'06 VERY loud on startup in morning.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2007, 05:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'06 VERY loud on startup in morning..

I have remote start on my truck. I start it up in the morn when I take my dog out, so I can hear it start. Typically, I let the glow plugs cycle twice, and let it start after the second cycle. This morning, with the temp around 15 degrees, it started with such a racket that I almost dropped the dogs leash and ran over to shut it down. But after a couple seconds, it settled down and ran with no problems the rest of the morning, as it has every morn since I got it.

I have noticed on a few other occasions that it was more noisy than other days, but today was a bit shocking.

I have a heater cord, and will be putting it on soon, but when, i don't know. It has been COLD here, and with the snow and slush, my truck is a mess, and i am assuming the underneath is in no better shape. Since I can't get it into my garage, and its about 20 when I get home, the last thing I want to do is lay in the ice and snow and try to route a heater cord with frozen hands. I'll have to wait till it warms up a bit.

Smith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Jon

Matter of fact.

I just read a TSB on cold start up and I saw the part that at temps of 20 or below it is not uncommon for even a new truck to stutter on start up. It is to be disregarded as normal if a quick flick of the accelerator pedal smoothes it out.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:25 PM

I certainly don't have the temps. you do, but let me tell you, it's night and day with the truck plugged in. I usually just have 30s at night. When I don't plug it in, it clatters like the devil at start-up. When I do plug it in, the glow plugs barely even cycle, and the truck is quiet when I start it. You will be quite happy with the heater.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:33 PM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
Get the heater cord on if you can. We have had similar temps, and with the cord plugged, it starts like a champ...warms up fast too. It took me like 10 to run the cord and fasten it in place.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm just going to duplicate what I posted in the block heater thread.

Holy crap was it cold this morning!! 0 on the thermometer, got up at 5 and plugged it in, went out at 7:30 to start it and it was like it was'nt even plugged in. It took 3 or 4 trys with the key with allowing PLENTY of time for the GP's to warm up prior. I should have known better than a couple hours on the plug in. I have since cleared a spot in the garage so she gets a heated stall now. There is absolutely no way I would not plug the truck in if it were outside in this weather. That was extremely hard on the motor.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They sure make a racket when its cold. I am in mn. and when its below 20 i plug it in. usually i will leave it plugged in all night. starts great in the morning before work and blows heat right away. after i get to work and it sits all day it sounds terrible when it fires up. I just cycle the glow plugs and let it shake and clatter for a bit, then it smoothes out. nature of the beast i guess.one thing i noticed is when its not plugged in it takes forever to warm up at a idle. i just let it warm up for 5-10 min and then drive it "easy" i try to keep the tach under 2k, anyhow the truck warms up faster this way.even if the engines warm remember the rest of the truck isnt so it takes a few miles to get up to temp.(just my 2 cents)
Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 PM

yeah thats normal, mine starts to noticeable get that studder rumble when its even mid 20s, hell 15, thats nuts lol, plug that baby in! any diesel will do this, the block is so darn cold that the fuel doesnt burn well until a few seconds at least. My diesel 3 cylinder briggs vangaurd motor in my Simplicity tractor does this when its real cold out too but takes 30 seconds not 15 like the truck to smooth out. Ideally you plug the truck in anything under freezing. I dont know if it really hurts not to but it wont start like this when its plugged in.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:24 PM

ranger, after asking about how long the heater takes to warm up the block, most say 3hrs minimum if its in the 20s, if your saying it was zero out, lol yeah you probably warmed the block up to 35-40deg F by the 2~ hrs later :p could you imagine it at zero then? blah lol
Old 02-01-2007, 04:31 AM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJG 6.0 View Post
after i get to work and it sits all day it sounds terrible when it fires up.
Thats why I am glad my bosses let me plug it in at my shop at work.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:39 PM

Going to install the plug tonight or tomorrow. Sunday and monday here is supposed to be highs in the teen's, with lows around 0 to -3!

If I let it run for ten minutes, it is blowing warm air when I get it. I still take it easy for the first couple miles, at least until the temp gauge starts to rise above the bottom line.

Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.