Regen? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Regen?

Ok...Help a newb out. What does regen mean? I've seen it talked about and not sure what it is. Is this when the Cleaning Exhaust Filter light comes on? If so is this a bad thing? Don't laugh! I'm just trying to figure out what all of this means. All of my 7.3L did not have all of this fancy stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes, regen is cleaning the exhaust filter. It's new emissions stuff on the 6.4.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:48 PM

Your truck is equiped with a dpf (diesel particulate filter) which traps the soot you'd normally see out of a diesels exhaust. When it determines its time it triggers the regen process which injects raw diesel fuel through your engines exhaust stroke which it basically super heats and uses as fuel to burn away the soot. Thus leaving our environment cleaner as per the EPA. I guess using alot more unreplacable fossil fuels is ok though.

Now the argument as to wether the excess fuel in your oil that is unburned is hurting your engine or not would have to be answered by you. Some people report large amounts of fuel in their oil while others report none. (I personally believe this varies due to driving habits as the regen process stops when below 30mph if i'm not mistaken. ie. finish the regen process= no fuel in oil, while shutting the truck down frequently without finishing= fuel in oil.) Regen also is the main culprit for poor fuel mileage associated with the 6.4 engine. Its these 2 main reasons that most of us delete the dpf and tune our trucks. The extra power is a bonus for most of us, however the higer hp tunes sure do make these beasts fun to drive. (Nothing like smoking a teenage hotshot in his suped up ricer LOL)

rgwelcome:
Old 03-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cool. Thanks for the info. Would you suggest doing the dpf delete even if that is the only thing I would do? I had a AFE cold air, but took it off due to the check engine light coming on. Don't want to screw with my 200k warranty.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:25 PM

To delete the dpf you must tune the truck. I tuned mine at 10k miles and have no regrets. Most people here will recommend the Spartan as do I. Its proven time and time again to be undetectable by ford when returned to stock programming and the dpf put back on. The AFE will throw codes while stock, I went through this too since it was the first thing I purchased. I now run the Spartan tuner, AFE intake, and AFE downpipe back exhaust. I'm averaging around 15.6 mixed driving hwy and city hand calculated. (don't believe the lie-o-meter)

I used this reasoning...how long you wanna keep the truck? I want mine to last a long time. So I got rid of the regen, and when the factory 100k warranty is up I'm gonna get the egr delete with wastegate, and blow off valve for the turbo with the money the extended warranty would've cost me. Maybe do studs too while the cabs off even though I'm not that hard on my truck. If I kept it stock, I'd have probably traded it in already to be honest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.