Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Solargizer

928 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ChrisSki 
#1 ·
Anybody install a Solargizer? Supposed to keep batteries from dying when parked a long time.

They're available on E-Bay or Cragslist for much cheaper. I do not drive this as much as I'd like with all the work related traveling I have to do. I came home after the truck had been shut off for 60 days, and the batteries were drained dead. These are used for vehicles like 5 tons, trucks, and cars. It trickle charges the battery. Some people claim that they go several months and the vehicle starts up without a problem. Anyway, not only did I have two dead batteries, I don't have a lot of time when I'm home and I really don't like removing the batteries and bringing them to AUTOZONE to load test, even though although only eight months old, they replaced one of two batteries last time I did that.

#2 ·
I have a small panel that's around 12"x12" on the front of my camper that keeps my battery's topped off like a champ. Never had a issue after installing it. And I thought very hard about doing this on my truck as well. Just never got around to it. I don't see any down side to this at all.

#3 ·
Solar panel systems have gotten better over the years. Make sure it has a control box to prevent from overcharging. The one that you showed seems it does. Another thing is to make sure you use a 12 volt dc panel and not the 24 volt version you linked to.

#4 ·
Should anyone be searching for info, I got two solargizers. The one on my car died after a year. The solar cell had no output, and the control box would not work when batteries were inserted. I don't know what caused the two parts to die on the solargizer.

The one in my truck is going strong.

Both were purchased off of Cragslist from a local individual for a good discount.

#5 ·
I keep one plugged in to the cig lighter (always on) when I don't drive the truck weekly. I believe its a 5w system that cost around $20. I have one on all of my trucks that don't get driven much. They always have a strong battery when I go to crank them.

#6 ·
Anybody install a Solargizer? Supposed to keep batteries from dying when parked a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/Solargizer-ma...sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Solargizer+i735x150-24I

They're available on E-Bay or Cragslist for much cheaper. I do not drive this as much as I'd like with all the work related traveling I have to do. I came home after the truck had been shut off for 60 days, and the batteries were drained dead. These are used for vehicles like 5 tons, trucks, and cars. It trickle charges the battery. Some people claim that they go several months and the vehicle starts up without a problem. Anyway, not only did I have two dead batteries, I don't have a lot of time when I'm home and I really don't like removing the batteries and bringing them to AUTOZONE to load test, even though although only eight months old, they replaced one of two batteries last time I did that.
So did you get it?

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."

#7 ·
I did get the solargizer.

I got one on my truck from E-Bay, and that still works. The truck sat outside in the driveway with the solargizer for 5 months and started like a champ. I now garage the truck versus parking it in the street, so the purpose of the solargizer for long term storage is defeated.

I got a different Solargizer from Cragslist for my car. That's the one that failed.

#8 ·
#9 ·
It seems good. I suppose you could mount the panel on top of the hood, you'd just need to figure how to keep the wires from chafing when opening the hood.

I had mounted my solargizer above the sunroof with Velcro for longterm storage. When I drove, I removed it from the top of the sunroof and put it on the dashboard. The solargizer was also not flexible. I do go off road and tree branches are hitting the top of the panel, so I did not want it exposed. The wires look big enough on the streamlight they would not be conducive to mounting along the windshield like the satellite antennas.

For best results, these panels do need to be mounted on the outside of the vehicle. When I hooked my panel up outside, I got something like 350 milliamps outside the vehicle, and when I put the panel inside it dropped to 100 milliamps. The windshields absorb the UV that solarpanels need to make light. With tinted windows, this could get even worst.

It's a lot of money, but things like "overcharge protection" and "will not reverse current at night time" are important.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.