Another Water Seperator ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another Water Seperator ?

Ok I just drained 32oz. out of that thing... mostly looks like fuel... does it ever stop draining? or do my fuel lines just keep dumping more and more in? Let me know Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 04:37 PM

You might not be aware, that if the truck has not been move recently the water settles out at the bottom by the drain... Water is denser and heavier than diesel and unless it is shaken up it will settle out immediately and is readily visible as a different color...

You need only to drain out maybe 50ml, say a quarter of a cup into a clear container to see if there is clean fuel. Any water will accumulate at the bottom. If a quarter cup comes out, and you see no water or a spoonful of water at the bottom, you have no problem. Job done...

Courtesy of the lone Ranger in Australia... 20 years of water separation technology on yachts now gone half a horseman
Old 03-15-2010, 05:14 PM

awesome so I have 32 onces of weedkiller now I guess...
Old 03-15-2010, 05:33 PM

It could continue to drain as long as the valve is open.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:52 PM

right... drain gas... not water... I figured it would shut itself off once the water was out... or whatever... so now I know next time...
Old 03-15-2010, 06:07 PM

No biggie. It's good on ant beds as well.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:08 PM

Monster,
One more little thing to help you... There are solid reports of only a dribble coming out when the tank is at 1/4 or less. You need to do this with a moderately full tank, then it will drain as much as you want. Again, you only need a few ounces if the truck has been sitting a while to determine if it is running clean with no water. I cut a plastic drink bottle in half and wipe it out.

Do it once a month. Don't drive with the warning light on as you can do serious damage. Do it once a month regular and unless you get a bad dose of fuel you are unlikely to have problems. Wait for the light to come on to do it and you are playing with napalm, and also it will happen on a dead cold rainy day when you are in a hurry...and can't pull over safely... That has the potential to kill the HPFP ...
Old 06-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was having trouble getting mine to drain. It would drip and that was all. I turned the key on and it started running.......... but not just flowing out. I did not have any water. Do you'll think this will be an acceptable way to check it or should I take the cover off and see what is keeping it from draining? When I say should I take the cover off what I mean is have it taken off. I hate the local dealer and have not found a good diesel mechanic yet is the only reason I have not had it done already. Any advice?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:50 PM

Fill your tank.....

It does not seem to drain well on some vehicles, when the tank is down to a 1/4 full

lone Ranger in Australia....
Old 06-29-2010, 12:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks LR and I think maybe I have tried it with more than a half since I never let my vechicles get below 1\4. Like I said it drains fair with the key on because the fuel pump is running but turn it off and it goes back to a drip. I will make sure to try it full. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.