street light, but the best is when pulling a load so that what the truck can really clean itself out, just watch those EGTs
Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Just don't run it as hard as Julian does...they can blow up.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Henry View Post
Just don't run it as hard as Julian does...they can blow up.
Good point....x-nay on the John Force burnouts
Old 04-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Fairhaven,

Just understand that there is a huge difference between run / worked hard and abuse. If you abuse it, I promise it'll be in the shop or you'll be fixing on it often. Just don't be afraid to work it from time to time. A good run with a load on the I-state with various boost levels (can be obtained with normal driving) will do a great job. Since you're stock you don't want to spend the next few months & years driving short distances not letting the engine get up to a good operating temp. so it can move the build up from inside. Just remember working the truck is entirely different from abusing the truck. Abused diesel's are an expensive nightmare.

Last edited by Front Runner; 04-01-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Dont be afraid to stomp on them once in a while. Just be sure warmed up nicely first. Haul a truckload of mulch for the neighbors - or a couple of them - get a load on her - let the engine earn its pricetag!

These things love to be worked! Haul a load, tow an even bigger one. But like Front Runner and others have said - dont abuse them. There is a fine line on working and abusing - I've probably pushed mine a few time on that line. Its not unheard of for me to haul 4000lbs+ in the bed during winter on firewood deliveries - I can haul a full 1.25 cord of split seasoned Oak! Thats a lot of weight there! But she hauls it fine and loves it all the way! Keep your highway RPM's under 2k - you will appreciate the mileage increases then. But go ahead and shut down that Mustang GT or little ricer - the shocked look on their face when they get beat by a work truck is priceless (less the firewood mind you!) Especially rewarding when their girlfriend is laughing at them for getting beat by a big muddy truck! (Waldorf last year for me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.