Still torn on purchasing a Diesel F-250/350, could use your assistance! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Still torn on purchasing a Diesel F-250/350, could use your assistance!

Gents,

Been to a couple dealerships lately and finally found a truck that I like enough to purchase. It's a 2010 Harley Davidson F-350, CC, SB, pretty much fully loaded for $50,863.00 down from $65,000.00 BUT..........

I'm torn as to whether or not I want to spend this much cash and actually have a need for this much truck. I could use some assistance in fielding these questions so if you have something constructive to add, I'm all ears.

Concerns listed below:

- I'm only likely to tow maybe 5-10 times a year my 1979 CJ Jeep (about 4500 lbs)....do I really need a diesel for such limited usage?

- If I buy a truck, diesel or gasoline, I'll need a trailer.....which means fronting extra cash for a trailer.

- I have three vehicles already (the Mercedes would be sold if a Ford truck was purchased) which means the truck would be the DD on the weekends. My wife works from home and throughout the week I'd drive my Jeep or my motorcycle to work so the truck wouldn't be seeing very many miles.

- Does it hurt a Diesel truck if it's only driven a couple times a week?

- Is there a non-diesel truck that can do the job I need or it 5-10 times a year for a lesser price?

- With the 2011's coming out and sounding like they are going to be all that and a bag of chips would it be worth it to wait for one of those?

Thanks for everyone's time...........appreciate it.

Last edited by Military Jeeper; 03-07-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Branchburg, NJ
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First of all

Second: yes you may be buying too much truck, but....you will never be in a situation where you don't have enough truck!!!

I was looking for an F250 CC/SB. I went to look at the truck I bought just to take it for a test drive since I had never driven one of the 6.4's. I put a deposit on it an hour later. I knew it was more truck then I needed. But i went with my previously described logic.

Now three months later I was able to start my own business because I already had the perfect truck to do the work. Yes, there are gas trucks out there that can tow your jeep. But no gas truck will ever be able to do it reliably for any length of time. Gas motors are just too inefficient and power lacking to be any good at it. There's a reason why diesels are used for any kind of heavy duty work. Because they can handle it.

The only question you need to ask is not do you need a diesel. It's do you need a $65,000.00 top of the line luxury diesel truck? Probly not, but it sure would be nice to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stFORD View Post
First of all

Second: yes you may be buying too much truck, but....you will never be in a situation where you don't have enough truck!!!

I was looking for an F250 CC/SB. I went to look at the truck I bought just to take it for a test drive since I had never driven one of the 6.4's. I put a deposit on it an hour later. I knew it was more truck then I needed. But i went with my previously described logic.

Now three months later I was able to start my own business because I already had the perfect truck to do the work. Yes, there are gas trucks out there that can tow your jeep. But no gas truck will ever be able to do it reliably for any length of time. Gas motors are just too inefficient and power lacking to be any good at it. There's a reason why diesels are used for any kind of heavy duty work. Because they can handle it.

The only question you need to ask is not do you need a diesel. It's do you need a $65,000.00 top of the line luxury diesel truck? Probly not, but it sure would be nice to have.
I agree with you on it being nice to have more truck then I actually need (ie diesel vice gasoline). Should I retire in 4 yrs at my 20yr mark, the plan is to get a camper and travel around the US enjoying the outdoors a few times throughout the year. I also plan over years to take my Jeep to numerous off road trips as well and want to trailer it. The extra room with having the CC and a bed would be great for road trips/camping adventures as well.

As mentioned before too is the concern of not driving it as often as others would........as it wouldn't be a daily driver in the Washington DC area. I only work 5 miles from work (and parking is a nightmare) so I'd use my Jeep or motorcycle daily to transit to and from work. Are there any ill effects of not driving a Diesel daily, not towing often, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Branchburg, NJ
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not that I know of. Make sure you keep the fuel treated with a Cetane booster at a minimum, which is just good practice anyway. But if you plan on using a tow vehicle for your retirement, then there is no substitute for diesel. Trust me on that one.

