Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Mishimoto Radiator = Defective Product

7K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  Heavy_GD 
#1 ·
I have recently had my 4th Mishimoto Radiator Fail. I understand many of you will will say "Bull, Mishimoto is Great." While I appreciate your zest, it's just not true. The 6.4 Radiator made by Mishimoto is a failure, PERIOD!!! I have had one V1 that died at 3000miles and then had 3 V2 rads that all puked out at 5000miles. No one wanted this radiator to work more than me, it looks impressive and has a nice build, it just does not work. Yes, they have a lifetime warranty, however what good is it if you have to replace every 5K at $300 an install. All I want is my money back and this seems to be a runaround. Fact, my Ford Rad ran 160k miles and I haven't even touched 25k with four of these. The real issue is that they blame their poor product on Ford. Is anyone interested in a Class Action Lawsuite? Tired of spending my hard earned money for a defective product. Defective Product Period!!!!!

#2 ·
The problem is there is no chance a lawsuit works out for you... They hold up their end of the string by honoring their warranty (they also have some of the best customer service).

It is also well known that a rigid radiator on a 6.4 really isn't a good idea. With the way they mount the rad has to be able to flex.

I know its not the answer you want but its the hard truth. I would also bet my arm that Mishi will probably hop in here as they are very active here on the .org. AAAnnnnndddd they have been very transparent as of late of the fact that they are attempting to devise an alternative mounting solution to make their aluminum radiator a viable option.

Reactions: Canadian Mind
#3 ·
Have you asked them for your money back?

I mean - at this point - they've spent four times what they planned on your sale and that number is likely to go up. They're prolly as unhappy with your truck as you are with their rad. If you haven't asked, you might find that they are as happy to get out of the cycle as you are.

#4 ·
Yeah I went through 2 Mishi rads, both versions, and got a credit from the vendor finally.
The warranty is useless when you have to swap it out every 4-5 months.

#5 ·
I have recently had my 4th Mishimoto Radiator Fail. I understand many of you will will say "Bull, Mishimoto is Great." While I appreciate your zest, it's just not true. The 6.4 Radiator made by Mishimoto is a failure, PERIOD!!! I have had one V1 that died at 3000miles and then had 3 V2 rads that all puked out at 5000miles. No one wanted this radiator to work more than me, it looks impressive and has a nice build, it just does not work. Yes, they have a lifetime warranty, however what good is it if you have to replace every 5K at $300 an install. All I want is my money back and this seems to be a runaround. Fact, my Ford Rad ran 160k miles and I haven't even touched 25k with four of these. The real issue is that they blame their poor product on Ford. Is anyone interested in a Class Action Lawsuite? Tired of spending my hard earned money for a defective product. Defective Product Period!!!!!
Yeah I went through 2 Mishi rads, both versions, and got a credit from the vendor finally.
The warranty is useless when you have to swap it out every 4-5 months.
Hey guys,

Chiming in here to apologize for the poor experience you have been having with our 6.4L radiators. The creation and development of this product has been an evolutionary project. After releasing our V1 design, we noticed a trend among users in terms of failures in a specific portion of the radiator. Our team investigated this and found that chassis flex on the 6.4L chassis is directly impacting the integrity of the radiator. To remedy the concern, we enhanced our product by strengthening the core in numerous areas and by adding improved isolation on the mounting points. This new iteration was very successful for a large portion of our customers, however as you have found, a few folks are still experiencing frequent failures.

We are still working towards a solution for those with continuing issues. Our team is experimenting with several different cooling system and chassis components in order to identify a root cause for the flex transfer. Once this is determined, we will be working to remedy this. Ideally, our final iteration should solve radiator failure concerns for all 6.4l trucks.

Failures are not just attributed to aluminum counterparts. Those with plastic radiators are also seeing very frequent failures. Developing a solution for such a serious chassis issue can be challenging and time intensive. Our team is working diligently and as quickly as possible to acquire data, information, and corrective components.

Again, I apologize for the frustrations and inconvenience you’ve experienced.

