How much fuel is used??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much fuel is used???

Does anyone know how much fuel is used to crank our trucks? If I had to guess I would say its a good bit.
The reason i ask is bc I've heard that its often better to let your truck stay running when you go to the grocery or walmart rather than turn it off bc it will use less fuel.
Also, this weekend i was talking to a buddy who leaves his truck run no matter how long hes away from it...at a 2-2.5 hr movie he lets it run...walks into cabelas knowing he'll be there for an hr or 2 he lets it run...but he doesn't leave it run bc he thinks it'll use less fuel, he leaves it run bc he says its good for the truck...any truth to that? any truth to either of these "theories"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Berm Buster

I know my dad used to let his pete run all night but that was because it was about 0 degrees with a -15 wind chill
Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 PM

Besides keeping the block from "freezing" in cold temps guys will let the truck idle so the oil cools down to a safe temp before turning the engine off. If the oil is hot and engine off it can warp the turbo. If I'm towing I'll let it idle 15 min. before turning it off. If I'm empty I just take the last 2 miles to my house easy and turn it off as soon as I put it in Park (P).
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Some of the long idle stuff got started a while ago. With our modern engines, some of things that were beneficial then are not as necessary now.

I watch my guages and shut off when the temp drops to 300*. I do that whether I am driving empty or towing my 5th Wheel.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 PM

ive read not to idle too long in our psd's. i guess they tend to wet stack.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:35 PM

i like to get below 250 egt that is
Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 AM

I've noticed that the last 2 diesels I've owned will not stay at the same rpms very long, they rev up for a bit then idle back down for a bit then back up again, over and over.
If I was going to let it idle, I would high idle it. Just for oil pressure.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:45 AM

I know this doesn't answer the original question and I don't know how true this is but, I had a tech tell me that the F350's and up you could let idle all night long and it wouldn't hurt them. but you should never do it with a F250 unless you have installed a high idle mod. i don't know if idleing at the low rpm will cause to much moisture inn the motor or what? like i said i don't know how true that is....
Old 04-28-2009, 03:08 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Ok with big rigs and trains yes idle is better. But with the engines we have it really is not beneficial and it is wasteful of fuel.

For one thing the tech that said it is ok to let a F350 idle and not an F250 must not be a diesel tech. Because the 7.3L in the F350 is the same as the F250 as long as they are the same year truck.

Now with the 6.0L I would be concerned with carbon build up in the egr. Causing the egr to clog and fail. Which then interfers with the running of the engine. Which then you either have to clean the egr yourself or take it in to get cleaned.

Now in the winter I will let my truck idle when filling it up, and if it is a quick stop like running into the local party store. But to let it idle for 2 hours while walking around a store. That is just crazy.

Wet stacking I don't think our trucks have that problem as much as the big rigs do. But it is possible.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:15 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
Some of the long idle stuff got started a while ago.
exactly , thats more big rig stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsehauler View Post
I know this doesn't answer the original question and I don't know how true this is but, I had a tech tell me that the F350's and up you could let idle all night long and it wouldn't hurt them. but you should never do it with a F250 unless you have installed a high idle mod. i don't know if idleing at the low rpm will cause to much moisture inn the motor or what? like i said i don't know how true that is....
this tech you talked to is a moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Ok with big rigs and trains yes idle is better. But with the engines we have it really is not beneficial and it is wasteful of fuel.

For one thing the tech that said it is ok to let a F350 idle and not an F250 must not be a diesel tech. Because the 7.3L in the F350 is the same as the F250 as long as they are the same year truck.

Now with the 6.0L I would be concerned with carbon build up in the egr. Causing the egr to clog and fail. Which then interfers with the running of the engine. Which then you either have to clean the egr yourself or take it in to get cleaned.

Now in the winter I will let my truck idle when filling it up, and if it is a quick stop like running into the local party store. But to let it idle for 2 hours while walking around a store. That is just crazy.

Wet stacking I don't think our trucks have that problem as much as the big rigs do. But it is possible.
well said scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.