6.4 Owners- Would you buy again if you knew the problems? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 Owners- Would you buy again if you knew the problems?

Hello all- new to the forums, been lurking a bit. Have always been a Cummins guy- and I say cummins because I really dislike the Dodge as a truck, but you buy a Dodge for the Cummins. I currently have a 2001 3500. Looking to replace the truck, and really like the look, ride and comfort of the 6.4. Then researching in to this, and realizing all the problems or potential problems has made me reconsider my thoughts. Cab removal for moderate repairs? Wow...So after searching through all of the threads here..... let me just throw out the question-

If you would have known about the problems with the 6.4, would you have bought it? Would you do it again?

Thanks, not a troll, just wanting to know from owners what they really think. I use me current truck not as much for towing but as a kennel truck in an dog rescue organization. Not so much weight, but I need the flatbed space for kennels and the big cab for my volunteers.

Thanks for you help.

SibeHaller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Premium Member

Not trying to get into an argument about Dodge/Ford, but I have a buddy that feels about the same way you do about the Dodge/Cummins combo and actually prefers the Ford truck, he just wanted the Cummins more. He has been telling me that the guys he knows with the new 6.7 Cummins have been having their fair share of problems too. Not sure exactly what. I don't have a 6.4 so I can't comment further than that. Just something else to consider.
-Aaron
Old 03-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I said it before and I'll say it agaion, I LOVE my 08 F350 6.4. If you properly maintain it including using the Ford diesel fuel additive and don't use it just to run back and forth to church, it's a great truck. A buddy of mine just sold his 08 to a friend of his and misses it after a week. He had 40k miles and no problems whatsoever. He'll buy a new 6.7 in no time. If I were going to purchase a used 6.4, I'd verify the servcie records and updates.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:32 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
Buddy has one with 35k no problems other than the charge air intake cooler or whatever it was. If I had the money I would buy one today
Old 03-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Emergency Services

what exactly are the problems?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 AM

I really wish I was a member of more diesel forums so I could read up on all these problems that 6.4s seem to be having. Cuz uh....over here where we're all superduty owners.........things aren't that bad. Has my truck been problem free? No, but it has been less probablematic than anyone I know with a DPF-equipped Dodge or Chevy. Is a 5.9 cummins LESS problematic? Probably, but as you've said the rest of the truck is junk. However, thats an apples to oranges comparison. ALL of the new DPF-equipped trucks are more problematic than their emissionsless counterparts, but Ford seems to have the fewest problems.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:12 AM

This is the second Ford PSD I have had since my 2000 7.3. Really did not care for it so got rid of it and went to a '99 Dodge Cummins. Liked it well enough that the wife also got a '02 Dodge Cummins. Long story short - had the need to tow a big 5th wheel and the '99 just would not do it well. Last June, both Dodge and Chevy were in the crapper and I was in the market for a new rig. Did not like anything about the Chevy Duramax body, frame or interior, and Dodge just did not have the load capacity I wanted. SO, bought a F-350 6.4 PSD and could not be happier! It is stock, will stay stock and has all the power and muscle I need to pull anything I want to. It is the most comfortable of the big 3 and has the most room. I would not hesitate to buy another '09 PSD. I would hold off on the 6.7's until they are proven, but the specs sure look great. By the way, the wife now drives the Ford and I have her Dodge as the daily driver.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SibeHaller View Post
If you would have known about the problems with the 6.4, would you have bought it? Would you do it again?

Thanks, not a troll, just wanting to know from owners what they really think.

SibeHaller
Got about 26 or 28k on mine. Never had any major issues. Love it. I'd buy another one in a heart beat.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the responses, and again, don't get me wrong, not trying to start any brand wars by any stretch. I'm getting 16mpg average with my 01 now, and am hearing of more like 12mpg with the 6.4. I do use my truck for longer distance drives, but the majority of my driving is shorter trips under 6-10 miles. Not the healthiest for a Diesel?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:41 AM

The fuel mileage does suck unless you do the DPF delete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.