Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Upgraded Headlights

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  JohnO38 
#1 ·
I've tried the normal Ebay reflector housings and they leaked right off the bat, tried 3. Last one last 4mths.

I then tried the projector housings and they have been on for over a year and still don't leak, that's good. I was less than impressed with light output. I have been running the 50w HID kit in them and the light output is just so so.....now the outer coating is coming off and it's time for replacement.

Not wanting to spend $500 on headlights for a 7yr old truck, what are the current choices out that you guys are liking? I'm thinking about running LED bulbs in these projector lenses on a new set of this style.

The style I have now is the popular LED Light ring around the headlights and the black housings. I don't hook up any of those, just the turn signals and headlights in the outer projector.

#5 ·
What they said. Aftermarket headlights are useless. Oem housings with upgraded bulbs are the way to go.

#7 ·
I built my own projector set.
35w 4500k HID
DDM Mini H1 v3 projectors
OEM housing
Colour matched the bezel Ingot silver
Smoked the daytime lights
Polished the lenses

Total cost was about $220 Canada for everything plus I have a couple cans of colour matched paint.

Light output is awesome. Great 2 day project and just make sure to align the beams properly and you will have a better headlight set up than any truck on the market.

#11 ·
What is the best replacement bulb for these OEM Head Light and Fog Light housings? I am not looking to go all custom just brighter and whiter (hint of blue wouldn't bother me).

#14 ·
Which ones do you use for headlights and which one for fog lights? Do they plug right up with no porblems? Any pics with them on?

#21 ·
Yes, they did come in. I have a one set of H13's on the shelf. I have just been swamped with all the holiday stuff and still catching up with paper work. Then to boot the azzhats at work (steelmill) bumped me to straight day shift M-F. So now I have no days off during the week to spend in the shop working on projects. :mad:

I do have one customer locally that bought a set for 99 with the 05-07 housings and he said they are decent, and is still messing with the clocking. These 3 sided lights dont light up on all 3 sides while on low or high beam. they light up on 2 sides on low and then light up the other chips on the 3rd side for brights. I think they are still decent, but not a major improvement over the GEN2 or LifetimeLED Superbrights. I did have a company contact me on another 360* LED light, but they dont make the H13 or 9007's yet. UGH....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.