There is the age old adage: of you don't use it, you lose it.

But just take the truck out every now and then for some romper time so it can get up to operating temperature. Keep up with the service intervals, not just mileage, but the timed ones. If you don't put on the miles, I think you should change the oil at least every six months. I'm sure there is literature on that as far as storage and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-07-2010, 01:08 PM
shaking things up

 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: wexford-Pa
Posts: 3,651
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i say go for it it wont hurt the truck to only drive it a few times a week and if you intend to tow your jeep and a camper in a few years not only will you already have a truck to do so it will be somewhat broken in before you start tugging heavy loads with it which will be much better on it than buying a new one when you buy a camper and immediately putting heavy loads to it i know that people do this and it has no real effect on the truck but i feel it is better to have it broken in before you but a lot of weight to it just my .02 i say buy the truck and never look back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
These trucks are not made for 5 mile commutes. Diesels are made to pull and haul. In a 5 mile commute you won't even get the oil up to temperature and you can forget about cleaning the DPF. You are looking at a top of the line beautiful truck but much more truck than you require. Look at some F150 Crew Cabs. Much better mileage and will do everything you need and save $20K up front and every mile you drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stFORD View Post
Make sure you keep the fuel treated with a Cetane booster at a minimum, which is just good practice anyway.
I've seen a couple posts on this, but why do you have to add anything to the fuel and how often do you have to add it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x6 bulldog View Post
These trucks are not made for 5 mile commutes. Diesels are made to pull and haul. In a 5 mile commute you won't even get the oil up to temperature and you can forget about cleaning the DPF. You are looking at a top of the line beautiful truck but much more truck than you require. Look at some F150 Crew Cabs. Much better mileage and will do everything you need and save $20K up front and every mile you drive.
I realize that hence why it won't be driven to and from work......that's why I have my Jeep and my motorcycle. From what I've read however and F-150 doesn't have the towing capacity to tow my Jeep and trailer together though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was in your exact shoes on the same truck. Bought my 2010 F350 Harley in Dec. Previously I was driving a 2005 Dodge SRT10 QC with very low miles (15K). I tow our boat relatively short distances every weekend May - Sep, but wanted something that would have a reliable longer range for towing, had 4wd and had the comfort to go with the power. The 10 was 2wd which is useles in New England in the winter plus I never would drive it unless roads were clear and dry. Now I don't have to obsess about my ride. Is the F350 overkill, probably. Will I need another truck for any job that comes up, nope.

The wife is happier eventhough she calls it the Beast. Previous she didn't like riding in the 10, but she enjoys the F350. It's not as loud as the 10, it has a more comfortbable ride and the Nav, SYNC and heated seats keep her happy, plus junior has extra leg room with a full backseat. We took it to FL and back and it ran perfect. Now it's nowhere near as fast as the 10 which I can live with since I had my fun. Gets better gas mileage (anything is better the 9mpg). The Harley is a sharp looking truck. In the end you've got to live with it and your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSmokie View Post
The wife is happier eventhough she calls it the Beast. Previous she didn't like riding in the 10, but she enjoys the F350. It's not as loud as the 10, it has a more comfortbable ride and the Nav, SYNC and heated seats keep her happy, plus junior has extra leg room with a full backseat. We took it to FL and back and it ran perfect. Now it's nowhere near as fast as the 10 which I can live with since I had my fun. Gets better gas mileage (anything is better the 9mpg). The Harley is a sharp looking truck. In the end you've got to live with it and your decision.
Ya I took the wife to the stealership today to drive one. She was surprised how well it drove/turned, etc. Told the guy we'd be back to buy it.......which we may or may not be. She's not a fan of selling the Mercedes car in favor of a Diesel truck but she does surprise me sometimes when she tells them we'll be back to buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors