Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Considering buying an 03 Excursion 6.0L PSD but concerned about the high mileage

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  JK23112 
#1 ·
It's a 03 Ex Eddie Bauer 6.0L PSD with 108K miles for sale by original owner. Owner says the engine has been trouble free since he bought it new. He is asking $12K. I've read about sooo many problems with the 6.0L PSD that I'm very leary about buying one with this many miles. How many miles can you run one of these diesels before you have to start worrying about major engine repairs ? Appreciate any insight you guys can share from your personal experience. Thanks!

#2 ·
First off welcome to the ORG. I would get an oasis report on the EX. An oasis report is Fords vehicle history report. Any major or warranty repairs will show up and all you need to do is get the VIN # and go to a Ford dealer and ask for the oasis report and ask if they'll do it for free. Chances are they will. If the report comes back good as in not many repairs then it might be a good truck but if the report comes back showing injector, turbo, hardstart problems then I would walk. Now about the EGR and Headgaskets. The EGR's are a joke and every 6.0 will have a busted EGR sometime in it's life. The headgaskets are known to blow do to the headbolts stretching and if the truck has had the HG's replaced then it's good for another 100K stock working miles. Major engine repairs are the HG's and the bedplate leaking oil. The HG's can be done with the cab on and engine in the truck but it can cost upwards of $3400 for a HG job. The bedplate requires the engine to be pulled out and I dunno what that cost.

#3 ·
Thanks a lot for the advice 05F250. I will definitely get the oasis report. Never heard of a bed plate, so I'll google up some info on that. So, do you think the head gaskets eventually blow on all PSD 6.0L diesels somewhere in the 100-150K mile range, or just the ones that have been worked hard ?

#6 ·
6.0L PSD Engine

:thumb:
That 6.0L might be a good one or a bad one; hard to say.
:dunno:

I drive "big rigs" for a living, and know that the tire company had to send out a road service unit to fix a flat tire on my tractor. The guy showed up in an F-350 (dual rear wheels) service truck. It was a 2003 with the 6.0L PSD under the hood. I asked him about the truck and he said it just turned over 200,000 miles on the original engine.
:icon_ford:

That's a lot of miles - and hours - on the engine because they leave it running the entire time the truck is in service. It powers their emergency lights, jacks, air impact wrenches, compressors, etc., etc. He said that he didn't know about how much maintenance had been done on it, but that the truck was reliable as the sun coming up in the morning.
:thumb:

** I will someday own a diesel-powered pickup truck! **

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.