6.0 - how many miles and problems or not - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 05:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 - how many miles and problems or not

We are looking at getting a 2003 crew cab 6.0 automatic. It has 125,000 miles on it. We have never bought a diesel before. Wondering how many miles your's has and if you have had problems with it or if you have never had any problems with it. You hear a lot of people saying not to get them but wondering if it is talk or if it is backed up. Also do you need to do certain things to it to make it run better and what would my MPG be on it?
Thanks
Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 05:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

welcome to the org. the 03 6.0's are hit or miss. i owned one before and only had to replace the turbo (under warranty) other than that, i love the 6.0's
Old 06-19-2009, 06:08 AM
Premium Member

I have 150K on mine, and I haven't had any major issues. The weak points of the motor would be the head bolts and EGR system.

I usually get 15-18 mpg's

oh ya...Welcome to the addiction..err....I mean Org
Old 06-19-2009, 06:11 AM
C-5 Crew Chief

Send a message via AIM to Mattdc26
I have 91K on Mine and its in the shop being studded and EGR Delete only cuz i wanted too though if i drove this thing like normal without those custom tunes from Eric it might be a different story. i love mine, welcome
Old 06-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Chapter Director

113k on my 03 icp replaced at 85k. All injectors replace between85 and 95k. About to do egr delete just I'm about to put an sct with cales tunes on it. Love it. Held up good even though I drive it like I stole all the time.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the replies and welcomes. Not sure what some of the things are that you are talking about such as the EGR, Studded, SCT w/cales tunes, and ICP. Did you do these things because you wanted to or because you had to? I don't think much is different than factory on this pickup. Is that something that I should be worried about?
Thanks
Old 06-19-2009, 08:23 AM
Chapter Director

EGR(exhuast gas recirculation) the coolers crack on the inside and leak coolant into the engine and in extreme cases can hydrolock the engine. get rid of it your truck will thank you and run better and i think a little bit lower egts. Headstuds are one the top things you should consider specially if you are wanting to add power or do a lot of good size towing. the factory head bolts will stretch and lift the gaskets. check out sctflash.com. about 95% of the people on here are running it or plan on running it. it is the s*** to get for this truck. again your truck with thank you for it. better fuel economy(if you can keep your foot out of it). and better shifting. ICP(injection control pressure sensor) they go bad every now and then mine was replaced under warranty.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:37 PM

i had an 04 that i bought brand new that went problemm free until 80k+ miles. then too much went on it including the whole motor. problems were starting to come out of nowhere. egr, injectors, wire harness. had the motor replaced under warranty, but i got rid of it shortly after. sold it to a friend of some friends out in california in february of 2008, and i drove it all the way out there with no problems. he put on an egr delete, and from what i hear it's got over 130k now with minimal problems.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:02 PM

I have an 05 that had 62k when I bought it in Feb. It now has 73k and hasn;t missed a beat! and I get between 16~20 mpg depending on my right foot and the traffic
Old 06-19-2009, 04:10 PM

My family has had a total of 5 6.0's. The 03 100% stock had injectors at 2 months old and then 2 at 67K miles and then the top end rebuilt at 86K miles do to headgasktes blowing. The other 03 has 170K miles an on 4th engine. First engine lasted 97K miles. Reman engines are junk from the start. My 05 70K miles and blew the EGR cooler stock and then scored the engine when I tuned it. I'm on the 3rd engine. The 1st reman that came crapped out. The other 05 engine held up fine and was tuned and was sold with 88K miles. The 06 100% stock had the HPOP system rebuilt at 26K miles and then the engine was pulled at 36K miles for a bedplate leak and now has electrical issues. With no warranty 6.0's are a pricey engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.