Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Better tranny?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Ayahtzee 
#1 ·
Alright I am currently trying to figure out what to do with the trans in my truck. I just wanna get a little advice and see what people really think about as far as different options. Minus a couple of "rev slams" here and there my OEM tranny is fine. I'm running the 250 tune and this truck is my daily driver and I tow about twice a week. I just want to have a good reliable tranny that can keep up with the little bit of extra power. What should I do?

1) Install an aftermarket torque converter?
2) Rebuild OEM trans with suncoast/ats master rebuild kits?
3) Start over fresh and throw in an ATS/suncoast tranny?

#2 ·
I bought a used 6.4 truck with an SCT tuner in it. I bumped up the power setting and it started rev slamming. I pulled the tuner, did a computer update and then re-installed. The rev slamming quit! My company 6.2 gas would rev slam on occasion. Ford checked the tranny as good. A superchips tuner fixed the problem completely. I heard about a tuner that needed a learning curve by doing acceleration runs in varying degrees.

#7 ·
What tuner are you running?

The 5r in the 6.0/6.4 are very stout units, they can take alot of abuse.

I'd recommend an oem rebuild with a suncoast converter.

Unless you plan on making some more power, the Option mentioned above should be more than enough for you.

#9 ·
Honestly, I think you would be in luck with just that thought.. try new converter and set the tune to the 210 setting, "tow tune"

From what I have seen with spartan tuned 6.4's, the trans seems to shift a little harder with there tuning. Other than that, they are a great tuner.

If funds allow, possibly look at picking up a SCT with custom tunes. Great shifting and good power.

#10 ·
Spartan has probably some of the best trans tuning on the market... A lot of the harshness has to do more with axle wrap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.