Need some input please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 10:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some input please

Hi I am now looking at a 08 6.4 king ranch(looks like it has a leveling kit w/after market wheels/tires and ranch hand front end) with about 18k on it since my deal on a 7.3 w/low miles fell through the cracks. After much, much reading here it seems like those who don't beat on their trucks are happy with them. The truck would be used to go on family trips, as a semi regular daily ride, to tow my 17' smoker craft/4 place snowmobile trailer, and maybe a camper(that would be a few years down the line). What I am pondering is doing a dpf delete kit and either putting a spartan tuner or SCT tuner into it ONLY for the purpose of getting better mpg than the not so nice mpg in stock form. Also thought a cold air intake would help. Any input if this is worth it would be great as to which would be a better option. I know that the bigger tires will not help-looks like 33s or 35s AT on it. Other posts I have read claim any where from 18-22mpg compared to the 10-12mpg stock-is that realistic? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

18-22 sounds great, difficult to achieve though. I've got a 6.0 that's getting 14 highway,with a sct tune by elite diesel. My uncles got a 7.3 and he's getting 19. Don't really know much about the 6.4,but the ford house told me they get worse than my 6.0
Old 03-15-2010, 06:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would say spartan or h&s,spartan have been out the longest for these trucks an offer the best package deals for these trucks,check out their website. First i would see what job # your truck is, open the drivers side door an look on the bottom right side of the jam,you want a job 3 build date from 1-08 to 4-08 seemed to have the least of problems with no recalls other than the degres bottle hose change.I have a job 3 build date of 1-08 an have had no problems,an tow a 28' enclose toy hauler,an drive it like i stole it,it's a great truck an you'll love it,the reason i have not put a spartan on it yet because i have the ford esp 7 year 200,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on it an don't want to take a chance on losing it, because if i had all that power i'd be using it to the extreme, hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:26 AM

Man if you like it, buy it. You won't look back. I don't "beat" on mine all the time, but I do like to "horse around" with it, red light to red light. No issues. Lots of power, and so far very reliable. MPG will pick up with a DPF delete. But its not going to double. I would say average increase is probably 4mpg. Or that's how it was for me. Mine averaged 12ish before, now averages 16ish. Yes, I have seen 18 to 20 on trips to Houston and back. But that's 95% highway.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the info so far. Living in the north woods my drive to work is about 28miles-same for doing most running around. Other wise trips/errands are 90-300miles. So mostly highway driving/county road driving.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:16 PM

I'm averaging 15.6 mpg mixed driving on the 250 tune without trying to baby it. Thats with the spartan and afe dp/back exhaust and AFE stage II intake. I'd do it again in a minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.