New fuel pump questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New fuel pump questions

If I am trying to achieve at least 65psi of fuel to the injectors would a 100GPH pump be sufficient? And would it be important in increase line diameter?
I am running stock injectors now and see no reason to go larger if I can not supply adequate fuel
Tell me if the statements are correct below.

- A 100gph pump will provide more fuel pressure which will return me better fuel economy and supply the starving rear cylinders?

-Installing 90H.P. injectors with out a better fuel pump is useless?

-If your goal is to stay around a reliable 450-500 h.p. then you do not need anything larger than a 100gph pump?

-You do not need to increase fuel line diameter when installing a 100gph pump to get maximum benefit of the new pump?

Thanks y'all. I am trying to maximize my fuel economy and efficiency as I pack on the miles (130K)

Last edited by BryanH; 05-29-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 08:35 PM

subscribed
Old 05-29-2009, 09:04 PM
back in the saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanH View Post
If I am trying to achieve at least 65psi of fuel to the injectors would a 100GPH pump be sufficient? And would it be important in increase line diameter?
I am running stock injectors now and see no reason to go larger if I can not supply adequate fuel
Tell me if the statements are correct below.

- A 100gph pump will provide more fuel pressure which will return me better fuel economy and supply the starving rear cylinders?

-Installing 90H.P. injectors with out a better fuel pump is useless?

-If your goal is to stay around a reliable 450-500 h.p. then you do not need anything larger than a 100gph pump?

-You do not need to increase fuel line diameter when installing a 100gph pump to get maximum benefit of the new pump?

Thanks y'all. I am trying to maximize my fuel economy and efficiency as I pack on the miles (130K)
1. 65psi to the injectors is more than enough. I would recommend 55-60 tops at a CONSTANT pressure.

2. A 100 gph pump will supply adequate fuel to stock and larger injectors. It will easily supply enough fuel for even 190's. The Airdog 100 is more than enough for 90% of the trucks out there. The 150 flows more, but isn't really necessary. The price is the same on both which is why I chose the 150, even though it is more labor intensive to install.

3. If installing upgraded injectors I would recommend at the minimum you ran an Airdog 100 or 150 and a regulated return system under the hood. You could skip the reg. return and just use a stage 1 kit with a rear crossover line if you got rid of the factory HFCM and installed a Raptor pump (which is a regulated pump).

4. The factory HFCM will easily supply stock injectors with a steady supply of fuel. IMO it will supply a stage 1 injector well enough too. Anything bigger and you need the Airdog for a pusher pump to the HFCM, if not a Raptor to replace the HFCM completely.

5. I'm not mentioning FASS here, because I personally do not recommend them due to all the failures I've witnessed and/or heard about.

I'm sure I left something out. Keep the questions coming.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:24 PM

Great info Kurt, Thanks.

So if I plan to run stock injectors or a bit larger, I could replace my stock HFCM with a raptor 100gph and no other modifications (Larger lines, Cross over line) and consistently supply 60PSI by setting the pump. This would provide more than adequate fuel to the injectors and my benefits would be efficient fuel to the two the rear cylinders and better fuel economy.
Does this sound correct.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:35 PM
back in the saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanH View Post
Great info Kurt, Thanks.

So if I plan to run stock injectors or a bit larger, I could replace my stock HFCM with a raptor 100gph and no other modifications (Larger lines, Cross over line) and consistently supply 60PSI by setting the pump. This would provide more than adequate fuel to the injectors and my benefits would be efficient fuel to the two the rear cylinders and better fuel economy.
Does this sound correct.
I would add a stage 1 kit to your list.. and a crossover fuel line to the back of the heads. The stage 1 type kit just uses larger fuel lines for increased volume. It doesn't have a regulator. You only need one regulator in your whole fuel system and the raptor has one built in. The airdog is also a great idea if you want to keep your injectors happy. It not only filters the fuel better than the stock filters, but removes any air as well. By using the airdog AND the raptor you can guarantee you are getting NOTHING BUT fresh fuel to your injectors.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
55-60psi is perfect. if you want to add some more fuel you can run an airdog with a raptor. thats what i have. but now they have or are releasing the airdogII

check that out. will flow enough fuel for almost anything you can throw at it
Old 05-30-2009, 07:29 PM

sorry for bustin in but would it be btter to go with the airdog and raptor? or just the AD II?
Old 05-30-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
5. I'm not mentioning FASS here, because I personally do not recommend them due to all the failures I've witnessed and/or heard about.
Wow that is news to me.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co. Neil View Post
sorry for bustin in but would it be btter to go with the airdog and raptor? or just the AD II?
Raptor is a replacement for your stock pump(HFCM) with a built in regulator. The airdog will remove air from the fuel.
So you could/would use both. The raptor to increase fuel pressure and the airdog to remove the air which will provide clean consistent diesel.

My opinion-----I just don't know yet..............

Correct me if I am wrong Kurt / Evan.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:45 PM

CO.Neil------Forget everything I just said, I just saw the end of your post "or AD II"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.