Seriously... What's with Bill Hewitt? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Seriously... What's with Bill Hewitt?

Those of you seeking opinions on Bill Hewitt, here are opinions of FIVE Ford Diesel Certified Dealership techs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by forddoctorsdts.com thread entitled "Seriously... What's with Bill Hewitt?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Post by Alex Bruene
So, after expressing my feelings about Bill Hewitt, and his lack of knowledge and wealth of incorrect information with some of the folks at The Monkey House, I decided to peruse www.powerstrokehelp.com for the first time in a while. $99 per month to subscribe to a site that is riddled with inaccuracies and biased opinions sounds a bit skunky to me. Information like... "Don't remove the plug from the high pressure oil reservoir on a 7.3 while the engine is running, because there is over 3000 psi of oil pressure in there, and it will blow all over the place"... or "The main cause of 6.0 engine failures start with high EGT causing the headgaskets to fail, which in turn will cause the oil cooler to fail, then the water from the oil cooler will get into the oil pan, then the engine will get hot and cause the EGR cooler to fail, which will then cause the oil filter to melt and cause the engine to smell bad"... and so on. Or, is that how it really happens? Maybe I just don't know how the **** these things work.

I wonder how much $$$$$ Keith could make by charging the general public for accurate information, if this guy charges what he does for inaccurate information.

Rant over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Post By Jim Warman
You're right, Alex.... you don't realize how this stuff works...

People want a big assed TV so they can sit a foot away from it... they pay money....

People want a lage pizza with little dead fish things (oops, I meant anchovies).. they pay money....

People want information... they want to hear what they want to hear (in this case, they want to hear that they can add toys to their truck rather than having to do dreary things like operate it properly - it's a ****ing phallic symbol, not a machine!!!!!)... they will pay money.

Now, the problem with Keith and DTS is they will be forced to hear many truths... and the truth is something they are not willing to pay for...

When that website first started, I called them a bunch of spammy *******s... after that, they even let me join (I forgot I was a member until you rubbed my nose in it.... ).

I said it before... I say it again.... the world is filled with charlatans, pretenders and thieves. We need to drum these guys out of business. They are popular with the masses because they tell people what the people want to hear. And THAT is what will make it hard.

I turn 60 this year.... I don't have to put up with this **** for too much longer (no, I wont retire... retiring is simply the beginning of the end)... but most of you guys are looking at another 30 or 40 years. You can follow your career or job (your choice) wherever it takes you..... or you can study the ways that you can take your "trade" andf elevate it to a "profession".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Post By Keith Browning
Originally Posted By: AlexBruene
I wonder how much $$$$$ Keith could make by charging the general public for accurate information, if this guy charges what he does for inaccurate information.

The forum software does allow for subscriptions. You can pay me to access these forums but it is on my terms. I can set the permissions for any user groups such as "subscribers" who could only be allowed to read the content and not participate.

First, I would never pimp you guys out by selling your knowledge and advice.

Second, this forum was conceived for the sole intent of providing us a private, professional venue without any restrictions and corporate bias. (though I admit I feel the profanity filter should not have been turned off)

Third, many if not most of the people seeking information would likely have no clue what to do with any real information or advice, let alone the truth when it need be told. There is nothing more dangerous than an idiot armed with a little knowledge...

Enter Bill Hewitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Post By Alex Bruene
Originally Posted By: Keith Browning
There is nothing more dangerous than an idiot armed with a little knowledge...

Yes there is. An idiot with a little knowledge, a computer and a video camera.

Enter Bill Hewitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Post By dieseldoc
I too have parused his site to see what kind of bad info he is peddling now. For 100 dollars he will allow you to access his video where he will show you how to replace your own head gaskets. For that 100 dollars you get ONLY 30 days access to it. That is pretty expensive to have a guy show you how to hack your pick-up. Myabe I should put an ad out and for 50 bucks I will tell you how to fix your leaking egr cooler, the answer two bottles of barrs stop leak. ROFL!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Post By Shlep
Originally Posted By: dieseldoc
Myabe I should put an ad out and for 50 bucks I will tell you how to fix your leaking egr cooler, the answer two bottles of barrs stop leak. ROFL!!!!!!!

