Problems keeping it on the road!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 05:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problems keeping it on the road!!

Hello all,

Let me start off by saying that I am not new to the F250 truck. I have been in F250's for the last 10yrs.

I recently traded off my 2006 F250 PSD CC King Ranch 4x4 that had a 6" lift and 20" rims wrapped in 35" MT's for a 2008 F250 PSD CC King Ranch 4x4 that was completly stock except for a Frontier full replacement front bumper. The truck has 30K miles on it. I got it about 3 weeks ago from a dealership about an hour away from me. I noticed on the drive home that it liked to "road walk" alot more than any "stock" truck that I had ever drove. I thought this was abnormal, but I also thought that it was just a new truck to me and I wasnt used to driving it yet. During that first week of driving I noticed that when on the highway driving at 50-70mph when I would go into a mild corner that the truck had no "return-to-center" on the steering. Most vehicles when your into a curve/corner and you let go of the wheel it automatically straightens out back to center.....this truck did not. I could let go of the wheel while in a corner/curve and it would hold its track steady and stay on course until I took control of it again and straightened it up. I thought this was very odd as well.

At the end of the second week of having the truck I had a 6" Pro Comp kit installed with MX6's and new replacement HD leafs in the back as well as a dual steering stabilizer kit up front. I put on some 20" XD Armours and some 37" Toyo Open Country MT's. As you would guess the "road walking" problem was magnified and is much worse than it was when stock. Now I can expect a trucks steering to change some after doing suspension mods and wheel/tire upgrades, but Ive also drove lifted trucks most all my life and NONE have ever been this bad with road walk and over-steer. It is a constant battle to keep this truck on the road now when on the hwy at 50-80mph. The wheel has to constantly be moved back and forth to keep it between the lines. It will not hold a steady course on even the flattest/smoothest roads.

Since I drove this truck when it was totally "stock" and it had the "road walk" issue then I am prett sure that something is worng. If it had drove correctly when stock and then had issues after the lift I would be less concerned and just blame it on the lift/mods, but my 2006 was lifted/modded and drove very good, much better than this one drove when it was stock. I doubt this has anything to do with it, but could the added weight of the front replacement bumper have anything to do with this?? I doubt that it is, but Im at a loss as to what could make a nearly new 2008 truck with less than 30K miles drive like a Ford 9N tractor pulling a 6ft disc!!!

Any suggestions? Any advice? Any and all help is appreciated.

**Please dont reply saying "thats just the way these trucks drive after you lift them" because that is a false statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 06:02 AM

Also,

Let me clarify that the truck is not really "pulling" left or right as would be the case with an alingment issue, its just walking all over the place left to right then right to left.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have had an 08, 09, and now 10 and the 08 and 10 were/are lifted with 37's. They have been the best driving trucks that I have had. It seems to me that you definately have a problem. My 08 didn't even have the dual stabilizer and the steering was still tight. I had no problems keeping it on the road. I really don't know what your problem could be, but it sounds like something is wrong. I had a friend with an 07 with a 6" lift and 36's and his truck drove terrible compared to mine. I hope you get it figured out and if/when you do you will love it!
Old 03-14-2010, 06:16 AM

does it have a stabalizer? is it bent or not working? That is wher i would start.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:18 AM

Yeah Robert Im sure something is wrong, I just dont know what it could be or what I could check/replace. When it walked and it was stock I knew right then that something wasnt right. Thats a good looking truck you have. I'd like to post some pics of mine, but Im at work right now and Photobucket is blocked. Mine is black and tan.

Im hoping someone with some tech knowledge or experiance can chime in and tell me what to do.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyd View Post
does it have a stabalizer? is it bent or not working? That is wher i would start.
First off the truck had the steering issues when it was stock. Yes now it does have a stabilizer.....its brand new, installed two weeks ago so and it drove poorly on the way home from the install so no its not from being bent or not working.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:29 AM

somehow i missed the part where it said you have new stabalizers.
I would have someone sit in the truck and steer jeck back and forth while you check every part of the steering and suspention for any movment.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyd View Post
somehow i missed the part where it said you have new stabalizers.
I would have someone sit in the truck and steer jeck back and forth while you check every part of the steering and suspention for any movment.

I agree.

By walking, I assume you mean the truck is wandering. Not necessarily following grooves or ruts in the road, but wandering around with a soft, not really in control feeling with the steering input, right?
As a non-tech (but gearhead over the years) my thought is you have a major mechanical issue.

My first thought is the steering box and that's one of the 1st places I'd check if all the obvious links are tight.

Rotate the steering wheel side to side at a full stop, and note the play in the wheel prior to it's activating (tightening up as though it's starting to turn the tires)I don't recall the amount, but IIRC, over a 1/4 - 1/2" play in the wheel indicates a problem.

Check out the link and info below and see if it helps?

But whatever you do, please get that truck looked at quickly and completely by a competent tech before it fails and sends you and/or your loved ones somewhere you were not planning to go...like into the oncoming lane

Gordon

Last edited by SAR Pirate; 03-14-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Emergency Services

Trevor,

My first thought when reading your post, was "steering box." Had the same problem on another 4x4 (not a Ford). Same symptoms, made the change, and took care of the problem.

Did a little research and found this on a quick google from "Deisel Stop":

Quote:
I don't believe that for a second. At around 36K miles, I replaced (on my penny - not warranty) the steering gear box. Total cost just under $1800 because for the 08+ there are no rebuilt boxes available (yet). The cost for the box alone was around $1200.

But, my issues were similar. In essence I ended up with about 10+ degrees of "no action play" at the steering wheel. Not much fun driving down a road with truck grooves in it.

After replacing the box and re-aligning my front-end, the steering is just fine. There were no other problems with it. Meanwhile, I added a dual steering damper from Kelderman. Highly recommendable. It will hopefully preserve and extend the live of the steering gear box aside from adding a lot of confidence in your vehicle behavior when driving down a bad road or crossing rail-road tracks and the like.
Here's the link:

Front End Suspension Play PLEASE HELP! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

I'd definately get that box looked as asap!!

Hope this helps and best of luck with it.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:31 AM
Premium Member

Steering box is toast. Change it before it locks-up on you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.