My first PSD... Got some ?'s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My first PSD... Got some ?'s

Hey guys,
I just bought a 2004 CC SB PSD with 60k miles. I am an import tuner by heart but if I needed a truck in the past it has always a Chevy. I have had this truck for a month now and I absolutely love it. When I buy a new vehicle I try to find out everything I can about its strengths and weaknesses. So after reading threads on the forums here and watching the powerstrokehelp guy (anyone else think this guy is drunk?) on youtube, I have decided to take on some repairs/maintenance to the truck. I did the oil and both fuel filters the week I bought the truck. I wanted to change the trans fluid but I have read not to change it if you don't know it has been done before. TorF? I can see the front diff is leaking and I can hear a hummm in the front end. So I am replacing the diff cover and fluids. Dealer says 80/90 and utube guy says 75/145 for both front and rear.. Which one do I use? I can see soot from all 4 cylinders of the driver side manifold, so I will be adding the gaskets. How hard is this to do? Do they absolutely HAVE TO be surfaced? Am I likely to break the bolts holding the manifolds? Ever seen an EGT probe hole plugged? I wont even get into oil leaks, it will go to the dealer for dye. The glow plug harnesses look wet, so I am going to replace those. Should I replace the GPs one time?
Most importantly I just decided to pop off the degas cap to check the color of the coolant. The coolant level is right at or just above the black top section of the bottle. I have read the level should be at the min or just below. (All Cold Temps) No sticker on the bottle. Should I use a fluid pump and suck it down to the proper level? Could this cause anything bad? Signs of head gasket or EGR cooler failure? Should I replace the degas cap for good measure?
Sorry, for the months worth of ?'s in one post.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
First off let me say to the ORG!! Secondly you might get more responses from the guys that work on these trucks for a living if you post your questions in the 6.0 section.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

good idea. how do I move the thread? Oh you're a mod right... Can you move it for me?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Still Alive

Yep I will move it for you. Go ahead and post up another intro if you would like to.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks josh
Old 05-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Still Alive

No problem.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

did I ask too many questions at one time?
Can I get a suggestion on the very full degas bottle. I am worried about this. Should i pump some of it out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.