DPF-Delete/Tuner Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF-Delete/Tuner Questions

I apologize in advance, because I'm sure these questions have been asked elsewhere. I just haven't been able to find good answers on initial searching. But, after a couple of tanks run in my truck, I'm strongly considering doing a DPF/cat delete and tuning. I do have a few questions though:

1. If I do the DPF/Cat delete, do I have to do a tune too? I was thinking that just removing the DPF without tuning would be less likely to be blamed on a problem that would otherwise be covered under warranty. I think I remember somewhere that doing the delete without tuning could cause continuous regenerating, resulting in horrendous mpg's.

2. From what I've read here, Spartan seems to be the most popular and supposedly the safest (least detectable) tuner. From looking at their web site, it seems that it would cost $1600 to get their dpf/cat delete exhaust/tuner package. This is about three times what it cost me to do something similar on my last gasoline truck. Is this right, or did I have too many beers before browsing around their online catalog?

3. Are the Spartan exhaust systems totally bolt-up, allowing easy return to the stock exhaust in case I have to take it to the dealer for warranty work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 07:40 PM

1. Yes you do need a tuner to do a DPF delete. The tuner tricks the engine into not going into regen, otherwise like you said it will go into constant regen.

2. Yes that cost is correct. Spartan puts a lot of R&D into their products instead of just generic tunes that will work with multiple types of engines. For the HP gain you get that is actually pretty cheap. Im sure the vendors will chime in soon and can probably cut you some sort of deal.

3. Yes they are completely bolt up.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:54 PM

Check out Aarons site, dpfdeltekits.com He's a vendor here and can set you up with a package price usually if you want more stuff like a complete exhaust, or intake if you want to run the higher tunes. Great customer service, and super fast shipping. The spartan is $1249 no matter where you get it.

I recommend doing the dpf/doc delete at the least. It's alot easier to delete them both together since it starts at the downpipe which only has 2 bolts. Just doing the dpf involves 8 bolts and the possiblity of screwing up a gasket that you'll need if you ever have to go back to stock.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:08 AM

Wow. That's pricey for a tuner. But, I guess you make your money back after a while.

So, do the dpf/doc (doc=cat?) delete kits take if from the downpipe all the way to the tip? Or does it bolt back to the stock exhaust system somewhere downstream of where the DPF used to be?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Warheads on Foreheads

doing the dpf/doc delete with a delete pipe replaces just the dpf and doc(cat) only. they sell exhaust to replace the entire exhaust from the downpipe back to the tip including a new tip.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

doc = diesel oxidation catalyst = cat.

I'd ask about the kit you're looking at but in many cases the stock exhaust pipes will stay. There is little restriction in the stock DPF-back section so changing it is mostly done for cosmetics.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:13 AM

The stock DPF-back section is fine. I was just curious how I could replace from point A to point B (two connections) with only two bolts.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:17 PM

thats doing the dpf/doc together. It bolts to the downpipe using the 2 bolts thats already there and ties into the factroy muffler and tailpipe. If you don't like the looks of the factory duals, or just want a complete system, I recommend the AFE downpipe back exhaust. I have the 4" stainless dp back without muffler that comes with a 5" tip from AFE thats is awesome quality for a couple more bucks. Loosing the muffler though will result in your truck sounding like a hairdryer (I think it sounds like a jet personally) at idle.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin24 View Post
It bolts to the downpipe using the 2 bolts thats already there and ties into the factroy muffler and tailpipe.
That's my question... Is it a slip connection or something, where it ties into the muffler?
Old 03-20-2010, 06:30 PM

Yes, it will slip into the muffler section and uses a band clamp to hold it in place.
I think Aaron has some pics of the pipes on his website if you want to check them out. You can also build your kit with different pieces to see the cost differences.

dpfdeletekits.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.