Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Early lock up and turbo whoosh

889 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bigtuna401 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is a problem or not. Thought I would ask and see what responses there are. I recently did the EGR delete and updated my Spartan tuner. I'm running the 250 tune and with the update on that tune is the early TQ lock up. The TQ locks up at 45mph. Needless to say, if feels like an elephant jumps on the truck when it does this at 45mph. What I'm wondering though is the sound I'm hearing from the turbo. When accelerating onto the interstate, as I near 45 mph (not getting on it too hard, but good acceleration) the boost is running over 30psi. When the TQ locks up, the turbos make a sound like a pressure relief valve has opened, a whoosh and the boost drops below 10psi.

No codes, no performance issues, just this whoosh. Is this something I need to investigate? I don't recall ever hearing it before I updated the tuner and it's now running the early TQ lock up (which I do not like). I'm a little hyper-sensitive since I did the ERG, every little noise gets my quick attention.

Thanks for any feedback...

#2 ·
it's amazing how much different these things run with just a tune change... like different rigs altogether.

what you're most likely hearing is the PCM commanding the VGT solenoid to open the blades of the high pressure turbo, and the velocity decreasing- when that air no longer being driven into the low pressure sounds just as you describe...

#6 ·
When you say updated you Sp**tan Tuner what update did you do? the answers you have gotten are all true and my question has nothing to do with it but more with wondering when they will be releasing their new tuner and SOTF to the public.. I know some guys on another forum got to do some beta testing so i was curious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.