6.0 turbo problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 turbo problems

I'm still new to the site so a member suggested to me that since I had no responses to my question that I posted in 6.0 Motor Problems Sub-Forum, that maybe this place might generate more response. So here goes, my 2003 6.0 is now on it's 4th turbo. The dealer tells me to drive it more and granted I have not been driving it a whole lot. I have a collection of 3 other drivers, so that is why I only have 19,000 miles on the Powerstroke. I have begun using the F-350 as my primary driver since the turbo was replaced 2 weeks ago. My question is this, does any after market company make a turbo that will live longer than the variable vane factory turbo? I know ATS makes a great looking turbo and they claim to have eliminated the problems that the factory turbo has, but at $4,000 their turbo is a little pricey for me. Have any of you guys replaced your factory turbo with an after maket turbo that you are happy with? I have 17 more months on my warranty, but after that time all repair expenses are on me, as you all well know. Any help is appreciated, because selling my truck is not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

i have talked to a couple of people on here that have the ats, so i went and bought that setup myself and getting ready to have the heads studded and new gaskets, they say that ats is the best on the market right now, like the old saying goes you get what you pay for. I know bd as a vgt new turbo out and its under the elite web site, and if i remember i believe it runs for right around 2500.Elite Diesel.* Welcome to the Elite thier is the website. hope that helps
Old 01-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What was the problem with the other turbos? What is your driving style? These trucks like to be worked. I have an 04, and have under 28K miles on it. The vanes stuck once. I drive it like I stole it. Keith
Old 01-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

i also have a 04 with 72 thousands miles on it, and i have been threw one turbo the vanes stuck, i use mine as my daily driver and to haul a 35ft trailer and i run the wheels off her. i dont think thier is anything wrong persay with the other turbos i just know that ats has been around along time and will back thier work with no questions asked. thats what sold me and plus with thier kit it inculdes the banks techi cooler and afe stage 2 kit
Old 01-24-2007, 02:57 PM

Do you have a tuner in your truck? If not, your EGR valve might be getting stuck. It could also be your turbo is getting full of sud. You do not want to walk away from a VGT turbo unless you want tons of turbo lag. Much more than you have now.

Please, feel free to call me 352-528-0688, PM me or email me. We will be more than happy to help you any way we can.

DJ
Old 01-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Serving Our Country!

when i talked to the people at ats they siad thier wasnt hardy any lag with thier new turbo set on th ats 2000 any truth to this
Old 01-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I see you have a SCT coming. Did you have the tuner turn off the EGR? It will keep the crud out oy the turbo, and the rest of the intake. Keith
Old 01-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

i just got it today and dj is sending me the tunes today i am just waiting for them to show up so i can down load them
Old 01-25-2007, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokecwby View Post
when i talked to the people at ats they siad thier wasnt hardy any lag with thier new turbo set on th ats 2000 any truth to this
If ATS is telling you their turbo has no lag, they must know - but I don't see it.

I asked if you had a tuner cause in most cases the tunes will reduce/eliminate alot of the lag. It is a less expensive alternative.

DJ
Old 01-25-2007, 05:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks everyone for you help and advice. As far as my turbo problems they have always been the same.....stuck vanes. I didn't drive my F-350 very much the first two years that I owned it. When the tech put the 3rd turbo on the truck he told me to drive it hard and often. So for the last 13 months I have driven it hard every time I am in the truck. However, maybe I don't drive enought miles each year? 5,000+ last year. I do drive it EVERY week however. I just have a difficult time with the theory that Ford gives me............"you are not driving enough, so parts wear out and break". I was raised to believe that when you drove "too much and too many miles, parts wear out and break". Ford's theory is Illogical to me. I was trying to keep the truck stock, I already have a race car. But I have nothing AGAINST modifying the 6.0 and I DEFINITELY will NOT replace the turbo with a factory piece when I have to pay for it myself. I am going aftermarket. djdieseltech thanks for your offer to help me. I am keeping your phone number. For NOW my F-350 is running fine, but I know it probably is only a matter of time before the turbo vanes stick again. I WILL telephone you for assistance when needed. Thanks very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.