Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Anyone regret buying a 6.4 instead of the 6.7?

23K views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  cdana44 
#1 ·
First off I apologize if I put this in the wrong section. Didn't know if I should put it in the 6.7 or 6.4 forum.

I'm looking to get a new diesel after selling my 7.3. Don't really have the dollars right now to get into a used 6.7. However there are several 6.4's around my area that I feel are priced well. My dad has a 2017 and a lifted 2011 so I have a pretty good feel for the 6.7's but have never gotten the chance to drive a 6.4. There is one near me bone stock with 17,000 on a new engine with a manual tranny which is a plus for me but I don't know if I will regret not saving up the $ for a 6.7.

It would be great to hear all the opinions that you guys have of how the 6.4 measures up to the 6.7 and if anyone has both how do they compare?

#2 ·
and a 6.7 outside of warranty can have a repair bill that is worth more than the truck

not that the 6.4 your looking at didn't have the same surprise for the owners at least it was a lot less $ to fix

the only reason to get a newer truck is for creature comfort I would like a 6.7 as well but every time i read about a warranty denial or an outside of warranty fuel issue I thank myself for not buying one

that's my glass is half empty input

#3 ·
Yeah I know why you mean. From what I've read 6.4's can be made pretty reliable with some work and a mild tune. Both 6.7's I mentioned have had basically no problems. The only thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger on this 6.4 is the thought of an enormous repair bill haha.

#5 ·
Keep up on your oil change routine, delete the 6.4 if possible and it will be a great truck. My engine is stock except for a modified air box w/ a K&N filter, upgraded cold side pipe kit, high flow elbow, and Mishimoto radiator plus it's been fully deleted.

I don't regret buying my 6.4 at all.

#9 ·
Whatever, SMH.

#8 ·
H&S 260 hp tune

#10 ·
Love my 6.4 and its on its 3rd motor :look:

Yep 3rd......one was previous owner that left the emissions on the truck and it washed 7 and 8 down (common on the 6.4's due to regen) and the motor was replaced under warranty through Ford and the owner dumped it after. The second motor was my fault and self inflicted. Sled pulling in my full race 350hp tune and NOT watching the temps (2k+ during the run) and melted cyl3 down when the injector hung open at the wrong time. To me self inflicted injury's from tuning and HP in general DO NOT COUNT against the make or model or design. Now on the 6.4 the emissions does count. With a new motor with only 17k you should be good to go as long as its deleted. Like I tell all my customers, if you cant delete it walk away. Also I would get paperwork on the rebuilt motor. Would be interesting to see what pistons were used during the rebuild.

I agree with Zmann (have to go wash my mouth out with soap now) about the K&N. Do the research on K&N and how it flows better and you'll chuck that in the garbage can. An AFE Momentum HD kit or even and S&B are far better options all be it more expensive, but you get what you pay for, and your paying for way better flow with close to factory filtration. Turbos do NOT like dust!!!

#12 ·
The big question is how much money are you gonna be saving? If we're talking $3-5k then I'd probably just get the 6.7 but if its big money saved......I'd be all over the 6.4. Buy it, delete it, take care of it and be happy.

#16 · (Edited)
Like it was said above, you're gonna spend $3-4k to delete and fix everything that normally caused failures/issues on the 6.4 vs next to nothing on a 6.7. So if the difference in cost is gonna be spent on deleting/bulletproofing the 6.4 then you might be happier with the 6.7 just in creature comforts and nicer/newer design. That being said, the 6.4 is capable of MASSIVE power if you ever wanna go that route. As far as what it needs, mostly the basic deletes i.e. EGR, DPF/DOC, and stay on top of maintenance! Always use quality filters/fluids and don't put crap fuel in her if you can help it.

#20 ·
I feel like the comment about needing 3-4k$ for bulletproofing is really more geared towards the 6.0. You can absolutely get the deleting done for way less than 3-4k$. Of course the more you can do yourself the cheaper it is. You can get full delete plus tuner, swap your coolant, coolant filter, all for about 2k or so if you do work yourself. It kinda depends on how far you want to go.

#21 ·
Well I took it home this morning. Stopped by my local shop first thing. Quote was $2000 for 5" pipe, sct livewire with custom tunes, and an s&b intake.

He said he thought EGR delete and head studs were t really needed for my situation. What are your guys thoughts on that?

#24 · (Edited)
Whether a 6.0, 6.4, 6.7, it's a diesel. The emissions systems are going to be problematic. ESPECIALLY on a 6.7, as they utilize scr as well. I'd say a solid 75% of all 6.7's I see come through the door with an issue, are emissions related problems. Not even embellishing at all there.

#26 ·
I will only ever own another 6.4L. I do not ever want to deal with DEF. My truck can create an amazing amount of power and all deletes were pretty simplistic. I run the best fluids and only Motorcraft Fuel and Oil filters. I keep an up to date oil analysis with every oil change since I am running full synthetic. My truck is my daily driver, and it has to be reliable. I consider the interior a major upgrade from my 6.0 and 7.3. I was hesitant at first to jump from the 6.0 to the 6.4 but I am incredibly happy with my truck. I am now just 500 miles shy of 200K and my biggest bill thus far was for new calipers...no fault of the engine itself.

Reactions: SparkyF250
#28 ·
I wouldn't say I REGRET it. I had the opportunity to get a 6.7 instead but went for the 6.4 because it was 4x4 CCLB, only 82k miles and budget friendly. I just wish I had done more research. I kinda bought on a whim. It could've been disastrous. Now with a complete EGR delete, turbo-back straight pipe (no DPF), and brand new HPFP I feel pretty confident it'll last me a long while (knock on wood). I'd say just to be sure to check it out thoroughly and do research with whichever you decide.
All in all I love my 6.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#34 ·
All the techs trying to join the cool kids crowd. Stay out of @CrazyS0b and my corner!!! This windex and archoil are ours!!!

Lamp? What lamp? I've moved on to tactical rail mount led. I love rail mount led!!

If I told you what I paid for it, you'd wanna kick me in the beanbag :surprise:

Reactions: djmaguire
#32 ·
The secret to being a happy 6.4 owner is to be a gifted diesel technician with a fully equipped shop and a lift.

...and that about sums it up.

:)

#37 ·
The secret to being a happy 6.4 owner is to be a gifted diesel technician with a fully equipped shop and a lift. And a higher limit on your Visa.

...and that about sums it up.

:)
Fixed it for ya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.