Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Dual Climate Blend door motor replacement

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Geech 
#1 ·
Hey Guys!

Used to be a frequent poster in the 7.3 section....got out of the 3/4 ton game for a while but I'm back here with a beautiful '09 Lariat crew cab with just 82k miles! One owner (old man), maroon with tan trim, interior looks new.

I have the rather common blend door motor actuator issue. It its on my drivers side (I have the dual climate) and I have located the part and it is on its way. I also can see the existing motor in its location under the dash. My question is, do i need to make sure the the motor is "aligned" to a certain position to make sure that it will actuate in whatever direction it is supposed to. I would hate for the motor to be "neutral" while the actual blend door is on "heat" or "cool"....

Thanks for the help guys!

#4 · (Edited)
Awesome thanks for the instructions! I saw that somewhere but wasn't totally sure what it was.

And yes this is the lower one near the trans hump, this is the drivers one is what I have read...is that correct?

EDIT: In fact I just did this procedure and got code 2266 which is a left side blend door failure. Thanks for the help! just need to fight thru the part swap and I should be good to go.

#3 ·
Here you go.....This is what I did after i installed my actuator....

HVAC Module — EATC On-Demand Self Test
The HVAC Module — EATC On-Demand Self Test will retrieve on-demand (hard fault) DTCs only, it will not retrieve continuous DTCs. Continuous
DTCs can be cleared when exiting the HVAC Module — EATC On-Demand Self Test. Make sure to retrieve continuous DTCs by carrying out the HVAC
Module — EATC — Retrieve Continuous DTCs procedure before clearing any continuous DTCs.
• The HVAC Module — EATC On-Demand Self Test will not detect concerns associated with data link messages like engine coolant temperature or
vehicle speed signals. A scan tool must be used to retrieve these concerns.
• The HVAC Module — EATC On-Demand Self Test will detect concerns in the system control functions and will display on-demand (hard fault)
DTCs for concerns that are present during the self-test. The vehicle interior temperature should be between 4°C-38°C (40°F-100°F) when carrying out
the self-test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false DTCs may be displayed.
• The self-test can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when the self-test
is activated.
• To enter the self-test, press the OFF and DEFROST buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within 2 seconds. The display
will show a flashing blower icon for 20 seconds, after which all vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no on-demand DTCs
present. If DTCs are present, the HVAC module — EATC will display "00 00" and then on-demand DTCs. Record all DTCs displayed.
• If any DTCs appear during the self-test, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the HVAC Module DTC Chart and follow the ACTION for each
DTC given.
• If a condition exists, but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or
Incorrect Operation.
• To exit the self-test and retain all DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The HVAC module — EATC will exit the self-test and retain all DTCs.
• To exit the self-test and clear all DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The HVAC module — EATC will exit the self-test and all DTCs will be cleared.
• Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the self-test is exited, the ignition switch must remain ON for at
least 30 seconds to allow the door actuators to automatically recalibrate.
• Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.

#7 ·
Dual climate control module

Hello I am new to this forum, I have looked up a few things to help me with my 2008 F350 PSD. This forum has been quite helpful and I do thank the people that contribute. I have had the common problem of the blend door actuator malfunction. I had the passenger side not working for a few years but I just lived with it until the driver side motor quite working. I was then forced to either take it in and give ford a large sum of money or bite the bullet do it myself. I had taken it to ford and they hooked up the code reader. They told me that both actuators gave a code and also the dual control module gave a code. I figured the control module code was caused by the blend door motors so I just replaced them. After much searching and a few you tube videos. I did replace both. It work perfectly after that so my AC ran fine all summer. A few months later the passenger side acted up again so I replaced it again. Once again it worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. Now I am back to having only the driver side work properly again. Does anyone know if the main dual control module can cause the blend door to fail or am I just getting a bunch of dud motors from ford or was the error code for the control module valid? I tried to get the control module to display error codes using the OFF/DEFROST then press Auto but that didn't seem to work for me. They told me that the control module was $1400 just for the part. I am hoping that there may be something much cheaper to try before forking over all that money.

This is for a 2008 PSD Lariat with dual climate control

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.