Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Buying 6.4 with 150,000 miles

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Prospect 
#1 ·
Hi all, in the next week or so I'm planning on purchasing a 6.4 f-350 (08) that is completely stock. the truck has 157,000 miles on it and is a great deal. i understand the potential risks but I'm curious if anyone else has some input like what should be done after purchase. I am already planning on doing ALL fluids and changing some suspension bushings to refresh it a bit. also it will get a EGR delete and DPF delete. Wont be running to hot of a tune just around 100 or so. Any input on turbo's (rebuild) or??? i am unsure of the maintenance history as the dealer has no clue. and also i will obviously take it for a LONG test drive and watch the deltas lol

#2 ·
Look at the body mounts, when i bought mine they were shot.
Try to test everything on it, 4x4 if you have the sync features test the connections cause mine were shot and i forgot to check it before hand. If you dont mind me asking, how good of a deal??

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
he wants $18000 its a 08 F-350 CCSB lariat. all stock with every option except for nav and rear dvd. exterior is a 9/10 and interior is 9.5/10 only issue is the front air dam is missing

#4 ·
Have Ford pull the oasis and see what all has been done through the dealers. Keep in mind, at 150k miles she probably needs rocker arms, quick $2000 bill. If the previous owner ran any kind of extended oil change interval don't be surprised if lifters and rings have issues in the near future, cost of a motor and labor can easily run $12000+. I would get an injector balance test done and check fuel filters for any sign of metal and to make sure they are motorcraft, if the hpfp shows signs of having debris through it.......$6000+ bill. How much blow by does it have? How often was the coolant changed and does it have all the updates, oil cooler is another cab up job...? If the turbos haven't been replaced you will be doing that shortly, and replacing them is your best option.

Personally unless it just had a fresh long block thrown in or you know for a fact it was on a 3k mile oci with fuel filters every other oil change 18 grand would be more than I would want to spend. If the truck checks out after being gone over by a reputable 3rd party shop that knows 6.4s well then go for it.

Reactions: F3502010
#7 ·
Is that all the turbos last is 150k? I have 140k on mine. Just swapped a 71 atmo in. Zero shaft play on either turbos. Been running a batmowheel in atmo for 20k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#8 ·
You also change/clean your air filter and know what an oil change is :look:

#9 ·
Update: so that truck was a no go. it appeared to have been run hard. no previous service records. and it had a hint of blue smoke out the exhaust at any given time. its a shame that out here in Washington State, that is one of the cheapest 6.4's out there. just watched someone buy an 09 with 221k on it for 22. oh well lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.