Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What First?

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  GoFastPadre 
#1 ·
Should be getting the "new" truck soon. The one listed in the signature. You guys have got me straightened out on some of the upgrades I hope to do soon...gauges, exhaust, tuner, etc.

But before that I'm trying to figure out what to do. The truck has 40,000 miles but since it's coming from a generic dealer it's history is somewhat unknown. It is completely stock as it sits.

I was thinking of maybe taking it to the Ford dealer and letting them go through it....all filters, fluids, etc. Kinda like get everything done and start from fresh. Of course I'm expecting to have to give them a wheelbarrow full of money to get it done. But if it's money well spent then so be it.

Also was wondering what warranty type issues I should look for to get taken care of while it's there.

Is there much difference in the service departments of the OEM dealers? I've always had guys I trusted with my stuff and never used the dealers. But it seems with this one I might be best to work with the dealer at least until the warranty is over.

Any thoughts or ideas of where I should start be appreciated.

Thanks...Al

See less See more
#2 ·
you definately want gauges.... i would drain all fluids myself and replace with some synthetic brand, amsoil, redline, etc.....

the exhaust and tuner is definately a good route to go... and being this is a 6 uh oh, studs and an EGR delete would be a good idea... if you need any assitance or pricing, let me know... along with working for Iron Bull Bumpers, I own Evolved Motorsports and can get just about any part at great prices

edit... if you have guys you trust and they know diesels, dont sweat bringing it to the dealer unless something is broken that they can fix under warranty... just keep maintenance records because if something major happens they are nice to have to stop any problems before they arise

#3 ·
Should be getting the "new" truck soon. The one listed in the signature. You guys have got me straightened out on some of the upgrades I hope to do soon...gauges, exhaust, tuner, etc.

But before that I'm trying to figure out what to do. The truck has 40,000 miles but since it's coming from a generic dealer it's history is somewhat unknown. It is completely stock as it sits.

I was thinking of maybe taking it to the Ford dealer and letting them go through it....all filters, fluids, etc. Kinda like get everything done and start from fresh. Of course I'm expecting to have to give them a wheelbarrow full of money to get it done. But if it's money well spent then so be it.

Also was wondering what warranty type issues I should look for to get taken care of while it's there.

Is there much difference in the service departments of the OEM dealers? I've always had guys I trusted with my stuff and never used the dealers. But it seems with this one I might be best to work with the dealer at least until the warranty is over.

Any thoughts or ideas of where I should start be appreciated.

Thanks...Al

Congrats on the purchase and Welcome to the ORG!!!

I would let the dealer do a trans flush @ 60K and have synthetic put in then. Your torque converter holds 8 qts of fluid and you can't drain it all out. You do not want to mix the synthetic with factory oil. You should do filter changes @ 30k. The oil should be changed @ 7.500 using motorcraft, if you go with a good synthetic Amsoil, Schaffer etc. you can go 10k. Amsoil says 25k. but not for me. There is as much difference in dealerships as there is daylight and dark, we mostly call 'em stealerships. Where do you live? I ould wait till I had an issue before taking it in to the dealer, but my dealership charges $89 for an oil change 15 qts and filter.

#4 ·
Thanks guys.

Reason I was considering the dealer is for warranty issues and also I've read the 6.0 are kinda finicky about their fluids. Otherwise I've always stayed away from the dealers because of their prices.

BTW Padre...your truck looks almost exactly like the one we're getting.

We're over in Custer Park, Illinois...about 30 miles south of Joliet. I'm going to looking for a dependable diesel shop since my regular guy admits he has limited diesel experience.

#5 ·
It will be a sharp truck then!!! I love mine. I know a lot of guys down the 6.0's, but mine just runs and runs and runs! I would also recomend getting the aftermarket exhaust soon. I just put the 3 1/2" downpipe on mine, the cat is punched out just the can for looks I have to do emissions, I also ditched the muffler. She sounds off pretty good! The other thing I am gonna do to mine soon is delete the egr valve cooler and all!

