Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Auto lock not working

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Lipka101 
#1 ·
08 f250 6.4. When I engage the 4x4 in auto I hear the normal clicking that it makes when engaging. But I can still turn the drive shaft by hand n also the knuckle. Me n a buddy looked at it. When we spayed the hubs with wd40 n turn the hub lock from lock to auto we can see the wd40 being pushed out from the edges of the hub n also from the Ford logo on the knob. His thought r to try m change out the hubs. Before attempting the vacuum pump n lines.

Any suggestions

#4 ·
the Ford logo is a filter and is a vent

the hubs are not meant to hold vacuum for an indefinite amount of time

so by the time you sprayed WD 40 the vacuum lock signal was over unless you did it withing a few seconds of switching the knob

when engaged you shouldn't be able to turn either axle of drive shaft so it looks like you have a few issues ?

#9 ·
One thing you may want to verify...according to the owners manual, in order for the 4x4 hi to engage properly you must be moving forward at least 1mph. You may want to double check your manual before you go off on a chase. 4x4 lo you must be in N with brake pedal depressed. At least that's how mine works per the manual and actual operation.

#11 ·
Ok I know my post is old. But me n my buddy looked at my 4x4. We looked at a diaphragm thing ( name I can't recall). He said he couldn't hear or feel it working. But when he pulled a line out of the diaphragm thing the knuckles in the axles locked. Could this be my issue??

Pic 1 is the part I am talking about with the diaphragm

Pic 2 is the line that was pulled out n the knuckles locked. You can see the line in pic 1 below the wire connection

Attachments

#12 ·
Yes that solenoid could be your problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.