The problem is there is no chance a lawsuit works out for you... They hold up their end of the string by honoring their warranty (they also have some of the best customer service).
It is also well known that a rigid radiator on a 6.4 really isn't a good idea. With the way they mount the rad has to be able to flex.
I know its not the answer you want but its the hard truth. I would also bet my arm that Mishi will probably hop in here as they are very active here on the .org. AAAnnnnndddd they have been very transparent as of late of the fact that they are attempting to devise an alternative mounting solution to make their aluminum radiator a viable option.
Thanks Crazy. We are definitely taking the issue these folks are experiencing very seriously. We have numerous members of our team working on this project.

Thanks
-John

#8 ·
I have been doing some research on this subject, as I am in the market for my third radiator on my 08. I am seriously considering the mishi but I am scared. I didn't have a problem for the first 120,000KM on my truck, then I started towing some serious weight(12K Lb 5th wheel). Being a 6 speed, the amount of torque that is being transferred to the chassis when shifting is extreme and no doubt the reason my stock rads keep failing on the lower driver side end tank.

I have heard that the body mounts are an area of concern as they wear out after time and allow a lot more flex with age. This is not a good thing as the rad is mounted to the body at the top and the frame at the bottom. Some have had success switching to poly body mounts.

Up here in Canada its gonna cost me about $1300 to get a mishi to my door, then I have to install myself. Stock rad is about $600. I will probably just throw another stock one in and see what they come up with for a more forgiving mount.

Please don't give up on us Mishimoto, I will buy one if you can get it right. Heck if you need a Canadian tester that tows, let me know.

#9 ·
While I appreciate all the words of confidence from Mishimoto and others, the problem remains. I spent @ $900 to fix a problem, the I spent $300 per install 4 times. Anyone good at Math besides me? That's $2100.00 and I still have a problem, in other words, the Mishimoto Radiator did not do the job it was intended for. Let's put Mishimoto's Customer Service to the Test for all to see if they truly back their product and admit to their failures. Please refund the $2100 back to me for not fixing my problem with your product? I and the rest of this forum eagerly await your response!

#10 ·
that is some serious math.
@Mishimoto has been more than actively trying to ID the problem, in reality something caused the radiator to fail, just like the one that ford put in failed.

Did ford replace your factory rads? or even pay high labor rates? Not likely.

But hey, it cant hurt to ask... make sure you get them for the water bill since your mechanic had to wash his hands too. Oh and dont forget the fuel to drive to the shop.

#11 ·
I feel your pain OP. I've had about 5 mishimotos fail in my 6.4 and 2 in my OBS 7.3. I've been refunded for the 7.3 and have a new V2 for my 6.4. The money is a big deal, especially after $100 each time to ship the replacement. They did take care of me on the last one though for shipping and I applaud that. They last about 6 months for me.

The 7.3 failures really made me lose faith because there's no explanation other than a faulty product and not a poor rad support design by Ford like on the 6.4s.

I can say from a personal conversation with Mishimoto, they are working to create a better rad. They are listening to some people and the circumstances of their failures.

But R and D does not make up for the cost of down time, coolant, install, shipping, etc. to those who have had repeat failures.

The worst part of it all was when I'd be at work in a different state many miles from the house and my rad just start leaking and then have this scenario repeat itself many times.

#12 ·
To Heavy_GD and ars5147, I understand your sarcasm of the cost attached to this product and I appreciate you making light of the situation. Here are the facts $300 in labor to switch out Radiator with labor , Fluid, etc.. Yes, my Ford Radiator went out, but it was at 160,000 miles not between 3000 and 5000. If you look at the post from ars 5147 he has replaced 5 Radiators. The Mishimoto Radiator is one that is fraught with failures and should be pulled from the market, PERIOD! You can laugh at my post and poke fun, however $2100 and no fix. There is no other business model that would allow such failures to exist without the company backing it 100% and giving your money back. If Mishimoto's customer service is so great, why aren't they willing to give my money back to me? I do not want another defective radiator from Mishimoto. I trusted them as a company to have a reliable product and gave them money for their product. All they have given me is a hard time, not fixed my problem, and wasted money. It is unacceptable and irresponsible for a company to continue selling defective products that can harm the public. You laugh, however I have young children and travel to rural areas often, if one of these radiators has a total failure and it is say 5 degrees outside. Well that puts my family's lives at risk as well as could destroy my engine. So, all of you can laugh if you want but I'm pretty pissed about this. It will escalate one way or another. Once again, If Mishimoto's customer service is so great and there are only 2 or 3 trucks that are experiencing this problem, then there should be no reason to give us our money back!
What say you?

