Cold starts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 05:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold starts

I've seen some discussions about block heaters, etc. But I wonder if anyone knows or suspects whether there can be any damage/problems with starting in extreme cold without the heater. For example, my 06 F-350 PSD fires right up with the glow plugs warm in -5F today (without block heater), but idles/runs really rough for the first 5min. Any known problems with this?

Dave
Pittsburgh, PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 05:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I wouldn't mind some feeback on this also. Northeast WI is having temps of
-15 with windchills at 35 to 45 below zero (all the schools are closed around here today). I have been leaving my truck at home and driving my 1993 Ford "Exploder" since I cannot plug my truck in at work overnight. Also is it bad to leave it plugged in for a few days while the truck is sitting idle? I plugged mine in at 6 pm last night and planned on leaving it sit for a few days.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:24 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
leaving it plugged in wont hurt it but what sometimes can happen is that it creates a warm place for small animals to hide for a bit

there was a post here somewhere about a skunk crawling up under the hood after a guy plugged his truck in for a week
Old 02-05-2007, 06:21 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if you pluged it in you probably wouldnt have that problem ,what you have is injectors skipping cold , may want to have dealer reprogam to latest calibration supposed to help with cold start running concerns , may or may not help, the reason it runs rough is it has some wear on injectors and they are sticking a little until warmed up,
Old 02-05-2007, 06:22 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Leaving it plugged in will not hurt the truck any. As stated small four legged critters may use your engine compartment for a warm place to hide. I suggest at least banging the top of the hood if your truck has been parked and plugged in for a couple days. Or if you park it warm and then plug it in at night. As a small critter may have crawled up there over night. I know my buddy had his daughters cat get up in his engine compartment. Cost him a sad daughter and a new drive belt, and having to replace the cat that was killed. Just take this into consideration

The block heater is nothing more then a heating element. So yes you can start the truck up and let it run for awhile. I suggest to drive it, in order to reach normal driving temps. Letting it idle for a period of time is not good on the engine. If you do plann on this I suggest a high idle mod. They make the truck idle at 1200 rpms roughly. There for preventing damage to the engine during long periods of idling.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:27 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott whisenhunt View Post
if you pluged it in you probably wouldnt have that problem ,what you have is injectors skipping cold , may want to have dealer reprogam to latest calibration supposed to help with cold start running concerns , may or may not help, the reason it runs rough is it has some wear on injectors and they are sticking a little until warmed up,
I aggree and disaggree. As living in Michigan, my truck always runs like a big heavy cam is in it on a severe cold day. Been like this since I bought it Brand new in 2002. Even with it plugged in all night long in the -20's or colder my truck lugs during intial warm up in the morning. This should only last about a minute to 2 minutes though. If it is lasting longer then that you may have a problem that needs to be looked at. In -45 degree weather that I see on occassion in michigan even with the block heater plugged in the engine may chug and lug longer. Let it warm up until it is running smoothly before driving anywhere to prevent engine damaged.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So bigcountrysg - you think there is potentially engine-damaging conditions if driving before engine warms up? What might happen?

Dave
Pittsburgh, PA
Old 02-05-2007, 09:04 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06KR350 View Post
So bigcountrysg - you think there is potentially engine-damaging conditions if driving before engine warms up? What might happen?

Dave
Pittsburgh, PA

Scoring of the cylinder walls, due to lack of proper lubrication. In the cold weather, especially with the extreme cold weather it takes longer for the oil to lubricate everything because it is thick. Even with a block heater plugged in when the engine is cold and the oil is thick, the engine does not get lubricated properly. This causes premature wear on the internal parts of the engine, cam, crank, crank bearings, main bearings, lifters, valves, valve seals, turbo bearings, pistons, cylinderwalls, injectors, hpop, and what ever other internal parts I forgot to mention. You may not ever notice this damage. This damage may not become noticeable until over time and doing it frequently. But if you do it every time you start the truck and just take off driving and not waiting at least 5 minutes to 10 minutes for the engine to get lubricated. Eventually you will start noticing loss of power, low compression in the cylinders, excess blow by, bad injectors. But like I said this takes repeated times before you will notice the problems. Then again you may never notice the problems or may never have any problems. But I suggest taking the extra 5 to 10 minutes to prevent these damages.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Engine Heaters

I purchased a Blue Heat by Webasto Webasto. It was the best darn investment I ever made!

No more plugging in. Just set the timer or use the remote and it will fire up a small boiler unit, powered by the truck battery and using diesel. In 30 minutes with -35 degree weather, the truck starts like it's plugged in all night and has already defrosted the windows and warmed the interior.

Pricy but well worth the investment for us northerners!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:00 PM

Extreme cold wx starting...

I partially agree with 'bigcountrysg'.. we've been experiencing -20 to -30 around here for the last week. (actually this winter has been in the minus most of the time)!
My plug in is on a timer, starts at 8pm and ends around 7am. I still let it run for a good 15 or better b4 driving off. Sometimes as long as 20-25 min. If placed in Park it automatically goes into a fast idle shortly after starting it. I get the 'exhaust whistle' for about 10 of those warming up minutes. Was using a synthetic delo 5-40 but have gone back to the dino 5-10 motorcraft. Notice no diff in engine noise after starting in extreme cold.

Joe

Last edited by Joco49; 03-04-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.