Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Which One Oil of the Three Brands

5K views 64 replies 34 participants last post by  OregonStroker 
#1 ·
Shell Rotella

Delo 400

Valvoline Heavy Duty

All are close in price. All are 15W-40 conventional. Which Brand?

#2 ·
None. Amsoil Synthetic.

#3 ·
Agreed,...go Amsoil:thumb:

#4 ·
valvoline premium blue extreme 5w-40 syn...nuff said

#6 ·
this is a dumb question and i dont mean to hijack the thread, but can you go back and forth between synthetic and dino oil? i know back in the day you werent supposed to but what is the rules on that now?

#22 ·
no one knows?

#7 ·
for the original question, rotella by far. its been used by otr truck companies for years. but then again, its all personal preference. as for synthetics, i think an investment in an oil bypass filtration system would yield far superior results over time. plus, be less expensive in the long run.

#9 ·
Amsoil 5w-40 !!!

#10 ·
Amsoil SUCKS and will sludge up your engine. Don't believe me???????? Ask a few of the tech's on here that have had the displeasure of working on one of those nasty mofo's. If you want a GOOD inexpensive dino oil for your money Motorcraft is quite excellent also.

#14 ·
Yeah a buddy of mine ran amsoil in his dodge hemi and it sludged his motor up to the point where it wouldn’t start.

#11 ·
Most popular diesel oil will be Rotella by far.
I tried it but decided to go back to AMSOIL. Bypass filtration soon to come

#12 ·
Everyone has there own opinions, but out of what brands you listed I would either go with Rotella or Valvoline. Heard good things about both so I dont think you can really go bad. If you want to spend more I would go with synthetic Rotella 5w40 or Valvoline 5w40...or if you really have a ton of money just go all out and spend 8+ bucks a quart for the other synthetic brand that everyone else talks about....I run Rotella 5w40 syn year round with no problems, and it costs about 22 bucks a gal.

#13 ·
i run rotella 5-40syn. Cost went down up here to $19 gal. I had heard though that some 6.0's had issues with certain oils foaming. I thought it was delo that was causing that problem, but i can't quite remember.

#16 ·
ive been using Amsoil oil over 30k miles and no problems !!!

#18 · (Edited)
For those who talk sludge with Amsoil...got proof?? I hear the same thing about Shell Rotella T syn, not good to use in the 6.0 due to the hydrocracked waxes, yet people still use it. Most use it without any problems. The ONLY problem that arises with Amsoil is leaving the oil in the motor for too long because Amsoil says it can last 25,000 miles. Amsoil doesn't contain any parrafin wax. You put ANY oil in a 6.0 for 25000 miles with no oil analysis or with no by-pass filtration and you will have sludge deposits.

Millions of gallons of Amsoil, Mobil 1, Shell, Delo, oils are all HEAVILY in the trucking industry and in light duty diesel engines. They're will be people all over that can find problems or issues with each of them, most are called opinions based on what they're buddy told them....

You can't run oil in a 6.0 or 6.4 for 20000 miles with no by pass filtration, and expect no sludge to happen, I dont care what oil your using. This is clearly why most of the owners with 6.0s do regular 5,000 mile oil changes, it's just cheap insurance to spending $13,000 for a new powerstroke motor:thumb:

#19 ·
This is clearly why most of the owners with 6.0s do regular 5,000 mile oil changes,
Agreed, I've tried a few different oils and have settled on Rottela syn. But no matter what oil I tried @ 5K miles the oil was dirty as heck running through stock filters.

Is there a perfict oil for 6.0's not realy. It all comes down to filtration that increases longevity of the oil. So use what you like!

#21 ·
i change my oil every 10k miles and the filters every 5k...all Amsoil !!!

#24 ·
the only reason i ask is my dad comes into town and takes the truck to tow his camper and is gone for months at a time, i would like to switch to Mobile 1, but if he's got it he wont use that, he'll just take it to the dealer and have them put motorcraft dino oil, which is whats in it now...

#25 ·
+1 Amsoil Syn here

#29 ·
Wow thought I was the only one. Amsoil=snakeoil. Sludged up my roomates engine pretty good (all the proof I need). I like the Synthetic Rotella and the Delo, looking forward to trying the Mobil 1 for turbo Diesels.

#31 ·
stop talkin up rotella dino, the only reason most you buy it over dello is because its cheaper. 3rd party independant studies have proven dell 400 is superior dino.

#33 ·
stop talkin up rotella dino, the only reason most you buy it over dello is because its cheaper.
Not ture at all. The reason i buy rotella is cuz i seen how good the oil works in big trucks like 18wheelers. I know alot of trucking companys that run rotella and get way over 1 million miles before a re-build. I think alot of it has to do with rotella. I take care of my truck really really good. I would have no problem spending xtra couple dollars for oil if it was worth it.

#34 ·
I'm currently running Schaeffer's 9000 5w40. It's the ONLY oil I've been able to go over 3 or 4 thousand miles with and NOT have the injectors complain. I'm changing at 7K Saturday because the injectors say it's time. At 21.72 + tax a gallon it's really hard NOT to use.

FWIW......most of the performance injector builders I know would tell you to NOT run Rotella in a 6.0 because of what they've seen it do. Delo 400 or Motorcraft would be a much better choice.

#35 ·
I dont know if its ay diffrence..... but my grandfather has a 00' 350 obs and he has ran reg. dino rotella in it since the first oil change. He now has approx. 187k with no engine problems at all. But like i said i dont know if theres any diff. between the 7.3 and the 6.0 I myself just switched to syn. rotella and i have had some problems with it but i dunno if thats just my truck or if its a common problem.:dunno:

#39 ·
i would say rotella dino and dello dino are basically the same exact oil, except for the fact that dello dino is rated a higher quality oil in several independent studies based on the additives. I think as long as u keep oil in the crank case of a 7.3 it will run forever regardless of weather its dello, shell, western family, walmart, safeway brand it doesnt matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.