Lockers..."Am I wrong?" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lockers..."Am I wrong?"

OK, so let me bounce this one. Truck and mods are listed below, except tire size, which is 305 70 R16. MIGHT go one size larger, but I'll never go more than that. I'd lose too much functionality. Don't see a need to make much more power than I do now, but I'll never say never to that. Anyways, I don't REALLY go hunting for off-road situations, but when I get into them, I am seriously let down by the factory LS. For towing, it's mainly a 19'6 Triton with a 200. If I ever get a car hauler, I will be towing a 2002 Trans-Am. So, not really doing the extra heavy duty stuff. Not too concerned about the tire wear. I'm thinkin a Detroit sounds like the best bet. Strong, worry free, no maintenance. I drove a Jeep with 37s and a Detroit for a week one time, and hated it. But I'm told a longer wheel-base and more weight takes out the squirrel-i-ness. For the front, eh...I'm undecided. Not sure I REALLY need something up front, but while I'm considering it all, why not. Don't want an ARB. Too much extra crap, too expensive, not what I want. I'm thinkin something along the lines of a Tru-trac. Again, no maintenance, doesn't sound to be too "intrusive". So, "Am I wrong? OK then."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
you talking about front and rear or only rear?

i would not do a detroit locker for the rear if your towing... i would do a detroit tru trac....

and i would only do a selectable locker for the front...
Old 04-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
you talking about front and rear or only rear?

i would not do a detroit locker for the rear if your towing... i would do a detroit tru trac....

and i would only do a selectable locker for the front...
Looking at Detroit in the rear, and the tru trac up front. So, no detroit if I'm doing any towing at all? Is that because of the jerk ya get when it engages?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You need a selectable locker up front, not a tru trac
Old 04-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose350 View Post
You need a selectable locker up front, not a tru trac
Why? Please edumacate me. I was lead to believe that a selectable locker up front was only good for going straight, and if you got hung up with your wheels turned much at all, that you would blow u-joints too easy.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no you want a selectable locker up front so when you turn you dont leave a spool on the ground.

With a locker when you are stuck you can turn it on and get yourself out, then unlock it to turn.

With a tru trac its going to try and be locking whenever you turn, very bad, very bad indeed.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:59 PM
one day at a time

As far as the rear goes, I'm not a fan of a locker for a street truck. The tru trac is the only way to go. It will also do pretty much anything you need it to do just like the locker, but waaay more street friendly. Only reason IMO you'd need to do anything at all up front is if you do some serious mudding or sled pulling. But like the guys before me said, only go selectable.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:19 PM

I have detroit lockers front and rear. The stock LS is the worst piece of junk. With a detroit locker in the rear and the weight of these trucks you will not know it is there, most of the time. When you turn corners the inside wheel will slip if your on the throttle because the unit stays locked up virtually 100% of the time, and you do have to be careful in the rain. Every now and then you will hear a clunk in tight parking lots. YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY HAVE TWO WHEEL TRACTION NO MATTER WHAT. The Detroit locker is very durable unit and I tow heavy loads...18k-20k and haven't had a problem, with the stock 35 spline axles.

As for the front, I also have a detroit locker. It is a little difficult turning when in 4-wheel drive off road, but the truck is an absolute beast!!! Its probably more user friendly to have a true trac in the front or maybe even a Dana Track Lock.

But definately go with a detroit locker in the rear, you will not be dissapointed. TRUST ME.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
If you get a limited slip or a locker up front the truck will plow and not make a turns very well even on dry pavement. This is why you will want a selectable up front.... Or manual hubs that you can unlock. In the rear the locker will be predictable in the aspect that you will coast around corners and hope you don't jacknife if it is wet. The trutrac is a good rear end piece because it is not as agressive as a detroit and not as bad as the factory lsd
Old 04-28-2009, 05:54 AM

I have an F150 with true tracs front and rear and THEY ARE GREAT!!!!!! The front tru trac will not act like an LSD (it will stay open all the time) unless 4x4 is engaged. When the 4x4 is engaged it works as need and has saved me from getting real stuck in the middle of nowhere on more than one occasion.

DO NOT get a detroit for the rear. when you drive it will lock going around turns causing wheel hop and lurching. YOU WILL BE MISERABLE WITH A DETROIT IN THE REAR.

I would put a tru trac in the rear. its gear driven and much better than a stock locker. I don't have a SD but if your rear LSD was any where close to as crappy as mine, i don't know why Ford used them. For the front i would either do another tru track or a selectable like OX. That way you can control if the fronts are locked or you have to let the locker decide with the LSD.

micky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.