#14 ·
If you do any in depth research you will and would have seen over the last year or so that it is a very well known problem. The general consensus seems to be that currently a radiator that will flex (OEM) will last a bit longer in some cases. But, there are a lot of 6.4s out there that just seem to eat radiators. Whereas mine just rolled over 120k and still has the original with little to no signs of stress. And for the first 90k miles my truck was never driven without a 16k lb 5er...

Here is what I can tell you, if my rad fails I will put a new one in it... If Mishi comes up with a new support system for the rad then I wouldn't hesitate to jump on board. And I will also say that aside from coolant you can swap a radiator in a 6.4 in right around 45 min. Its kidna like an intercooler, battery, cac boots/pipes, or belt... It is just a waste of money and time to have a shop do it.

And I will put this out there again, if you feel the need to take them to court go for it... But remember that Mishi has held up their end of the stick by replacing it under warranty. They are not liable for install charges of any kind. They are one of the few companies that still stand behind their product and customers. It sucks that you keep having problems and you aren't the only one. Mishi has been EXTREMLY transparent with the issues they have been coming across.

There may be a couple people that feel the way you do, but when it comes to rad problems be mad at the truck and Ford... Mishi has lost out on more money with this deal than you have and would bet my left arm that they are going to continue to work with you.

#13 ·
I can say a couple things.

1. I am a happy @Mishimoto customer with multiple products

2. if they weren't a sponsor here and this wasn't a public forum this conversations and multiple warranties wouldn't likely be happening

3. Recognize that you clearly have a unique/extreme case and put the FoMoCo back in rather than continuing to pile up install bills

@Mishimoto

#16 ·
My only qualm is trying to put them on the hook for labor/install expenses. I totally understand getting fed up with radiator failures and attempting to go aftermarket. Especially with the warranty that Mishimoto provides. I am sure when he first purchased it there wasn't nearly as much info and testing done. That initial hype caught a lot of peoples attention...

Reactions: Heavy_GD
#17 ·
if the warranty doesn't stipulate that labor and shipping are covered, then there's no leg to stand on there.

one thing I like about Ford is if you've got a qualified/certified technician, labor is covered on certain things. Don't know about a radiator because we've never had one fail after replacement, and it's not that difficult of a job really.

But we got a reman 6.4 from Ford that had a line-bore issue, and they warrantied the short block, labor, and fluids. Not too shabby IMO

#18 ·
Ford replaced the pinion seal on my truck that a 3rd party shop screwed up at no charge (out of warranty). Still wouldn't let my local dealer do any diesel work, but their driveline guys are awesome. I was just surprised when I called them to order the seal just to be told bring it by, as long as the one in it is Motorcraft they will warranty it....

#20 ·
Gentlemen, thank you for all of your responses, and many of you bring up good points. The only reason I went with the Mishimoto Radiator was because it was built like the old days and supposedly was the last one I would ever need. I agree wholeheartedly I should have stuck with Ford. As far as the Mishimoto Radiator goes, my first one was the V1 and it lasted 3k, the last 3 have been V2 with rubber mounts and I have made all consequent changes that Mishimoto has suggested. Mishimoto made a product that was supposed to fix a problem and the product is a failure in 4 of 4. Everyone chimes in and says its Ford's problem because of the chassis. I'm pretty sure Mishimoto new about this and designed the radiator to be a fix for the stern chassis. Mishimoto has missed the target by a mile and continues to sale a faulty product. As a manufacturer, Mishimoto has a responsibility to take care of their problems."We are working on it" does not fix the problem of wasted money on a product that is defective.For the people who have trusted this company in buying their products and had multiple failures, not giving them their money back is boarder line fraud. Yes, they can give me another faulty radiator, but it does not fix the problem for me or them. So, the right thing to do is refund the money, and that is what a responsible organization would do. We're sorry for the inconvenience is not fixing my problem and building more angst. You guys have all chimed in about the problems associated with this Radiator and they continue to sale them. It is not the right thing to do.

