Sloppy stearing? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 09:42 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sloppy stearing?

I drove my 2006 cc ps home and the stearing seems real sloppy? Is this normal on these years or should I have it checked out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I started noticing the same thing about 2 weeks ago but when I got wide tires it was a lot more noticable . I put my truck on the rack at school and noticed a very slight amount of movement in my tie rod ends but not side to side. It was more of a rotation in a perpindicular line to the linkage. I did find that my sector shaft seemed to be wiggling while rotating. The steering box is tight to the frame and the pitman arm, track bar and bushings,and drag link both look and feel fine. I had a recent alignment and I only have 48K on it. I did a search and found no recalls or TSB's. I did find this is a common problem on our trucks especially if they are lifted. It has been covered under warranty so I have read.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:17 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

My parents had to replace their stabilizer bar/drag link which helped their steering. Their truck is a 2005. I replaced my ball joints in my 01 which helped my steering problem.

Last edited by dieseldan2005; 04-22-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:21 PM

2 fords I test drove had stupid slop in them both dealers said it was normal '' I bought one of those two went home and took 4 full turns of the allen to get it nice and perfect .. normal my butt my had 22k and all the play was in the box but always check Balljoints and tie rod arms
Old 04-22-2009, 04:11 PM

ZMANN I assume you tightened the steering box, which way did you turn to tighten? I would guess clockwise would do it but I wont have a chance for a minute and then I wont have much time. Did it take long?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM

I adjusted my steering gear too. I don't know if it helped. They are another common thing to wear out. I called my dealer to ask them which way to turn it.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:02 PM

any more info on tightening the steering?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:27 PM

I did mine over 2 yrs ago. I can't honestly remember how far i turned it. Call your dealer and ask them. Mine told me how far to turn it cause i don't think you want to over tighten it. Try doing a google search for steering gear adjustments. That might give you your answer without calling the dealer.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:11 PM

It's a pain! I made an extension for my allen wrench by drilling a hole in some steel rod and inserting the wrench and pinching the rod closed then I cut the splash shield a little and had a block to help hold it up ,, then it took 2 wrenches ( metric) to loosen the top nut ( back it off about 3 full turns) then back off the lower nut about 2 turns hold the bottom nut with the wrench and tighten the allen clockwise .. do a little at a time and test drive but always tighten at least the bottom nut , you don't want to over tighten the Allen or it will bind the gears thats why you turn a little and drive a little
Old 04-22-2009, 07:14 PM

Thank you for the heads up. I would have went out thinking it would take 15 min.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.