Spare tire lock or something - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to JWJR Send a message via Yahoo to JWJR
Spare tire lock or something

Dad got his truck a few months ago and i just got around to dropping the spare to check the air pressure for is lazy . I tried and tried with the extention to get it down like it does in the F150 with no availe so i came im to look in the online manual, which coincidently want in the truck when we bought it, to see how do get it down and it told me i need a key or something which i luckly also dont have. So where the heck can i buy a replacement or is there another way to be able to get the tire down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 05:39 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
The key you can get at the dealer. But you might be able to do it with a torx head bit some long extensions and a 3/8 ratchet. I don't know what size torx head would work. But I am sure it would be around a T20-T25 maybe a little bigger.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJR View Post
Dad got his truck a few months ago and i just got around to dropping the spare to check the air pressure for is lazy . I tried and tried with the extention to get it down like it does in the F150 with no availe so i came im to look in the online manual, which coincidently want in the truck when we bought it, to see how do get it down and it told me i need a key or something which i luckly also dont have. So where the heck can i buy a replacement or is there another way to be able to get the tire down?
The previous owner kept the key piece from my truck for some reason so I went to Ford and got one for around $10.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:46 PM

i just got rid of the spare under the truck because it was pointless anyway... I keep full size matching spares and they dont fit under the truck
Old 06-13-2009, 06:01 PM

yeah well dads a wuss and wont lift and put big tires on anything. ill call the dealer monday see what they can do for me.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:15 PM

LOL.. bet he doesnt know youre calling him a wuss or he'd whoop your ***...LOL
Old 06-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

I couldn't find my key either and contacted a dealer about one. Went back in the glove box and there it was - in a pouch face down with a black back. Nestled right down in the bottom of the box out of sight. Maybe you should check again?
It is a cheap piece of crap. I have read on hear where others have cotten it out and re-did it to improve quality. Do a search.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunesRunner08 View Post
LOL.. bet he doesnt know youre calling him a wuss or he'd whoop your ***...LOL
probablly not even but he proably dont care anyways since im always wanting him to lift it or the Foreman.

and Hank the glove box and the center concole were both completely empty when we got it.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:52 AM

My previous 03 didn't come with the necessary key either. When I called the dealer about it, they seemed confused. They told me that there were 10 or so different keys and the only way to find out which one I needed was to bring the truck to them so they could try all 10.

I ended up finding a write up, either here, the dieselstop, or some other online forum, that documented a procedure in which a (9/16ths ? - don't recall exact size) deep socket is hammered onto keyed crank on the spare tire winch, and then you can beat the socket back and forth to break the keyed end off the winch. After that, I could raise and lower my spare tire with the plain end of the tire iron wrench. However, there was no salvaging the socket.

Thanks for the thread. It reminded me that I still need to check out the status of my spare tire and associated tools on my 06.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:34 PM

ill see if i cant find that trend. i havent had time to call the dealer yet since i have been getting ready to leave for scout camp sunday.

edit: 14mm 12pt sound right to you. does the lock just come off or does it have to stay attached? alot of people talk about drilling them out. if thats the case that will be cheaper and i will not have to worry about loseing anything again.

Last edited by JWJR; 06-16-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.