Winch question??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Winch question???

Provided the buyer of my RH bumper comes through, I will be buying a winch for my truck. Looking at the new Smittybuilt 10,000lb. I know it isn't the greatest winch on earth but for the use it will be getting it wil be fine. What's y'alls experience with this winch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Why be cheap on a GREAT TRUCK....

Warn, Warn and Warn winches rule... I have been to Texas, looks a lot like the Outback of Queensland. Only my custom right hand drive 2009 F-450 King Ranch cost me more like $150,000 by the time all costs of shipping, taxes and conversion were done... Air Brakes over, Air suspension over, and the rest....

That much truck, that much Outback, I have a WARN.....

Pictures in TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES on our Forum Bushtracker Forum :: Index

Texas is tough, off in the mud caught in the rain overnight is tough,
I have winched with a warn, so hot a 5 gal jerry can with a siphon hose a small valve dribbling water on the motor, and kept on winching and resetting and winched through a bog for about 45 minutes... Kept the motor cool and kept resetting it, and I doubt any other winch would have survived that. I spent $131 to have the Dealer at ARB tear it down and reassemble it later to send it back with a "all OK' checkout.

Why be cheap..... On something that could save your bacon winching you out rattlesnake bit on the arm in time to get to help....
Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I bought a Mile Marker 12k winch about 2 years ago and it has served me well. I have always had Warn, but I decided to try out Mile Marker (a lot of rock crawlers use it) because I could get it for $650. It's made by Warn. It has been great.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to 1tonpower
if you go with a cheaper winch make sure to take the steps to make make it as weather tight as you can. use some electric grease in the winch control hole and keep the solenoids clean.

IMO you cant beat a hydraulic mile marker. i have a 10.5k on my jeep and it has come through when electrics have failed
Old 03-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

This will be a tool for doing work around the lease, private prop and the rare occasion I get the beast stuck. I'm not going to be making multiple full line pulls through a muddy bog in this truck, the jeep or quad yeah maybe, but it's more of a tool for the truck.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:40 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to 1tonpower
if thats all your going to be using it for. just about anything will work for you. stay with the around the 10k mark and find a good deal
Old 03-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Naaaaaagh,
Buy the Warn. Put the cheapie on when you go to sell the truck and KEEP the warn...

I had one that was used around a wrecking yard to pull apart cars and it kept on going after I bought it for a song... Buy the best and keep it. Then you KNOW it is not going to let you down. And the Warn 12k, 15k, and new 16.5 ti are all magic. On different trucks in our fleet I have had them all, used them all, and they NEVER let me down....

If you are going to skimp on the Warn, heck put on recaps too...

Cheers from Australia, where we really work the gear.!!!

God Bless you Yanks, last Bastion of Freedom in the World...
Don't let Obama pacify you into submission, nueter you into the nether,
Socialize you into National Bankrupcy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.