useing a 6.4 as a daily driver

11K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Ranzan 
#1 ·
how many people use a stock 6.4 as a daily driver?I'm looking to
buy my first diesel truck.I'm very nervous about buying a 6.4
diesel truck.Am I asking for alot headaches?What mods can I
do to make the truck last?Any help would great.Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
alot of people do. mostly because its what they want, not what they need. THere is many many pages of reading on here about 6.4s. the do's and dont's.
The biggest question is, do you need a diesel or do you want a diesel?
a diesel is gonna cost 25% more then a gas truck in almost every perspective.
If you want a diesel and have the money they are awesome.
But if you dont have any sort of mechanical knowledge you better save some money. Not only are parts expensive, but if you have to take it somewhere labor is crazy.
I do all my own work. take care of 7 ford diesels between me, my father, and his business. and multiple pieces of heavy equipment that are mostly diesel. And i still have to get online to figure out some of the problems we run into.
Its something i love to do-therefore i take pride in it, and enjoy learning. So when i bought an excursion i WANTED it to be a diesel. but it sure as hell didnt have to be.
Make sure your doing it for you. And that you have done your research. And make sure you bring a monitor when you go to look at a truck. Take it on a long test drive. cold start it. Hot start it. check everything.

Goodluck!!

#3 ·
It's not weather I need a diesel.It's all that is coming for sale.It's very hard to find
a Gas engine in a f250.Unless you buy new ,then there all over the place.But, a new
truck isn't the budget. I've been searching the last 4 years for gas truck with no luck.
thanks for your help.

#4 ·
The 6.4 is probably the best DD diesel on the market right now. It is by far the easiest going diesel in a DD situation. That said, that comes at a cost. The bigger question is are we talking 5-10 miles or 20-30 daily? Freeway or stop and go? And whats the need for a super duty? I don't need a diesel, the truck is a hobby for me... I accept the costs and headache that comes with a diesel.

Owning a 6.4 for work, play, or private use is going to be expensive. In stock form 15qts of synthetic oil every 3k miles... Fuel filters every 8k miles... 12mpg average... Then you have the cost of repairs. And just the same as any diesel things are going to break. Cylinder pressures in a diesel mean parts wear. Yes diesels do tend to last longer than gas, BUT thats only if you keep up with all of the small repairs the pop up. If you let something to on a 6.4 it will cost you a motor. They are not forgiving motors and will kick you every time you are down the moment you forget to do something. Almost any work done on a 6.4 requires the cab to go up. It is actually very easy to pull the cab, but you need a lift......... These trucks are a living nightmare for any driveway mechanic.

If you NEED a diesel or SD in general do your research before buying. I would personally tell you to bite the bullet and find a 6.7 if you plan to keep it stock. No one in their right minds keeps a 6.4 stock. The extra cash up front for a 6.7 is easily made up in fuel and repair costs within the first year of ownership.

I love my truck and wouldn't trade it for the world. I have no real use for it besides something to tinker with... That said, the smart man would learn about and buy a 6.0 before touching a 6.4 if you plan to tinker in your driveway. Unless ofc you want something that builds 600+hp on a stock block with a delete and tune........... And have deep pockets.

#6 ·
By far the most reliable in stock form.

#7 ·
I plan to drive the truck 30-40 miles round trip.I need a heavier truck for what I do
for a living.Did you ever see what a cube of brick does to an f-150 not pretty.But like I
said all that's coming up for sale are 6.0,and 6.4 diesel for sale.I can't afford a 6.7 diesel
truck way out of the budget.The truck I'm looking at is an 08 f-250 with 6.4 diesel with
100,000 miles on it.I've doing a lot of research on the truck .I know somethings to look
for.

#9 ·
Can you delete??? If not, go for the 6.0...

#11 ·
I wouldn't go chevy... They have just as many problems as fords despite what the duratards say. The cummins motor is amazing, but the truck around it is the problem. Along with the transmission.

But this is where the research and going and driving the trucks will teach you. Find the truck you like and figure out whats going to fit your needs most. A lot of guys like the ram trucks... A lot of guys like the chevy trucks... Those of us that are here love Ford.....

#13 ·
Here's one thing I can tell you.. don't get a 2015 6.7L my buddy works at a ford dealership, he has seen more problems in this years model than from 11-14... a lot to do with the fuel systems on it...every truck has its ups and downs, as everyone is saying its all in how you maintenance them, and what your realistically going to be using it for... I love my 6.4, I have it deleted, and I enjoy the power, but I accept the fact that with the way I drive, it's eventually going to cost me some money... if you delete it run a tow or stock tune, it will be more forgiving for a DD

#14 ·
First thing is first... Fuel system wise, EVERY SINGLE MODERN DIESEL HAS THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!! It isn't even something to consider (aside from if it was maintained) when looking at a 6.4 or 6.7 psd, duramax, or Cummins...

Sorry, but they all suffer just the same and you will have just as many fuel system problems (unless you take care of the truck) with any other CR diesel.

The 6.0 is a lot less prone to catastrophic failures than the 6.4... They do have a lot more little issues, but most of those problems are just annoying. The oil cooler and egr cooler are really the biggest problems on a 6.0 followed by head gaskets. And blown head gaskets generally stem from a bad egr cooler. 6.4s have the same cooling failures but they also have extremely weak pistons and share a flawed cam design with the 6.0. The 6.4 also has the same valve train as the 6.0 without the benefit of the oil drain back from injectors. This means rocker wear causing lifters to fail even faster.

#15 ·
I agree. But he's told me by far the 15's are the worst he's seen so far, he says he gets at least one a week with fuel system failures.. I know all Common Rail will have problems, but shouldn't happen within the first few months of buying a truck..

#16 ·
What exactly is the problem? High pressure fuel system failure is a very very very vague explanation. Is it the pump, injectors, contamination???????????? I have heard nothing but good things (aside from a few trucks that have valve issues) from 15/16my owners.

#17 ·
I believe he said injectors were having problems. But don't quote me... I'll have to ask but I just remember him telling me 15 were horrible

#18 ·
A few of them are having valve problems but its very rare, the only fuel system problem I can see being common would be water... New trucks tend to sit on the lot for a long time and can have quite a bit of water in the fuel tank. But usually its caught by the separator without too much problem.

#21 ·
mine is a DD all my trucks have been DDs my 6.4 is a nice driving truck. maintenance is key but i have always been anal about that with all my vehicles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.