Wix oil filter problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 04:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Wix oil filter problem

Last time I changed the oil I went to a parts store that is not close to me I was riding by. Got a new filter and it was a WIX with a new lid. Changing the oil right now and can not get the filter off of the lid to put on a Motorcraft filter. Are their filters attached permanently to the cap. If so this really sucks. No oil in truck, I beat the **** of of the filter so it is trashed. Any suggestions. I am only one here and no ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The filters with the lids do not come apart without damaging the cap. If you take off the factory cap, you are supposed to save the cap to use in the future (I guess this doesn't help you now.). If the filter is damaged you can't put it back in, maybe you could call someone to give you a ride to the store to get a new filter.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:20 AM
Powerstroke Techie

The WIX filters come with an integral cap.

You should have saved the original cap (I know, doesn't help you much now.)

Most parts places will deliver, if you explain your situation.

Please do not use these filters as I have seen many problems arise from their use, and I don't know about where you live, but they are about the same price (~$40) as the OEM filter here in Canada.

FWIW, you might call around to some quick-lube places that use the same style filter -- they maybe have a couple caps laying around. Those caps aren't cheap, at least here in Canada. They're about $85.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
The WIX filters come with an integral cap.

You should have saved the original cap (I know, doesn't help you much now.)

Most parts places will deliver, if you explain your situation.

Please do not use these filters as I have seen many problems arise from their use, and I don't know about where you live, but they are about the same price (~$40) as the OEM filter here in Canada.

FWIW, you might call around to some quick-lube places that use the same style filter -- they maybe have a couple caps laying around. Those caps aren't cheap, at least here in Canada. They're about $85.
What kind of problems? I put in a wix in november and havent had any issues since.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I found the filter at a parts store by the house and a neighbor let me use her car. I have used the Wix snap in ones until 6,000 miles ago when I bought the all in one system. I have not had a problem with any Wix filter regardless of the the vehicle I have put them in. In western PA they seem to be big with all the auto parts stores. What problems have arose from them with the 6.4. I have bought the Walmart Motorcraft filters a few times also until last oil change. People tell me that Motorcraft by Walmart is not true Motorcraft filter. So I am up in the air about oil filters. I change oil and the filter, they all look the same to me. If there is something specific that is proven please share the info. I will then go buy a new cap from the dealer and use Motorcraft or what ever is recommended.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i'm pretty sure that they are true motorcraft filters. I dont think that ford would allow walmart to put their name on a sub-par quality part, especially when usage of ford parts is a hot button issue for warranty claims.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Well first of all, there's that warranty issue that is always there.

Next time you have the filter out of your truck, have a look down in the bottom of the housing, beside the stand-pipe there's a black plastic tab. That's the anti-drainback valve for the housing. That housing holds almost a quart of oil when that valve is properly depressed. A LOT of these filters are not to the exact length and do not depress that valve. This was a bigger issue on the 6.0, where it would cause long-crank and hard starting.

I will finish this later, I have to go do something. Back later.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Damn, I didnt know about the cap I replaced my last one with a wix and found out after about the issues with them, already through my stock cap also.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

I had my mechanic do an oil change and gave them the Motorcraft filter recommended in the manual FL 2016. They told me I needed the filter with the intergrated cap. I think I am going to go to the dealer, get a new cap and replace the WIX filter they used and install my Motorcraft filter. They told me my filter did not fit onto the cap properly.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Went to my dealer today and after 46 bucks have a new cap and filter. Guess I'll know better for next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.