Should I buy a 6.0 over a 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I buy a 6.0 over a 7.3

I have some experience with diesels, so I know what I'm getting into.

I've come across some 6.0s and some 7.3s all similarly equipped for relatively the same price.

So, my question is, other than being newer (which helps my insurance lol), why should I get a 6.0 over a 7.3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 04:44 AM

6.0 Easier to find, nicer ammenities :0)
Old 06-11-2009, 05:08 AM

6.0's are faster and more fun to drive, but have their share of gremlins. If you prefer reliabilty over high performance, you can't go wrong with the 7.3. If you want high performance over reliabilty get a 6.0. If you want reliabilty and high performance get a 6.0 and do the egr delete and head studs, then hope for the best.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
why should I get a 6.0 over a 7.3?
You shouldn't, unless you want EGR and oil cooler problems, and probably head stud issues, too

Last edited by Manatee; 06-11-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:16 AM

the basic truck is much improved with the 6.0 especially the 05 and newer ones. 6.0 just performs better.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:35 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
You shouldn't, unless you want EGR and oil cooler problems, and probably head stud issues, too
Now you're just scaring the guy, making it sound like every 6.0 has those issues. NOT every one has those issues, just some, and if you consider the amount of issues compared to GM and Dodge, then you're really comparing apples to oranges. FORD outsells both of them in the diesel market... COMBINED, therefore, more trucks on hte road, and there will be a number of them with problems, but I think comparably the 6.0 i equal to the others. That's my opinion

I love my truck, but I've never driven or owned a 7.3. From what I've read here, some people hate them too
Old 06-11-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
Now you're just scaring the guy, making it sound like every 6.0 has those issues. NOT every one has those issues, just some, and if you consider the amount of issues compared to GM and Dodge, then you're really comparing apples to oranges. FORD outsells both of them in the diesel market... COMBINED, therefore, more trucks on hte road, and there will be a number of them with problems, but I think comparably the 6.0 i equal to the others. That's my opinion

I love my truck, but I've never driven or owned a 7.3. From what I've read here, some people hate them too
well said. People fail to realize that there are more Ford trucks sold than all of the rest combined each year so of course as a percentage you would expect to see more problems.
I know people with high mileage 6.0's and never a problem cept injectors but none of them have tuners, programmers or deviate from stock except for maybe missing kitties and egr valves and cooler.
In all fairness the 7.3 is just as good even if a bit sluggish except for the trannys in them. The E4OD is just not as goosd as the toeqshift
Old 06-11-2009, 07:02 AM

I love my 7.3 and Im biased towards 7.3's but I would take a 6.0 with egr delete and studs for sure. I just got the innovative tunes on my buddies 07 last night and it made my truck feel like it had a chevy 350 under the hood.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
Now you're just scaring the guy, making it sound like every 6.0 has those issues.
You are right. I guess I'm just still a little sore about my EGR failing at 25k miles

That said, if Ford sold both I'd special order a 7.3 with a Torqueshift tranny.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
You are right. I guess I'm just still a little sore about my EGR failing at 25k miles

That said, if Ford sold both I'd special order a 7.3 with a Torqueshift tranny.
Thjere is a lot to be said for that combination. I've read that the heads on the 7.3 while not flowing near as well as the 6.0 do give the engine a better towing heavy load ability. I'm not sure that is a valad claim though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.