#22 ·
There are quite a few on the road that have lasted just fine.

But I do have to point out that its the consumers responsibility to make an informed, educated, and researched decision when it comes to a purchase. No offense but look at this just like the 2017 SD... Who in their right mind would buy the first version of a product without waiting to see the issues. And again, them advertising it as a fix holds true for a lot of people. There ARE some trucks that just seem to chew through radiators like they are potato chips.

#24 ·
First, without knowing the failure rates, you cannot say that they are selling a faulty product. There are a number of trucks that are on the fringe and have multiple failures. If Mishimoto sells 10,000 of these radiators and we hear about 100 failures, that's 1%. It's hardly what I'd call a faulty product. I don't have these numbers either. I'd love to see them though.

Second, I am in the market right now for a radiator so I am following this with a lot of interest. I have seen this problem pop up time and time again (Mishimoto failures), but I know that we always hear about the failures and rarely about the successes. Also, we are on a forum where you'll hear more about issues in general. Did anyone have a Mishimoto that suddenly just started "working"?

Maybe I missed it, but what have you done as far as additional fixes to make sure that the Mishimoto was "primed" for success? Did you change the body mounts/hoses/coolant bottles/etc.? Again, I didn't see where you said you did this, I just want to know that what you've done is what they recommend. I have seen too many of these stories where people complain about the Mishimoto (or any other product) not fixing their problem and they never made the additional fixes necessary to make it work.

My biggest question overall is, for those of you that have had repeated failures with Mishimoto, when you switched to another radiator, has the problem gone away? Everyone wants to point a finger in frustration, but I haven't seen a case where someone stops using the Mishimoto and uses another radiator and the problem doesn't occur again. I've inferred it from some of the stories, but I'd be interested to see if anyone has a different experience. Also, what did you replace it with?

#25 · (Edited)
My biggest question overall is, for those of you that have had repeated failures with Mishimoto, when you switched to another radiator, has the problem gone away? Everyone wants to point a finger in frustration, but I haven't seen a case where someone stops using the Mishimoto and uses another radiator and the problem doesn't occur again. I've inferred it from some of the stories, but I'd be interested to see if anyone has a different experience. Also, what did you replace it with?
I had two Mishimotos leak on my OBS, both failures were mirror images of each other. Got a refund and went with the cheapest plastic tanked rad I could find on amazon. I've had no problems since.

Once when one of my Mishimoto 6.4 rad left me in a bind on a Friday, I used one day Saturday shipping to get a plastic tanked rad from Amazon so I could replace it on Sunday (working 6 days a week a hundred miles from the house). The Mishimoto replacements ususally take about 10 days to get to me in PA.

It worked very well until the temps went below zero, it would leak. The end tank would separate from the fins. If it was 4F, it would not leak, as soon as it went below zero, it would leak again. So with this now happening, unusually cold temps, and my replacement Mishimoto having showed up after the warranty process, I put it in.

I was driving 108 miles one way to work and close to 300 miles total a day, so I had to have the truck as reliable as possible.

The leak (lower passenger side) of the plastic tank rad did not mirror that of all the failures of the Mishimotos I've had. I do not believe it was caused by the truck flexing, which I believe is causing the Mishimoto failures. All my Mishimotos have failed in the same location (about 4 inches down from the top, drivers side). It's been deja vu after deja vu.

