Ok here it is...ive had an 06 f350 6.0l quad cab 4x4 dually for about 7 months. This thing is the definite favorite of all the trucks that ive had, even with all the recent problems.
This truck had 119,000 miles when i got it. I have had to replace two injectors and have had to put a hpop kit in it. I must say that the difference in the performance has been staggering considering the ford professional says i presumably bought it with two bad injectors.
The truck had problems starting, hence the hpop kit to replace several seals, valves, a regulator and a tube of some sort. The truck starts immediately in cold or hot weather now. Then it was diagnosed as running sluggishly so the #1 and #3 injectors were replaced. The tech also said he "flashed" the computer and it also sounds different altogether. I have absolutely no complaints and have been overjoyed with my brand new powerstroke. My tech guy is a close friend of a friend and charged me next to nothing to put this work in at the ford house. Recently the msrp price with labor was quoted at 3000 and i paid $500 for my friend to do all the work on lunch. I was seriously considering getting rid of the truck for fear of the costs in the future. This tech told me i would be a fool to get rid of it because he saw how clean the inside of the engine was in comparison to others of the same mileage and assured me that keeping my truck was far better option than getting a new one and paying nearly $800/month for an engine that was not as good. He assured me that he could take care of all future repairs for a very reasonable price no matter what they may be. This is the history of this truck but here are a few questions that i have and would be so grateful for your professional and knowledgeable input.
1) new vs. old- keep mine and pay out of pocket for repairs at an unbelievable low "friend" price or go for a new one with a warranty and have no out of pocket- consider 4 years @ $400/month for my truck and 7 years @775/month for a new one.
2) im told that this is a kind of standard maintenance on these trucks with this mileage is this usually so?
3) should i have replaced all injectors if he only said it needed 2 so it wont have to be cracked into again?
4) i keep hearing people talk of getting an egr delete for these trucks at a certain mileage. What is that and if and when should i do it?
5) is there anything else i can or should do to ensure that this truck is reliable and dependable?
im a complete noob on this subject so any help is greatly appreciated...sorry for this being so long winded.