#7 ·
Yep Padre, pretty is what got her sold to us. I was test driving a 7.3 when wife found the 05. The 7.3 i was looking at hadn't been hit by the ugly stick but it probably been by it a few times.

Anyways by time I got back from the test drive wife has pricing and all on the 05. Well if you're married you know how that goes. So hopefully picking it up this afternoon when a few leaves fall off the money tree.

I was dead set against a 6.0 myself. But now that I've read more about them and got some facts I'm pretty excited. I'm going to do the exhaust very soon along with the gauges. Tuner probably next unless I can get a package deal somewhere. We're not far from River city diesel and sounds like they got the egr delete figured out pretty good along with head studs. But that'll probably be down the road a little.

I've gotta get a B&W gooseneck put in it and get the bed sprayed too so gonna make some calls today on that.

Just scares me now that I'll have a pretty truck that I might have to shave and start dressing better.

Pictures take too long with dial up to load but here's a link to the dealer site with pictures of our truck.

2005 Ford F350 $29,995 - Tessone Motors - Lockport, IL 60441 Dealer

#8 ·
Hey Padre, do you got your truck leveled in front? Looks darned good how it sets. i was thinking of a leveling kit to take the rake outta ours.

#11 ·
It came that way. It is an FX4 which is the new way of saying Off Road so it has upgraded shocks and skid plates. It looks even better now, I put some 295/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on it. I have been looking for my camera so I can update the pic.

#9 ·
I personally wouldn't take it to Ford for a once over and fluid change. As long as the tranny fluid smells and looks good, wait untill the recommended service and then have the work done. The rest of the fluids are no big deal, either for yourself or your regular service guy.

I didn't want a 6.0l when I was first looking, only because I had read so much negative about them. But, I got mine anyway and have been VERY happy with it. 4 years and almost 45k miles and it still makes me smile to drive it.

The first things I would recommend to buy would be the exhaust system and a pyro...possibly a tranny temp guage too with the slush box. I'd really say to wait on the tuner for a while. That engine will have plenty of power to do what you need. However, the tuner does make it more fun. When you get ready to buy a tuner, I would say to get one that allows you to run custom tunes. That way, you can get a tune that is suited for you and what you want to do with the truck.

The latest Diesel Power magazine has a good artical about the 6.0l. The problems and the fixes. Not to mention the PSD sites can be a lifesaver.

Good luck with the new wheels.

#12 ·
Yeah i want to get the gauges and exhaust on real quick Tuner probably be a while. I've pulled for years with gassers so the power will probably feel good stock for a while. But when I do I'm gonna go with the SCT and Innovative tunes.

Buddy did give me the 6.0 so I'm gonna look through it a little better.

For gauges I'm looking at EGT, trans and Fuel Pressure. I found out there is a factory boost gauge in the cluster.

#14 ·
Yeah i want to get the gauges and exhaust on real quick Tuner probably be a while. I've pulled for years with gassers so the power will probably feel good stock for a while. But when I do I'm gonna go with the SCT and Innovative tunes.

Wise Choice! I am gonna do the same thing. I just got my custom exhaust all done, 3 1/2" Turbo Back Straight Pipe now with a 6" MBRP tip. I have to say a huge thanks to chvyrkr81 and crew991 for all their help! I saw a post by Cobbs Diesel Performance that they have 4" and 5" kits for the 6.0's for like $260
Buddy did give me the 6.0 so I'm gonna look through it a little better.

For gauges I'm looking at EGT, trans and Fuel Pressure. I found out there is a factory boost gauge in the cluster.
Go with EGT maybe pre and post turbo , Oil Temp, Trans Temp

Let me know what you think of the Nitto tires. I'll probably be in the market for some soon too.
I absolutely love them! They do whine some on the road but. it has rained here about every other day the whole year and when I was trying to cut the grass I got the mower stuck, really stuck, so i said i'll just back the truck up here and hook up the chain........... While I was hooking up the chain the truck sank about 4". Of course I said OH CRAP!!!! She came right up out like the bad dog she is I slung mud everywhere.:hehe::hehe::hehe:

Discount Tire Direct has the best prices around too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.