water seperator - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
water seperator

I can't find the fuel/water seperator drain which according to the owner manual is on the frame below the driver side----f250 super duty 4x4 crew cab. Am I looking in the right place or do I just don't know what I'm looking for. This is my first diesel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Serving Our Country!

On the 6.4L trucks, it's on the side of the HCFM? (fuel filter/pump), which is mounted on the inside of the frame rail under where the driver sits (maybe under the driver's floor board.) It's a yellow lever that sits flush with the module, on it's inboard side. Pull outward on the rear end of the lever. It should stick straight out when draining. Push it back in to shut it off. I drain into a clear container so I'll know when to shut it off. You'll be surprised at the crud that comes out!!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
On the 6.4L trucks, it's on the side of the HCFM? (fuel filter/pump), which is mounted on the inside of the frame rail under where the driver sits (maybe under the driver's floor board.) It's a yellow lever that sits flush with the module, on it's inboard side. Pull outward on the rear end of the lever. It should stick straight out when draining. Push it back in to shut it off. I drain into a clear container so I'll know when to shut it off. You'll be surprised at the crud that comes out!!
What if nothing comes out? I open mine all the time and nothing comes out...not even fuel.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredWaites View Post
What if nothing comes out? I open mine all the time and nothing comes out...not even fuel.
Sounds to me like that would mean that it's plugged. If you can't unclog it with a toothpick, I'd recommend removing the filter and trying again, with the toothpick, to unclog it. You drain it every month don't you? That's what the owners' manual recommends.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've drained mine a few times (about 12,000 miles on truck), shut it off after a quart of nothing but green fuel came out each time.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Serving Our Country!

If I don't see any crud after the first few ounces, I close the drain, unless I'm changing the filters. That's why I use a clear container to catch the fuel.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, Lucky Dog, thanks --I probably just hadn't got under the truck far enough to find it. I will take another shot at it after work.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've tried to clean out my plug with a toothpick...no dirt comes out. I was opening it every month but nothing comes out...I figured it was fine...guess I'll mention that to Ford when its getting work done.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:09 PM

If you live in a cold climate like myself, it can have the tendancy to gel up right there at the drain plug since it is the lowest point. You a can use canned air computer duster, or shop air, and hit it with a little shot of air. Sometimes this will be enough to clear out what is blocking the drain. Be careful, because if it does come unplugged, you can't shut the shop air off quick enough to keep from getting diesel on yourself/eyes/face, etc., so use the proper protective gear.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:07 PM

A pictures worth a thousand words.

Standing on the driver side, look under the vehicle for the front link where it attaches to the frame,

Now crawl under the vehicle and look behind that and up on the inside of the frame (toward drive lines) for this,

The Yellow Tube pointing at your eye is the drain, the Yellow Handle (to the left) is the lever that swings out and to the right (clockwise in that view).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.