The factory rad in my 6.4 lasted about 42k miles. That was 42k miles without the Mishimoto list of new/updated parts that are supposed to promote rad longevity. If my version 2 Mishimoto fails, I'll probably ask for a refund and go back to a Motorcraft OEM branded rad but I really have no faith left that any brand/style rad will hold up in my 6.4.

@Doss, if I were you, I'd go factory. Good luck with what you choose.

Forgot to mention, I've got most of the changes done to "prime for success" like you mentioned. Poly urethane body mounts, updated hoses, the only thing I don't have is the latest single port degass bottle. I am not convinced though that any of these updated besides the body mounts would make a difference. Most of the updated components are recommended to prevent pressure spikes/oscillations. One of my Mishimotos was abused with 24 psi of pressure when my head gaskets were leaking. It held up just fine to all the pressure. I could make it puke tons of coolant on command and 24 psi was the highest I saw on my makeshift coolant pressure gauge.

#26 ·
@ars, exactly what I was looking for.

Although, I will say that for everyone that says the factory radiator lasted way longer, you must remember the body mounts and just about every other mount were technically already done on day 1. Plus, the chassis was most likely a lot stiffer being fresh from the factory. As we get miles on these things, everything begins to move more... even if it's just fractions of a millimeter.

Which one did you use from Amazon? I can order one up and see how it works as I can't stand filling my overflow again while I wait to make a decision. I definitely don't want to pay OEM money and have it fail.

Also, what poly mounts did you go with? I'm looking to do that as my truck has about 115k miles on it (it's been getting light duty for the last 2 years because I am out of town mostly).

Keep us updated on how that V2 is working. If it works for a good majority of people, I'm willing to swap out to it mainly because I rarely drive the truck right now. But, starting next year I'll be towing an Airstream around the country and don't want to spend time on the road fixing radiator after radiator.

I just want to swap everything at once and get it running solid again. If know the driver's side cap is leaking. I also have the old hoses and 2 port bottle. I need to crawl under and check the state of my mounts though. The truck is deleted so that eliminates some components.

#28 · (Edited)
Everyone should listen to this recommendation :thumb:

@Doss, I went with Daystar for the body mount bushings. I would not recommend them. Go with factory, they are a much better fit. I still debate on going with factory stuff, just really haven't motivated myself enough to do it. Mine ended up on the truck because the factory ones were completely unusable and fell apart when I started to remove them. My only option was throw the daystars on because they were sitting in front of me.

The daystars work but I'm skeptical to how well. They squeak too sometimes and I hate it.

#29 · (Edited)
@Doss, the factory bushing were toast before 75k miles. I was very surprised of how bad they were. You can't see how bad they are from the outside though.

Looking into it, it ends up I got the rad for the 6.4 from Rockauto. It was a 'Spectra Premium' brand. They used to have a lifetime warranty but now it's only 24 months according to Rockauto.com. Tons of different places sell the brand. Rock auto was the cheapest I think. Amazon prime gets me free two day shipping. I'll just say I buy tons of stuff there haha.

I bought a 'Spectra Premium' off amazon for my OBS and have had no issues at all with it.

I wouldn't change out the degas bottle and hoses if they aren't leaking. To me it's a don't fix something that ain't broke situation.

True about the truck wearing in. It makes the OEM rad a gamble, especially with no kind of warranty that I know of.

I'm keeping a close eye on the version 2. It seems light years better in absorbing flex and vibrations with the rubber mount pegs.

#35 ·
No problem. It was the usual replacement process. Fill out some forms and wait for the new rad. It was not negative experience. They took care of their side and even covered the shipping this time. So it was a more of a positive experience with getting a replacement.

I was contacted by Mishimoto and actually had a phone conversation with someone involved with the 6.4 stuff. We talked about failure time frames, driving habits, use, mods, etc.

#36 ·
That is really good to know. I have a V2 sitting in my house right now waiting to go in. I just have to bring myself to doing the install. I still have all the OEM factory stuff on it and it took a long time to fail (about 112k miles).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.