Looking at a 6.0L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at a 6.0L

Hi, I was looking for a new truck that I could haul stuff with. I found a pretty good deal on an 06 Ford f250 with the 6.0L and automatic and 63000 miles. I know that ford had alot of problems with the 6.0L so I was wondering how I could know Im getting one that will last a long time and not give me little problems all of the time?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Start with an Oasis report, it's like a carfax report, but for warranty repairs. Some people here can get those for you. The 2006 and 7 are supposed to be the cream of the crop for the 6.0. I love mine, and have had no problems (25k). I say go for it, after the Oasis report comes back clean
Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok. i will look into that. Thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 12:17 PM

I have a neighbor that has well over 100k on his 07, and that thing see's 90% heavy towing, and the rest is in town type driving. He had the HG's done, and maybe a couple more things, but minimal. He doesn't treat it very well either.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Almost 100K on my 04 that pulls heavy ALL the time and ZERO issues. I love my 6.0 and would recommend one to anyone if they buy it correctly. Like the first post said it is critical that you get an oasis and a car fax. Also, try to get service history. If it all comes back OK then buy, if not, walk.... Also Ford offers a ESP warranty that will extend the warranty on your diesel for another 2yr/100K. I think they are good insurance and worth the $1800 you can find them for....
Old 05-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What about the automatic transmission? How well do they hold up? Cause I know a few people that had to get them replaced
Old 05-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

6.0s have one good transmission behind them. wouldnt worry to much about it.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
He had the HG's done, and maybe a couple more things, but minimal.
Holy smokes, you consider head gaskets minimal?? That's a $2000 hit, at least

I love my truck, but I just had to have the EGR cooler replaced and the oil cooler fixed. Under warranty, but still makes me a little nervous, and my truck only has 25k miles
Old 05-09-2009, 01:18 PM

Do the Oasis report...if its good go get it. 63,000 miles is nothing for a 6.0. Once you get it and to maintain longevity, use a quality synthetic from Mobil 1, Rotella T, or Amsoil, and change it every 5,000 miles, change the fuel filters every 10,000 miles, clean the EGR valve every 10,000 miles, do a full radiator flush and fill at 100,000 miles.

The tranny has to be flushed every 30,000 miles. If you keep up with the maintenance and stay away from tuners that have crazy 150+ hp tunes, your rig will last you a VERY long time, even pulling heavy loads. I keep up with the maintenance on my '04, I have no headgaskets or EGR cooler deletes, and I do not have a tuner. I have 85,000 miles and consistently tow heavy loads ( front loaders, tractors, bob cats) from FL to TX, I own a land excavating company.... NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM TO DATE
Old 05-10-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
I have a neighbor that has well over 100k on his 07, and that thing see's 90% heavy towing, and the rest is in town type driving. He had the HG's done, and maybe a couple more things, but minimal. He doesn't treat it very well either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
Holy smokes, you consider head gaskets minimal?? That's a $2000 hit, at least

I love my truck, but I just had to have the EGR cooler replaced and the oil cooler fixed. Under warranty, but still makes me a little nervous, and my truck only has 25k miles
The reason I said 'minimal' is because of what he hauls (20k) over the mountain passes here in CO and NM, and the highlighted things I pointed out. He tries to do the speed limit, and pushes the truck too hard IMO. 'Minimal' for somebody that beats on their truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.