To Buy a Used 6.4 or Not to buy. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question To Buy a Used 6.4 or Not to buy.

Hello to everyone, I'm sorta in debate over what to buy for a good, usable truck. I have been looking for a good couple of months without any luck. I've really been looking at 7.3's and steering away from 6.0's.

But just yesterday i found an 08 6.4 lariet 4WD for 24K with 17K miles on it, The truck also has a lift kit on it, a "total exhaust delete (off road kit)" and edge with attitude programer. But then the bad news, The owner added that it was not running do to the #3 injector was bad and the truck was pulling a low fuel pressure code do to the bad injector.

Now i'm am no expert of the 6.4, So i ask you all whether or not this is a good buy or is worth buying and reparing, for long term use. Thanks Ckeater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure what others think, but I have had several 7.3L and they are just great trucks. My dad owns a hot shot company. We have 2 7.3L with over 400,000miles and run great. (5) 6.0's a couple that have had many problems and 3 that have 150k + on milage with zero trouble. My truck is the only 6.4L and I like it just nervous about these new trucks and longevity 7.3L is bullet proof. The new trucks sure do ride nice. I think I would steer clear of the truck you are talking about. Just my .02
Old 03-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Go for what makes you happy
Old 03-10-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckeater View Post
Hello to everyone, I'm sorta in debate over what to buy for a good, usable truck. I have been looking for a good couple of months without any luck. I've really been looking at 7.3's and steering away from 6.0's.

But just yesterday i found an 08 6.4 lariet 4WD for 24K with 17K miles on it, The truck also has a lift kit on it, a "total exhaust delete (off road kit)" and edge with attitude programer. But then the bad news, The owner added that it was not running do to the #3 injector was bad and the truck was pulling a low fuel pressure code do to the bad injector.

Now i'm am no expert of the 6.4, So i ask you all whether or not this is a good buy or is worth buying and reparing, for long term use. Thanks Ckeater.
I would be worried that it has more wrong with it for just 24k.(salvage title)That just sounds to good to be true IMO.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:55 PM

UHHHH....only 17k miles? It should be well under warranty. Tell the original owner to put it back to stock and take it to the dealership to have it repaired. If you take it in tuned with the delete pipe installed you're gonna void the warranty.....oops just remembered I read Edge tuner. He probably took it in and they found out he had a tuner and voided his warranty which is why hes probably selling. It's worth a try though, to return it back to completely stock tuning and put the dpf back on before taking to a dealer.

good luck.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:56 PM

just so you know in case you don't...you have to pull the cab on the 6.4 to do any major work which by itself can get costly in labor alone.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 PM

I was looking at used 08's between $35k and $38k mileage between 9k to 20k.

I had a dealer call me 2 weeks ago and tell me he thought he could get me close on a new 2010 model on price. He couldn't but another dealer got me down to a hair over 40k on a new 2010 Lariat.

I bought the New Lariat. Look around, with the new 2011(s) coming out, you can find good deal on the 2010 models that are out there.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j21black View Post
I was looking at used 08's between $35k and $38k mileage between 9k to 20k.

I had a dealer call me 2 weeks ago and tell me he thought he could get me close on a new 2010 model on price. He couldn't but another dealer got me down to a hair over 40k on a new 2010 Lariat.

I bought the New Lariat. Look around, with the new 2011(s) coming out, you can find good deal on the 2010 models that are out there.
What was the MSRP on the 2010?

Ryan
Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 PM

Just under 53k
Old 03-25-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j21black View Post
Just under 53k
A diesel Lariat with an MSRP of just under 53K? Wow, every Lariat around here has an MSRP north of 57K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.