Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

A/C Freon

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Lipka101 
#1 ·
I need some opinions on whether or not to purge out my stock filled freon with a/c pro type freon.

Ive noticed recently that my a/c isnt as cold as i want it to be and was going to top it off with that a/c pro kit they sell at most auto stores because i used it before and it made a difference but then i thought " can i purge out all the old freon and fill it with all a/c pro freon? Is there a way to purge the system and do that?

#2 ·
No no no. The biggest thing to point out is that it is highly illegal to open up an A/C system and purge the freon to atmosphere.

It is still going to be R134a. If your system is not performing as well as it should be, it is likely the system is low, which means you have a leak. There are common leak areas, such as the schraeder valves, o-rings, condenser, etc... But you need the right equipment to find the leak. In actuality, you need the right equipment for all A/C jobs to do the jobs the right way. This is one of those things that you are best off handing off to a reputable job to perform...unless you have an A/C machine. Another thing you might do before you take it into a shop, is you could make sure your condenser and evaporator cores are clean and free of debris.

#4 ·
Pretty much exactly whs^^^ it's all 134a and it's not going to make a difference. Actually its probably worse as they throw additives in it, advertise it as super cold and Jack the price up. Take it to a pro and have it checked out if it's not working properly.

Even if you were to release the refrigerant to atmosphere you have to pull a vacuum on the system to pull any non-condensables and moisture that will get in there before recharging.

Also, don't just buy refrigerant from the local auto store and dump it in hoping to fix your a/c. It's very common to overcharge the system and have a similar effect as an undercharged system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Thanks for the help guys! Ill have the dealer take a look at it while they are swapping out my radiator

#3 ·
Pretty much exactly whs^^^ it's all 134a and it's not going to make a difference. Actually its probably worse as they throw additives in it, advertise it as super cold and Jack the price up. Take it to a pro and have it checked out if it's not working properly.

Even if you were to release the refrigerant to atmosphere you have to pull a vacuum on the system to pull any non-condensables and moisture that will get in there before recharging.

Also, don't just buy refrigerant from the local auto store and dump it in hoping to fix your a/c. It's very common to overcharge the system and have a similar effect as an undercharged system.

#5 ·
Yeah, there is no better refrigerant that we can use for automotive AC. If there was (and it weren't more expensive or as damaging to the environment), we'd already be using it. Also, there'd already be people doing this mod (especially down here in the South).

Good call on getting the system checked and not wasting your money on a different version of R134A.

#6 ·
GM has started use of a new refrigerant, called R1234yf, which its biggest advantage is it only exists in atmosphere for 11 days before it breaks down, however I'm not sure of its performance characteristics.

#9 ·
It's not that hard, put a gauge on it and if it is low charge it to the right pressure 35-40 psi is about right for a 134 system. Obviously be sure to charge it in the low side with the A/C on. Use soap bubbles to look for leaks. Releasing 134 is really no big deal and it will need a vacuum pulled on it if the system is opened up.

#11 ·
Releasing 134 is really no big deal.
I agree with you but go ahead and tell that to the EPA. Wherever they are. Somehow they are invisible but they this amazing power to fuk up our lives with all of this global warming chit, dpf emissions crap and whatever else they feel like doing with their magical powers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.