Don't laugh too hard because that was actually suggested to a customer by a local "indie" shop
There you have it. Posts from FIVE techs. Members, draw your own conclusions before you shell out that $100 for his membership fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I live just south of Atlanta. I have a buddy who has a 2003 F350 PSD and bought it new. He has had a fuel smell in the cab when running the truck since 50,000 miles. At about 90,000 miles he had a replacement engine put in it due to some major turbo problems. Soon after he got the fuel smell in the cab again. I found Hewitt's web site and told my buddy about it. He called Hewitt and talked to him and set up a meeting. He took the truck in at 105,000 miles and had it worked on. I have already forgotten what Hewitt did but he fixed the truck. He had problems with it for 55,000 miles and spent thousands of dollars trying to fix it and Hewitt was able to fix it. I don't know the guy from Adam but my buddy swears by him. This is the first negative I have heard.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hmmm, I was kinda wondering the same thing. No one around here wants to touch my truck. I have considered diving back in and replacing the injector, but I fear this and my worst fear that it is something more. Everything was accounted for and according to the diagnostic, the injector in the #5 cylinder is misfiring. I had considered taking it to Buford, GA to have Bill take a look, and best of all...Fix the damn thing
Old 05-18-2010, 03:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dim Sum
I would love to be able to just search and read the DTS site....

Its hard to get that kind of information when you are looking to buy a truck or fix one.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

After watching for forums for a little while it seems that everyone that uses Rudy's Diesel Performance has good things to say. I think it is in NC, SC, or VA so it shouldn't be too far of a drive from ATL if you can make it. I know they do aftermarket tuning but if they can do that they may be able to fix your truck. It is worth a call.

DPFDeleteKits.com
Old 05-18-2010, 05:59 PM

First of all, I don't seek opinions, I form my own. I have a very favorable opinion of Mr. Bill Hewitt! I have watched a dozen or more of his video's. I learned some stuff & got a good laugh at the same time. If he were down the street I'd just have to go meet him. I'm sure he's not a Ford trained technician, nevertheless, I have no hard feelings towards the guy. I think he's nice for posting so much info for free. I like the guy!!

Last edited by BGJ; 05-20-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGJ View Post
I watched a dozen of his video's. I learned some stuff & got a good laugh. If he were down the street I'd just have to go meet him. I'm sure he's not a Ford trained technician, nevertheless, I have no hard feelings towards the guy. I think he's nice for posting so much info for FREE. I like the guy!!
Really? Think again. Apparently this guy charges $100 per month for a "subscription" to his so-called "How-To" videos on some jobs.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:55 PM

From what I have seen from his free videos,

First, it is absolutly necessary to change your HPOP awl. I guess for whatever reason after the injectors spit it back out, it magically jumps to the reservoir.

Second, if he builds a "custom" tranny for you and you are running larger tires, he will charge you full price if it breaks.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Really? Think again. Apparently this guy charges $100 per month for a "subscription" to his so-called "How-To" videos on some jobs.
Ya..........REALLY, I didn't pay a dime. I watched very detailed videos on oil leaks, power steering pumps, front bearing replacement, turbo replacement, (very helpful for me, I'm new at this stuff) how to install gauges, pulley replacement, dip stick oil leaks, & even the infamous "top end oil change" video, all for free!!! True story. I think the Guy, Bill Hewitt is a stud!!

If I see someone on the internet that I feel is wack or a con artist, I never go back to the site, & don't give it another thought. I find it hilarious how guys love to hate this guy. They can't seem to leave him alone. They can't stop talking about him. That's funny I mean REALLY, if Bill Hewitt was as dumb as these guys say he is he would have been out of business years ago. His shop is always cluttered with powerstroke engines & "Customers".

Last edited by BGJ; 05-19-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:19 PM

Just curious... Why is this in the 6.4 forum? I went to the site and all I saw was 7.3 and 6.0 stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.