EGR Guinea Pig! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 02:40 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Guinea Pig!

OK guys, I've read four days worth of threads about EGR deletes, block offs, plugs, and home fabs. I've quite thoroughly lost my mind over this subject!

Unless someone can tell me a good reason why not (I'm all ears!), I'm probably going to try the following:

BLE EGR Eliminator ($191.99)

Elite Diesel Sneaky Pipe ($165.00)

My rationale for this approach is the following:

1.) My truck is still under warranty: So a full EGR delete is out for me, period. People say if your dealer is friendly..., etc. Well what good would that do me if my truck breaks four states away, the friendly guy leaves, gets fired, etc..... Too big of a risk in my book!

2.) Return to stock would be easy: Replace my EGR valve, and if I want to be 100% stock, then also my original up pipe. Done, EGR system would be bone stock.

3.) If the module on the BLE product works (anyone here actually know???) there should be no cel light or any codes at all... Correct? It should run trouble free with the factory tune or an SCT if I so chose???

4.) While not a full delete, were my stock EGR cooler to leak coolant, where in the heck would it go? It can't go through the intake, because it's plugged by the BLE plug. It also couldn't go through the exhaust if the plug is welded into the sneaky up pipe. Correct? If so, then who would give a crap if the pipe in the EGR cooler ever cracked? If my pipe isn't cracked right now (mine isn't yet...), then why would it anyway with the welded sneaky up pipe blocking out the exhaust gas heat?

5.) I am definitely not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I'm sure I can plug in the BLE eliminator though. The sneaky up pipe is probably at the far end of my ability to do stuff on my truck as far as I can tell. I can't be doing any major disassemblies past that level, and I can't really afford to spend the big bucks right now paying a pro to do it either.

6.) The BLE EGR eliminator plus the Elite diesel sneaky pipe together would cost $357.00 plus shipping. That is a lot cheaper than paying to have my currently non-broken truck taken apart by someone else for some other more expensive method that would take me even more to undo later if I had to.

Does anyone here have any actual experience with the BLE product? I'm having a real hard time finding anyone that is actually using one.

Does anyone here know where I can get a sneaky up pipe of the same quality (stock appearance, etc...) as the one Elite Diesel is selling for a lower price? It;s probably the one for me to get, but less expensive is always nice if the quality is still there.

I'm sorry to post yet another thread about EGR's, as I know the subject has been beaten to death, but I can't find any definitive answers to the actual combo I've proposed above. I'm looking for something that us non-tech savvy guys can install on a budget that will still fulfill all of the above requirements. Thanks a bunch for any constructive help you guys can give!!!

Last edited by Variable556; 05-31-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm in the same boat dude, so I'm subscribing.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacked Out Outlaw View Post
I'm in the same boat dude, so I'm subscribing.

same here x2
Old 06-01-2009, 06:32 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
For the money you plan on spending you can do all the work and get an SCT with tunes to remove the EGR valve operation.

To remove the EGR up-pipe start by removing the pass. wheel, pass. wheel well liner. This will help with access to the EGR up-pipe, pull the pipe (skinny arms or a second person will help), mod the pipe and reinstall. Then using the SCT you can remove the EGR operation with a custom tune. Drive and enjoy!
Old 06-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Heavy Assult; tell me more, i just tore my truck apart this weekend i have everything out,and i'm real hesitant about spending 600.00 bucks on a Complete EGR delete kit the truck is NOT under warranty.I had found a step by step instruction on this site for a do it yourself delete kit so My plan was to take the cooler down to my buddys machine shop and cut it up and do a delete kit myself.the more i look at this home made mess the more i'm worried its going to fail,leak. any suggestions on a cheap kit or maybe some other instructions/plans on a do it yourself? ....... ALSO FOLKS I'm NOT a Mechanic and removing the EGR cooler was'nt that bad,it took me about 4hrs, a six pack of miller light.The only problem i had was when the wrench slipped on the back turbo bolt and i busted my knuckle.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

Subscribing. I'll let you get it figured out then I'll try. Keep us posted.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

if your trucks under warrenty why mess with it?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:12 AM

Do you know someone who can tig weld stainless steel? You don't have to cut up your cooler. I made my own delete kit. You can't tell that it's been modified. I run the truck hard and also tow a 35' fifth wheel. I don't have any problems.

I took the up pipe and cleaned it good. The port where it ties into the cooler, I tig welded a 3/8" stainless steel block plate. Then with the cooler, I also tig welded the 3/8" stainless steel block plates on both sides. This way it can't leak coolant into the engine if the cooler breaks. My cooler was in good shape.

If you live in a state that requires a smog check every year. This kit will work for you. Because if they look at your egr system, it'll look like all the pieces are still in place.

If you can't find someone to weld it, you can send the up pipe and the cooler to me. I have the tools and certs. to do the work (union pipe welder and welding instructor). It's $200 for the work (It takes time to set up and weld it) and it'll be done the same day I get it. I will send it back the next day, you pay for the shipping.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 AM

If you do it the same way I did, you won't need to have a tuner to disable the egr. I have a 2005, mine doesn't throw any codes at all. Also if you do still have a warranty, they can't tell if you did this "delete". You would have to tear the egr apart to see any work done. No one is going to go through the trouble to see that.

Besides, inside that egr system is really dirty. I remember when I took my out, there was alot of garbage in the cooler and the up pipe. Just think that the junk goes back into your engine. What's the point of a air filter? It's pretty bad.

Well good luck with your egr.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 AM

thr problem with not doing a full delete kit is when you are running hard, you can still blow out the EGR cooler and then you are back at square one... I am running a special on the full EGR delete kits right now and they arent much more expensive that what you are looking at there... and my kits include gaskets and everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.