05 F350 Brake Controller Problem - Help please! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 F350 Brake Controller Problem - Help please!

My master mechanic has checked my horse trailer wiring with a remote analyzer and he is able to activate the trailer brakes immediately with his gadget. When I slide my factory-installed OEM brake controller over to the right (with the key turned to the first On position) the trailer brakes do not go on. The mechanic says my right-hand turn signal goes on instead! I have been in contact with the Ford dealership and made an appointment for April 25th to get the brake controller inspected (hopefully, under my Extended Warranty!! My dilemma is also that the dealership accused me of meddling with the controller, a fuse, and maybe the 7-prong plug!! I have never touched any of it, I don't even know where the fuse box is! They then said the mechanic must have meddled with something. I cannot believe Ford is being so accusatory when they haven't even looked at my truck yet. Does anyone have any advice for me, or heard of any recalls for the brake controllers, or had any similar experiences? Also, I noticed several people on these forums are mentioning that the red trailer icon on the brake controller comes on randomly and for no apparent reason - I have the same problem with this too. Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did it work with the same trailer before.
I have seen several instances where people have their plugs wired different on trailers. I bought a horse trailer and when I plugged it in mine it locked brakes. They had aux wire and brake wire switched. My plug on truck was factory wired. I pulled cover off trailer plug and switched wires.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs down Trailer Brakes

On the early model 2005 trucks the controller does not apply full
brake voltage under 15 or 25 MPH. Seems like the cutoff was
mar or apr of 05. If it was mfg before that date it will be like that.
After that date the brake circuit works at any speed.
I got this information from another site.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Lefty5 & mtcarmelfarm for your very interesting and helpful ideas - I never thought of the trailer plug maybe being wired differently. I just got the "new" 95 Trails West horse trailer, I also have a VERY old horse trailer that I could re-check the brake controller with, it only has brakes on 1 axle, even though there are 2 axles - weird, eh? I bought the truck in April 05 - guess I'll have to check with Ford to find the mfg date. I did a test run with the trailer tonight and when manually sliding the controller to max force, the right front wheel locked up - from what I could see, the other 3 wheels weren't locking up, so maybe there's something wrong with the trailer brakes or wiring, even tho I just had it checked out by the mechanic & he said everything was fine - maybe not!? Bought the trailer from a friend with a Chevy dually and he never mentioned any braking problems - maybe I should compare his truck plug to mine?
Old 04-23-2009, 03:08 AM

LOL. The one I had to rewire was a Trailwest trailer too! Chevy puts the wiring schematic on the cover of their factory plug, telling what every prong is for. It is a good quick reference!
Old 04-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah - Ford puts the wiring diagram on the cover too - that's how the mechanic figured something was wrong. It was rather funny last night - I'm out there in the pitch dark with a flashlight, talking long distance on the phone with my brother, who is a mechanic too, and I'm saying "at 1 o'clock" it says the prong is for such-and-such - at "3 o'clock" the prong is for this-and-that - "at 5 o'clock" the prong is for..... etc. etc. - I went all around the cover that way - pretty inventive, eh? at least he understood what I meant! Not bad for a woman! lol Thanks for all your help.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:08 AM

Any luck on getting them to work?
Nothing like a woman with a big truck and horses!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have experienced a problem also with my factory controller. While hauling my car home my controller would randomly say my trailer was disconnected and I would loose brakes but not lights.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile

well......I talked to a mechanic at another Ford dealership and he said all their trucks have to be moving at least 10 mph before the computer or sensors or whatever detect the trailer being pulled and then the controller kicks in and does it's work - he said that's why you can adjust the force to be applied to find the "comfort" zone for the load that you are pulling etc. etc. etc. He said the remote analyzer that my mechanic used to check all the wiring, lights, brakes, etc. would have & should have applied the brakes on the trailer (that's exactly what did happen) but the truck controller wouldn't do it because the truck/trailer was stationary. I hooked up my really old trailer and took it for a couple of test runs down my steep hill and applied the brake controller at max force in the gravel - brakes worked well on both wheels, so I cancelled my appt with the other Ford dealership to have the truck checked out (I also indicated my disapproval that their service dept didn't advise me that the truck has to be moving for the brake controller to be effective! - I would have taken it in today probably for several hours of costly diagnostic to be told nothing is wrong with the truck - at least I beat them this time at their little game! Oh yeah - my brake controller often tells me that the trailer has been disconnected when I'm pulling it - so maybe that'll be my next inquiry (battle??) with Ford!! Hope this scenario helps other truck/trailer owners!!!
Old 04-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Maybe I am off base here but have to be going 10mph before it works makes no sense. Even at low speeds if you are pulling a big enough load that is going to be difficult to stop. I think its time to rip the factory controller out and get a Tekonsha prodigy controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.