Considering a 6.0L for my first diesel. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Considering a 6.0L for my first diesel.

Ever since I have been old enough to drive I have always loved Diesel trucks and now that I am out of college and have a good paying job I have been in the market for a diesel pickup. All my buddies are duramax fans and have told me not to waste my time with ford. Deep down though I am a ford fan and plus i think its a stronger truck, especially when they are going through tierods every other week due to that IFS. Straigh axle is the way to go. I just was curious on the 6.0L and what are the best years for them and what to really watch out for when modifying it. I have heard horror stories about head gaskets and turbo bearings going on the 6.0L. any info is helpful. I just need piece of mind that when or if i get a 6.0L i will be satisfied with power and not have to worry about it breaking down randomly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Old 05-29-2009, 07:14 PM

try to get a 05 psd with the 6.0 cause those seem to be a good year. stay away from the 03's. those are hit or miss. fords tend to go through ball joints too. good thing about the 6.0 motors is they come with the 5r110 tranny which hold up way better than a dmax allison. if you plan on making over 500 horse, you will need to get head studs. if you beat on your truck hard, you will need head studs. i owned two 7.3's and two 6.0's and never had any major problems with any of them. i would never go back to a 7.3 after driving a 6.0 but others will say the opposite. hope this helps ya and welcome to the org.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:14 PM

if you want a 6.0 get a 06-07 for sure maybe 05 ford trucks are alot stronger than chevys from what ive seen. and if you get a chip make sure you get head gaskets.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:18 PM

I wanted a diesel for years also, and $5/gal and a timely repair on what I was driving helped me get one. I have an 06 and love it. I think 05 to 07 are the best, 100K warranty on motor and turbo. I would say if your going to mod it be prepared for a head gasket job, remove the cab and front cap from the truck. Maybe look into one with gasket job already done. I'm fairly certain the turbos have bushings and not bearings. Don't be scared do some homework on the trucks maintenance.

Mika
Old 05-29-2009, 08:32 PM

I think its a great choice for a first diesel. I was initially only looking at cummins' but after driving mine I was hooked on the 6.0. I've driven mine pretty hard and not had any major failures, but i've only had it 3500 miles. I have 121k on it now. Everything is made pretty solid so you dont have to upgrade the entire drivetrain just to add some HP to it.

Good luck on your search!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:54 PM

I have had a 04 cummins and just traded in an 05 Dmax for my 6.0 and love it, it rides and feels like a truck. If you arent dealing with an egr are a 6.0 you will deal with injectors or fueling problems on a dmax or just being a Dodge/Fiat owner with a Cummins.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
if you want a real 6.0 and arent scared then get an 03
Old 05-29-2009, 11:12 PM

i would also suggest getting an 05-07 6.0, the 03 and 04's are a little more hit and miss i think although my buddy has had an 04 that was a friggin beast and never had a lick of trouble, now he has an 05 with 40k on it and has put 4 injectors in it (his fault, it gelled and he wouldnt stop trying to run it) and last week it started smoking and running terrible, runnin fuel out the exhaust, now hes getting a short block put in it this week lol something came apart and took out 1 or 2 cylinders. I have an 06 that has 56k on it and runs like a dream i love it to death wouldnt have anything else. i would look around find one that has been taken care of and you will be fine just be prepared to spend money if problems do arise because repair arent cheap (im not saying this to scare you) as to your friends with the duramax's well, let them be typical chevy punks and talk trash, dont expect to beat them just be a man and deal with it, in the end youll have the better truck in my opinion.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:24 PM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

I wouldn't be afraid of any year of the 6.0. Just do your research! That is the most important part. I have an '04 and it has been wonderful. As long as you buy smart, you'll be ok. I LOVE MY 6.0!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.