Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tire/Rim Help Please

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Crackerjackshot 
#1 ·
Hey ya'll. I'm getting ready to lift my truck and I think I have everything figured out with the exception of what rims and offset I need and everything. So... the lift will be the 7 inch Alpha from PMF. The tires I'm thinking Toyo R/T's in 37x13.50x17. Now if I'm correct in this (which is a long shot), I can run a 17x9 wheel with about -24 offset?
My aim for the tires is for them to sit just about an inch or so outside of aftermarket fender flares that will go on soon. Don't want extremely narrow, but certainly don't want half the tire over in the next lane.
Does this sound about right on the offset for where I want the tires to be/and any potential rubbing? No matter how much I read about this I just can't seem to understand this tire and suspension stuff haha.

#2 ·
Oh crap... forgot about backspace... Surely after this much time somebody has the perfect specs for this height lift and these tires on this truck right? I hope? I'm exhausted from all of the "selecting" I've been doing on the lift and everything.

#3 ·
AAANNNNDDD just realized this is in the wrong thread. Could this please be moved??

#4 ·
Backspace on a 9" wide wheel you want 4-3/4" to 5" is going to keep a 37/13.50/17 off of the radius arms and fenders with a 7" lift.

I have basically the same setup on my truck 7" of lift with 18x9 wheels with 5" of backspace. 38/15.50/18 tires that just barely rub on radius arms at full lock.

This setup is as far inside as I could go and with tires I have they are probably 2" out of the fenders.

#5 ·
Ok great that is the information I'm looking for for sure. So what about the offset? I have started picking out a couple of rims on 4wheelparts that are in my range. 3 that I have selected, one has -12mm offset, one has -6mm offset, and it might be a typo but on looks like it have +6 mm offset. They all have 4.75 backspace except the one that has -12mm offset, it has 4.53. What are those numbers going to do to the tire?

Your 5" of backspace are what is keeping your tires under the truck? Or does it go the other way and put the tire further away from the radius arms?

#7 ·
Positive tucks under, negative sticks out. I've had 0, +12, +18, -12 and -22 over the years on this thing. The -22 by far look the best, as the 12.5" wide tire I run is almost flush with the aftermarket wheel well flares, which are about an inch out. With 13.5 tires on -24 offset 4.75" backspacing, you'll have about two inches out of the wheel well. You shouldn't but you may scrub the liner up front on inside door side of the liner. It will be slight, if you do. Nothing a zip tie won't fix.

#8 ·
Ok... I think I may have settled on a rim FINALLY. I've been looking at this stuff for so long I can't believe I'm finally spending money. I already purchased the lift and the tires earlier today.... I'm looking at the Helo HE878's. Let's see the specs are

4.53 inches backspace
-12mm offset
Load Rating 3200lbs

Just for the sake of remembering these would be mounted to 37x13.50x17 Toyo R/T's. And this is all under a 7 inch PMF suspension. SOOoo... what does everybody/anybody think about the stance this will have? Should sit maybe a tiny bit outside of some after market fender flares right? Also, what about the tire/rim combo? Should look good I think. I would have liked maybe some chrome accents or something but I can get these for 120 a pop, which is good because if I spend any more money right now I might pass out lol. I also like how the all black finish on them look durable and easy to maintain. Shiny is cool but you gotta keep it that way.

Also, just for a little bit of reference because this would have been a lot of research... it SOUNDS Like the tire/wheel combo would come in at about 117 lbs per tire. How heavy is this for a 37 inch set up? Average? That would be my guess...

Either way thank you so much to everybody who has posted at all to any of my topics regarding lifts, offset, tires, yadda yadda. It's all a huge help to a tire noob.

#9 ·
And just to be safe. I'm going to go ahead and wait until I get some people who know more than me to comment before I pull the trigger. Haha.

#10 · (Edited)
that's a little on the light side in my experiences, which is good... i've had as heavy as 144# with 37" STT Pro's and revolver style 20x11.5" wide rims, and as little as 110# with geolander at/s 37" tires on 18x9.5 wheels.

^that is about what you should expect with the 13.5" on -12mm wheels. maybe a touch more tucked, but not much. the flares (most being around an inch) should cover them almost flush.

^picture lends little assist, but i wanted to demonstrate the front tire on these 37x12.5" STT Pro's on -22mm- which should rest damn near the same as your 13.5" on -12mm.... you can see how the tires are pointed slightly left, and how the 3oclock tucks and the 9oclock protrudes.

^ last one that will matter most to you... if this set-up (37x12.5 STT Pro on 20x11.5/4.5"B/S x -22mm o/s) is as I suggest very comparable to yours (*13.5 and -12mm) this is what you can expect from them being mounted under flares that extend roughly 1".... notice the points of the flare and where they hide/expose the tire.

well... edited to add one more... this is ProComp 37x12.5" w/ Flares on same -22 o/s rims teh STT's were on, and after I pulled the rear axle in some (PMF top plates) and dialed the castor with the PMF 3links.... again, pay attention to the points of the flares to see how they extend.

#11 ·
Hey thanks for those! That is awesome. How do you like that head rack on the cab by the way? I've considered getting one. Never can have enough loading capacity.

I THINK that is aggressive enough for me. I also went to customewheeloffset.com which has a lot of superduties on there with the specified backspace and offset and I have to admit that slightly more aggressive might be nice but I honestly can only find 17x9 rims in around a -12 offset at the most. Yours looks really good but there were some on that sight that made me concerned that the rims might tuck too far under the truck. I also feel like I might be being silly and overly critical.

I have to admit. I think that rims are the hardest thing for me to pick out. Haha. Everything else was easy compared to this.

#12 ·
Ok... once again I've spent all day looking at rims again which is probably a bad idea. Now I just need an opinion on looks. I found the Vision 422 Prowler.

https://www.carid.com/vision-wheels/prowler-black-machined-81592898.html?gclid=CP7Vi5K-1tECFZy2wAodvjsOvA

They are identical for the most part with their dimensions, -12 offset, 4.5 backspace or so. Weight is almost identical, the only thing is that these Visions have a 3650 max load and the Helos are 3200. Not really a huge deal to me just because I can't imagine finding 3k pounds to load the truck with honestly.

I'm pretty much looking for just a visual opinion on them. I coudn't figure out the picture thing but I attached a picture of the truck. Either way its crew cab, black with the two tone tan on the bottom. The grille is going to get color matched to black soon and the bumpers will be switched to the two tone tan, not chrome. Lights will end up being smoked HIDs, everything smoked lights wise eventually...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.