Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How many miles your 6.4 and any issues?

45K views 65 replies 34 participants last post by  RichardWold 
#1 ·
How many miles on your 6.4 and had any issues so far? I have 101,000 miles on my 08 6.4 that I purchased new. Just replaced air conditioning system and need to replace frame bushings shortly. Trying to decide if this is a truck for the long haul or do I need to replace. I have kept it completely stock. Saw some guy on you tube say the 6.4 was made as a 150,000 mile throw away engine??

#6 ·
135k on mine and I have a nice little list of problems. Head gaskets, fuel pump, oil cooler, egr cooler. I'm about to pull the cab for the 2nd time to replace the fuel pump and head gaskets. First time was for the oil cooler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#8 ·
My wife's 2008 (Brad) has almost 260k miles and is running great.

Reactions: F3502010
#10 ·
I have 235,000 miles on mine just drove it 600 more today. It had the fuel system replaced at 95k it's had most updates like radiator hoses and rad. A few oil leaks fixed, needs a new ac belt as it chirps when it first fires up if you give any throttle at all. Other than that it get oil at 10-15k intervals since analysis says so and it runs awesome did replace the ebp sensor Friday it was blowing a bit of smoke and that fixed it and took care of a few other things as well that I didn't notice till they were fixed.

#13 ·
Well, forgot to mention with 100,000 miles I put a fully built suncoast trans in. That was not the trucks fault on that one [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Don't know if could forget that bill[emoji57]

#16 ·
I'd block it from my memory as well.

#19 ·
135K, replaced hydraulic pump to fix weak brakes, turn into a new radiator perhaps from working near it, hard to say. Delete at 125k miles. Otherwise just filters and oil changes.

If Ford said that then you could believe such a statement. However, Ford does not say anything close. The 6.4 has a MTBF of 350Kmiles. Ask your buddy what his rig is designed for.

Reactions: andyroof
#20 ·
If Ford said that then you could believe such a statement. However, Ford does not say anything close. The 6.4 has a MTBF of 350Kmiles. Ask your buddy what his rig is designed for.
?

#21 ·
This link mentions the B50 design standard for the 6.0L Ford Diesel engine, which is 350,000 miles. If you try hard enough I am pretty sure you will find this is the same goal Ford uses on all of it diesel engines.

I was trying to point on that these engines are designed to go a long way. Folks stuck with the 6.0L because the lack of smog equipment, but we all know it had problems that the 6.4L address, even though I believe the DPF caused a set of issues for the 6.4L.

2011 6.0 and other Predictions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

#25 ·
That's a big list. Did somebody not maintain it?

Reactions: CrazyS0b
#23 ·
135k, oil... Lots of oil and fuel filters... Ohhhhhhh and fuel, can't forget that bill.

Brakes, tires, shocks, errrrmmmmmmmm....

Yah, I show her love and she gives it right back. Same as any other truck I have ever owned (except the cummins, that thing was out to ruin my wallet...)

Aside from the abysmal fuel economy and the frequent oil/filter changes, I can't complain. Ohhhhhh yah and the realization that I am no longer afraid of cracking a piston, dropping a lifter, or hpfp failure... Its the fact that im trying to find an excuse to tear her down and build her :look:

M.A.D. is a syndrome that strikes many 6.4 owners..... And it is also, in many cases the death of a 6.4.

#26 ·
I have to agree with lipka here... That all says extended oil changes along with fuel filter changes.

Not to mention the AC issues and DPF

Belt tensioners are like brakes... Don't count lol.

#31 ·
5k deleted

Reactions: BigBlack6.4
#33 ·
Reactions: HS1
#34 ·
I've got 152k and I've replaced the oil cooler twice now. However, this time with the cab off, I'm also doing head gasket, rocker arms, front cover, machining the heads and of course a coolant flush. I just wish I would have installed the coolant filter at 98k when I bought versus at 145k. Might have saved me some dough.

#35 ·
6.4 mileage

I don't think the 6.4 is a 150k engine. Well it is if you don't fix the known issues beforehand. I'd like to think that if when we bought our trucks, we deleted just the DPF, ran a nice, clean tune, installed a coolant filter and changed the front cover, we might have all gotten to 200k without issues.

#38 ·
Mine has just over 187k miles but has new injectors, new fuel system, and rebuilt turbos due to a previous owner put gas in it (not the owner I bought it from). Mechanically, it is running strong and I hope to have it for years to come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.